ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet already in the transfer portal

Insane. This will mean the kid committed to three schools and transferred before wrestling his first match. What a brutal offseason for Ohio State.

My first assumption is obviously Penn State but I'm not sure how hard it is to transfer within conference.

Last edited:
Pedo will somehow find a way

I’m sure the thought is he will want to follow Snyder but PSU does have Seth Nevills who was a top 10 recruit in the 2018 class. He grey shirted last year and is expected to take a RS this year.

There is also a possibility Cassar could get another year of eligibility.

Whoever takes this guy is taking a huge risk IMO and I hope we are not considering him. I agree heis a huge talent but the baggage appears to be enormous.

I’m sure the thought is he will want to follow Snyder but PSU does have Seth Nevills who was a top 10 recruit in the 2018 class. He grey shirted last year and is expected to take a RS this year.

There is also a possibility Cassar could get another year of eligibility.

If he ends up at PSU what a crap thing to do to Nevills. At the same time, there is zero reason for these kids to be grey shirting. I kind of don’t feel sorry for them if stuff like this happens.

Reactions: osu2082
I bet he ends up at a place like Fresno State...

At the same time, there is zero reason for these kids to be grey shirting.

There are reasons greyshirting makes sense. In the case of Nevills, he was part of a big recruiting class that included Aaron Brooks, Michael Beard & Joe Lee. By greyshirting all of them, PSU was able to manage their scholly $, allowing Nickal & Nolf to graduate and come off the books.

Other times it makes sense to maximize the years a guy can start. G would have been a good example (Boo got hurt anyway). Or Haas if both Ferrari & Haas end up as heavies.

There are reasons greyshirting makes sense. In the case of Nevills, he was part of a big recruiting class that included Aaron Brooks, Michael Beard & Joe Lee. By greyshirting all of them, PSU was able to manage their scholly $, allowing Nickal & Nolf to graduate and come off the books.

Other times it makes sense to maximize the years a guy can start. G would have been a good example (Boo got hurt anyway). Or Haas if both Ferrari & Haas end up as heavies.

I think most of the risk in greyshirting falls on the kid and the reward goes to the school.

I bet he ends up at a place like Fresno State...

His next step is going to interesting to watch play out. PSU, Minn (if any of the Gable rumors are true) and OkSt could all be legitimate Lansing spots along with a wildcard destination.

The kid is obviously supremely talented but there are some concerns that will come with him.

Reactions: JAY45
His next step is going to interesting to watch play out. PSU, Minn (if any of the Gable rumors are true) and OkSt could all be legitimate Lansing spots along with a wildcard destination.

The kid is obviously supremely talented but there are some concerns that will come with him.
But where are you going to put him with the 2 heavyweights coming in? I doubt we are interested

Reactions: Wrassler17
I think most of the risk in greyshirting falls on the kid and the reward goes to the school.

I agree that greyshirting involves trust between the school & recruit, but it makes sense in certain situations. In the examples I gave, we know John would do right by G & Haas if they greyshirted - he's not going to recruit over them.

Here's another one - strictly hypothetical. Let say Stillwater product Cael Hughes (#30 in the class of 2023) really wants to be a Poke, but we have limited scholly $ at that time. If John convinced him to greyshirt, Balmeceda would graduate freeing up $.

We need to be taking advantage of all options.

Also, for a lot of schools, it allows the kid to get instate tuition. With kids going for 6 years these days, they are also coming out with Master degrees and wrestling for 4 years. If the kid wants to do it, I say great. If a coach wants to do it, I say great. Do not forget that the transfer portal thing works against coaches more than against kids.
Grey shirting is the wrestling world's way of taking a gap year. Some kids go to Europe and travel for a year and others go to club practice and practice for a year. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, for a lot of schools, it allows the kid to get instate tuition. With kids going for 6 years these days, they are also coming out with Master degrees and wrestling for 4 years. If the kid wants to do it, I say great. If a coach wants to do it, I say great. Do not forget that the transfer portal thing works against coaches more than against kids.
Grey shirting is the wrestling world's way of taking a gap year. Some kids go to Europe and travel for a year and others go to club practice and practice for a year. Different strokes for different folks.

I’m not exactly sure of the rule but kids can’t get in state tuition by simply greyshirting and living on campus.

I thought I heard Snyder was going to live in Pittsburgh, I wonder if he would go to Pitt?

I’m not exactly sure of the rule but kids can’t get in state tuition by simply greyshirting and living on campus.

Greyshirts are not enrolled in school, so they don't live on campus.

There was talk that Iowa had someone do what lookleft goright described, I believe it was Justin Stickley (not a top recruit). And I think PSU might have done the same with the Lee brothers (Nick & Joe). Both were top guys that passed on competing as HS seniors. They moved from IN to PA and trained at the NLWC. Think about that one - RTCs acting as both a minor league team & a major league team.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Greyshirts are not enrolled in school, so they don't live on campus.

There was talk that Iowa had someone do what lookleft goright described, I believe it was Justin Stickley (not a top recruit). And I think PSU might have done the same with the Lee brothers (Nick & Joe). Both were top guys that passed on competing as HS seniors. They moved from IN to PA and trained at the NLWC. Think about that one - RTCs acting as both a minor league team & a major league team.

Your legal guardians have to move their primary residence in order for a college student to gain in state tuition unless there are some neighboring state agreements in place.

A college bound student can’t simply move to the state where he or she plans to go to college and gain in state tuition.

It’s extremely rare as the vast majority of incoming college students are “dependents” and cant gain in state tuition by simply moving to the state of their perspective university.

In rare cases a student could prove to be financially independent, file taxes (his parents would have to change their filing) and establish residency with 12 months of the above in a state but again it is extremely rare as the guidelines for the above are not easy.

It’s extremely rare as the vast majority of incoming college students are “dependents” and cant gain in state tuition by simply moving to the state of their perspective university.

In rare cases a student could prove to be financially independent, file taxes (his parents would have to change their filing) and establish residency with 12 months of the above in a state but again it is extremely rare as the guidelines for the above are not easy.
Right you just have to gain residency. Get a job and an apartment for a year

Right you just have to gain residency. Get a job and an apartment for a year

The requirements make it tougher than just having your parents sign a lease and working 10 hours a week at a fast food restaurant which is why it is very rarely done especially among athletes.

When I coached in Illinois all a kid had to do was prove he lived in the state for a semester. Kids could present an electric bill and they were considered instate. Coaches used to offer a kid nothing for the first semester and then a full ride for the second semester. Then the next year he just got a half ride for the whole year. It totally skirted the out of state tuition problem. The kid did not have to prove financial independence at all.
In AZ where my brother went to school, he had to present a years worth of W-2s before he could claim instate tuition. So he basically took a full year off school after his Junior year (of college) and worked for a year in AZ. Not all states have the same requirements - that is my point.

Bad news, beating Penn. St just got harder. At least we aren't Ohio St where their rival takes Snyder from them and his protégé follows him to Penn. St.

Gonna be interesting to watch. Cassar has the ability to get another year next year and the little Nevills who was a top recruit is RS there now. Gotta think he will leave it with Kerks history PSU might not be his final destination.

The other thing this shines a spotlight on is the illegal side of these RTC’s. PSU has very little to no money and it’s hard to not to read between the lines that post grad $$ or positions were guaranteed.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
For discussion.

My two quick thoughts on new rules for RTC's

1. If you wrestle for a particular school you cannot attend the RTC associated with that school. If you transfer or wrestle for more than one school you cannot wrestle for those schools RTC's (maybe there is a time period after eligibility where you can but not immediately) (would this stop the abuse of "scholarship money" gray area)

2. While in school, during the school year, you may not wrestle with members of the RTC associated with that school. (like working out with professionals)

It just seems like there needs to be some separation between these entities, universities and RTC's...i.e. the amateur athlete and the professional.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT