ADVERTISEMENT

Junior National duals Tulsa

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Oklahoma team won its first 3 duals but in the championship for their pool they lost to Ohio. Jersey Robb at 195 showed it was a muscular athlete probably better suited for football. He lost twice and against Shumate from Ohio he lost tf 11-0. Shumate is ranked ahead of him rankings and is also a senior but it was a man against a boy in this match. AJ Heeg looked more than solid at 182 and won his matches. Jace Roller won his matches. Jordan Williams won his matches but had to comeback in two of them but looked strong at 160. Cael Hughes undefeated at 132 and looked good. Kael Voinovich won his 3 matches and wrestled well. Sam Smith lost 2 out of 3 matches and looked undersized at 120. I hate to say it but AJ Heeg looked the best in this tournament so far and I believe he is an OU recruit. Our team could have used both the Ferrari's and Ladarion Lockett to be more competitive.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping that Jersey Robb would be a stud. Doesn’t sound like that is the case.

Oklahoma team won its first 3 duals but in the championship for their pool they lost to Ohio. Jersey Robb at 195 showed it was a muscular athlete probably better suited for football. He lost twice and against Shumate from Ohio he lost tf 11-0. Shumate is ranked ahead of him rankings and is also a senior but it was a man against a boy in this match. AJ Heeg looked more than solid at 182 and won his matches. Jace Roller won his matches. Jordan Williams won his matches but had to comeback in two of them but looked strong at 160. Cael Hughes undefeated at 132 and looked good. Kael Voinovich won his 3 matches and wrestled well. Sam Smith lost 2 out of 3 matches and looked undersized at 120. I hate to say it but AJ Heeg looked the best in this tournament so far and I believe he is an OU recruit. Our team could have used both the Ferrari's and Ladarion Lockett to be more competitive.
Heeg has looked good but Cael Hughes has wrestled 5 greco matches and lost 1 to Minnesota and he teched the guy in freestyle easily. Also in that greco match on several throws Hughes seemed to have the advantage and slipped some and gave up big points. He has had 4 freestyle matches and won each at least by tech. I like Cael Hughes but Oklahoma is in trouble tomorrow with forfeiting several weight and has some other weak weight classes. Jordan Williams has not wrestled good and lost his last match to Minnesota decisively ( I never heard of the guy). I don't know if the Ferrari's are injured or what is going on and yes we could have used Lockett and Blankenship also. This year Oklahoma's best wrestlers are bunched in a few weight classes. Jersey Robb has not seemed to improve at all since his sophomore year but maybe we will jump a level soon ( Shumate beat Haas last week just as bad as he beat soon to be senior in high school Jersey Robb). But overall most of our recruits senior years are very disappointing because of injury or not so good performances. It gets to be very disappointing and I sure would like some good surprises with the Cowboys. Also someone said Heeg will transfer to Stillwater High and so he could end up being a Cowboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oberebo
Heeg has looked good but Cael Hughes has wrestled 5 greco matches and lost 1 to Minnesota and he teched the guy in freestyle easily. Also in that greco match on several throws Hughes seemed to have the advantage and slipped some and gave up big points. He has had 4 freestyle matches and won each at least by tech. I like Cael Hughes but Oklahoma is in trouble tomorrow with forfeiting several weight and has some other weak weight classes. Jordan Williams has not wrestled good and lost his last match to Minnesota decisively ( I never heard of the guy). I don't know if the Ferrari's are injured or what is going on and yes we could have used Lockett and Blankenship also. This year Oklahoma's best wrestlers are bunched in a few weight classes. Jersey Robb has not seemed to improve at all since his sophomore year but maybe we will jump a level soon ( Shumate beat Haas last week just as bad as he beat soon to be senior in high school Jersey Robb). But overall most of our recruits senior years are very disappointing because of injury or not so good performances. It gets to be very disappointing and I sure would like some good surprises with the Cowboys. Also someone said Heeg will transfer to Stillwater High and so he could end up being a Cowboy.

Robb is still a senior to be and doesn’t wrestle full time like most of these guys at this tournament. Still a high ceiling high end national level prospect.

Love that we are giving up on guys when they're juniors in high school now.
Jersey Robb is very strong but he is short for 195. Possibly, if he were to wrestle full time he could make big strides as he is also agile and an athlete but Shumate who I mentioned was a senior is not in the top ten in Flo rankings at 195 but he is an Ohio State recruit. Robb also got pinned in the match before and was leading 5-0 until then. Disappointing showing by him. And yes by the time they are juniors in High School elite wrestlers usually perform better. As to giving up, I have to plead guilty but then I remember Johnny Thompson and watching him in High School and thinking we were wrong to recruit him. I do not believe this is the only time I have been very wrong and possibly I will be very wrong about Robb.

Jersey Robb is super bulked up and in college could be a 184super easy

Last edited:
Jersey Robb is very strong but he is short for 195. Possibly, if he were to wrestle full time he could make big strides as he is also agile and an athlete but Shumate who I mentioned was a senior is not in the top ten in Flo rankings at 195 but he is an Ohio State recruit. Robb also got pinned in the match before and was leading 5-0 until then. Disappointing showing by him. And yes by the time they are juniors in High School elite wrestlers usually perform better. As to giving up, I have to plead guilty but then I remember Johnny Thompson and watching him in High School and thinking we were wrong to recruit him. I do not believe this is the only time I have been very wrong and possibly I will be very wrong about Robb.

Important to remember that most of the rankers... especially Flo... think that wrestlers will be heavier than they usually get. Jordan Williams is a 149. Jersey Robb is a 174 or 184. Zach Blakenship is a 125.

When they were high school juniors... Daton Fix, Yanni D. and Spencer Lee were all the same size.

Just never know where some of these guys will end up too. Some get on campus and grow a ton. Just depends.

Jersey Robb is very strong but he is short for 195. Possibly, if he were to wrestle full time he could make big strides as he is also agile and an athlete but Shumate who I mentioned was a senior is not in the top ten in Flo rankings at 195 but he is an Ohio State recruit. Robb also got pinned in the match before and was leading 5-0 until then. Disappointing showing by him. And yes by the time they are juniors in High School elite wrestlers usually perform better. As to giving up, I have to plead guilty but then I remember Johnny Thompson and watching him in High School and thinking we were wrong to recruit him. I do not believe this is the only time I have been very wrong and possibly I will be very wrong about

Willie had Shumate in the top 10 at 195 before he graduated. He's also a junior Fargo finalist at freestyle so Robb losing to him is to be expected in my opinion.

Reactions: osu2082
Nice win this morning by Cael Hughes beating Kannon Webster of Illinois 5 to 3. Webster is rated 5th at 132 and Hughes 8th. Also I have been surprised in a good way by Cutter Sheets who has won all of his greco and freestyle matches this week. I thing you can say about Jordan Williams besides he is very good is that he wrestles all of the time. Last week he was at 20 and under nationals and this week at Junior Duals. He won by tech fall this morning and so did Jersey Robb.

Nice win this morning by Cael Hughes beating Kannon Webster of Illinois 5 to 3. Webster is rated 5th at 132 and Hughes 8th. Also I have been surprised in a good way by Cutter Sheets who has won all of his greco and freestyle matches this week. I thing you can say about Jordan Williams besides he is very good is that he wrestles all of the time. Last week he was at 20 and under nationals and this week at Junior Duals. He won by tech fall this morning and so did Jersey Robb.
We are smoking Illinois this round but got smoked by Iowa the round before. Iowa really brought all of their wrestlers here to win. Williams lost 9 to 8 to Riggins rated 4th at 160. Roller lost to 10 th rated Jesuroga at 145 10 to 1. Jersey Robb got beat 10 to 0 against Kolby Franklin rated 5th at 220. Voinovich lost to Garvin rated 4th at 152 10 to 0. Young Jesuroga rated 3rd at 126 beat Sam Smith 11 to 0. On the plus side Hughes beat Frost unranked 11 to 0 and McComas beat Freeman unranked 11 to 0. It would surprise me if Iowa did not win the duals

Reactions: DPJ
We are smoking Illinois this round but got smoked by Iowa the round before. Iowa really brought all of their wrestlers here to win. Williams lost 9 to 8 to Riggins rated 4th at 160. Roller lost to 10 th rated Jesuroga at 145 10 to 1. Jersey Robb got beat 10 to 0 against Kolby Franklin rated 5th at 220. Voinovich lost to Garvin rated 4th at 152 10 to 0. Young Jesuroga rated 3rd at 126 beat Sam Smith 11 to 0. On the plus side Hughes beat Frost unranked 11 to 0 and McComas beat Freeman unranked 11 to 0. It would surprise me if Iowa did not win the duals
By the way I blame Jordan Olivers loss at Final X on the Oklahoma State Coaching staff. Also as Dugan said all of these high school Oklahoma kids that didn't jump levels this year it is the Oklahoma State wrestling coaches fault.

Reactions: Dugan2035 and DPJ
Wow. These results are shocking? How can our bigtime recruit guys be getting destroyed by the Iowa kids?
Yikes. Huge separation between the Oklahoma and Iowa kids. That's concerning. Not just that they lost but the fact that they got smoked. Also, I thought Jordan Williams was an elite recruit, he seems to get beat a lot by other high school wrestlers?

Jersey Robb is a 184 in college and wrestles up as he needs to keep weight on for football.

Last edited:
Reactions: osudog
Iowa defeated Ohio for first place and it was not close. Iowa is the best coached team in the tournament by far. Going in to the last match or two they were ahead of Ohio 43-10 and Jesaruga dec
Marcus Blaze 4-0 at 126. Oklahoma took third dec. Wisconsin 42-23. I have not changed my mind about Robb. Yes he had some tech falls but he was pinned and was teched two other times. Yes, he has another year to go but even if he goes 184 in college which is doubtful he will have trouble making our lineup. IMO right now he is winnng with strength and quickness against lesser opponents but is overwhelmed by good strong 195 pounders. Not saying I will not change my mind in the future but he is going to have to improve his wrestling skills by leaps and bounds to do it. There is a reason why he is ranked 18th at 195 by Flo. For those that watched the matches on Flo he showed no offense at all against two of the three opponents that beat him and all were better skilled and stronger than him. I agree about Jordan Williams and it was apparent he was wrestling up a weight. Cael Hughes victory over Kannon Webster just sealed the deal on a great tournament for him. I was also impressed with Christopher Kiser at 106. He won most of his matches and lost to Ayala 6-4 in a close match. AJ Heeg looked very good but apparently was injured and did not wrestle the last 3 or possibly 4 matches for us. Adan Thomas at 100 pounds also had a very good tournament and he reminded me of Cael when he was younger.

Wow. These results are shocking? How can our bigtime recruit guys be getting destroyed by the Iowa kids?

Yikes. Huge separation between the Oklahoma and Iowa kids. That's concerning. Not just that they lost but the fact that they got smoked. Also, I thought Jordan Williams was an elite recruit, he seems to get beat a lot by other high school wrestlers?
One thing you can never say about Jordan is that he runs from competition and wrestles high quality guys that are larger than him. I watched the Williams- Riggins match and Riggins was so much larger than Jordan plus Jordan tried twice to roll Riggins from the side with some type of head pinch and lost at least 6 points. He came back strong and almost won the match with a takedown and 2 guts. But you are right he has not had a good senior year but hopefully develops into a National Champ (lifting weights, better strategy, wrestles the right weight and develops and uses his quickness better).

Reactions: OAMC99 and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT