ADVERTISEMENT

Just buy em' off!

What do you see as the solution to this dastardly deed of company executives donating from “their considerable personal wealth” to politicians they want to influence?

Prevent the politicians from voting on the bills that would impact the donors -- like judges have conflict of interest, so should legislators.

Reactions: Pokeabear
You fail to post anything about contributions to democrat politician's campaigns, why? Their voting habits based on conflicts of interest?

However, I do agree with you that bill voting and conflicts of interest, particularly with lobbyists and donors, is unacceptable and needs to be managed (regulated?) in some way for the public to see it more clearly.

You fail to post anything about contributions to democrat politician's campaigns, why? Their voting habits based on conflicts of interest?

However, I do agree with you that bill voting and conflicts of interest, particularly with lobbyists and donors, is unacceptable and needs to be managed (regulated?) in some way for the public to see it more clearly.

Go get em' Tiger.

That's what I saw in news. My proposed solution doesn't discriminate among ideologies.

Every bill effects every citizen. No votes could ever be taken.

No more than every lawsuit does.

Prevent the politicians from voting on the bills that would impact the donors -- like judges have conflict of interest, so should legislators.

Does this mean that every Democrat should abstain from every energy discussion given the donations received from Solar, Wind, and other 'green' organizations? Or should the power to influence only be restricted against the positions you disagree with?

Does this mean that every Democrat should abstain from every energy discussion given the donations received from Solar, Wind, and other 'green' organizations? Or should the power to influence only be restricted against the positions you disagree with?

I dunno. Maybe.

I guess under your scenario if these people wanna cast votes.... they can't be accepting much money, huh?

Term limits would greatly reduce this. If you cannot stay in “power” nobody would contribute to you. See Clinton Foundation.

If term limits worked you'd think our state government would be cleaner. Care for a little history lesson in the quality of our august solons?

If term limits worked you'd think our state government would be cleaner. Care for a little history lesson in the quality of our august solons?
It is always applicable to compare state and federal governments. ALWAYS.

I dunno. Maybe.

I guess under your scenario if these people wanna cast votes.... they can't be accepting much money, huh?

Much? Why not none? Why is any donation acceptable and not considered bribary? Why is my donation ok, but an oil company's not?

Much? Why not none? Why is any donation acceptable and not considered bribary? Why is my donation ok, but an oil company's not?

All great questions! Maybe none, and your money could conflict someone out, too? It's almost as if there'd be... no money if it's gamed out to its logical conclusion.

I look forward to the conservative solutions, what do you propose?

All great questions! Maybe none, and your money could conflict someone out, too? It's almost as if there'd be... no money if it's gamed out to its logical conclusion.

I look forward to the conservative solutions, what do you propose?
I'm not a conservative, but my solution would be to eliminate the power of the government to regulate business, which would eliminate the need for businessmen to "buy" politicians. Businessmen see government intervention in one of two ways. First, they see an opportunity to "buy" influence and keep competition at bay. Or, second, they are victims of politicians' avarice, and the only way to survive is to pay the ransom that is demanded. Eliminate the power, eliminate the corruption.

Reactions: capanski
I'm not a conservative, but my solution would be to eliminate the power of the government to regulate business, which would eliminate the need for businessmen to "buy" politicians. Businessmen see government intervention in one of two ways. First, they see an opportunity to "buy" influence and keep competition at bay. Or, second, they are victims of politicians' avarice, and the only way to survive is to pay the ransom that is demanded. Eliminate the power, eliminate the corruption.

Government by Monsanto! Monsanto would put safety over their bottom line. They don't need regulated.

What makes you think the market wouldn’t “regulate” their safety standards?

Reality. It has not.

What makes you think it would? Have you seen the excesses of American business before there was regulation? Would it be different this time around?

Reality. It has not.

What makes you think it would? Have you seen the excesses of American business before there was regulation? Would it be different this time around?
Of course there are no excesses or corruption between government agents and business executives! No, wait, isn't that what you are so concerned about in the OP?

Your lack of faith that free people can look after themselves is somewhat astonishing. How do you reconcile your concern for immoral shady business people dealing with free people with the same or worse immoral shady business people dealing under the table with immoral shady government agents, especially considering the immoral shady government agents leave regular citizens with no options?

Of course there are no excesses or corruption between government agents and business executives! No, wait, isn't that what you are so concerned about in the OP?

Your lack of faith that free people can look after themselves is somewhat astonishing. How do you reconcile your concern for immoral shady business people dealing with free people with the same or worse immoral shady business people dealing under the table with immoral shady government agents, especially considering the immoral shady government agents leave regular citizens with no options?

That's a damn good question Dan.

(The short answer is thateven though faith isnt his thing, Sys doesnt realize that he's using faith...even in the face of evidence.)

But let's turn to Sys for a smart hot take response:

tenor.gif

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT