ADVERTISEMENT

John smith show 2-6-23

turfpoke

All-American
Dec 10, 2003
Live from Fuzzy’s taco shop.

Rex says they are having technical difficulties. It sounds like there is no reason to doubt that.

Josh says Mizzou is probably 3 or 4 in the country. First time they’ve had their full lineup healthy.

Plott should never lose to Peyton Mocco even on a bad day.

It isn’t that hard to get yourself ready and go wrestle hard. Be a competitor and embrace the moment.

Over 5000 fans at GIA vs Missouri. Audio is really bad a times, I may not be able to handle much of this.

141- Carter had a big lead Michigan. That guy couldn’t ride Carter. He just didn’t want to get out.

Mizzou gives up a cheap TD at the end. Giving up things but winning against quality opponents.

Dominated on his feet. Making common sense adjustments.

149- Victor, maybe too much trying and not doing against Mizzou.

Show went off the air.

Carter’s match against Hart was his most complete match against a top ranked opponent as a Cowboy. That includes Minnesota.

I caught some of it. John said Mastro's absence is health related and Witcraft will probably go 125 this year. Said Reece should improve as he adjusts to the weight. Also said he likely won't have the necessary match count (8) to earn an automatic qualifier for Big12s, so he'll have to steal a spot.

Reactions: turfpoke
How does one steal a spot for big12’s? I thought every team could bring 10 starters?

He’ll have 6 matches at 125. Is there a last chance open he could get a couple more in at?

By steal I mean get an automatic qualifier spot when he didn't earn a pre-allocated spot. For example, if the conference earns 5 spots at 125 and Reece finishes top 5 at Big12s, he'd basically "steal" one and go to Nationals.

Seton Hall Pirate is an expert on the qualifying process, but I haven't seen him post in a while. Technically I think Reece could earn a pre-allocated spot, but it's very unlikely. And we'd have to get creative. I think he needs at least 2 of the following...top 30 in the coaches poll, top 30 RPI, and a .700 win %. The RPI is out because you need 15 matches. But if he won his next 3 matches, skipped the Iowa dual and instead won 3 matches at the Last Chance Open (both on 2/19 in Iowa), he'd finish with a 6-2 record. That would give him the win % and the wins over OU and SDSU would likely get him top 30 in the coaches poll. So it's possible, but there's no way John doesn't wrestle him against Iowa.

The problem is he has to beat the Stanford, OU and SD state wrestlers and it won't help if he knocks one of the later two out of earning a Q spot for the conference, we need a net gain. Possible to knock the Stanford wrestler out thus stealing a spot from the Pac but not likely. The Stanford wrestler as an ok record (70%+ now) and a couple quality wins. John's not going to sit Witcraft against Iowa, he needs to wrestle Lee to understand what it feels like. Thus best he can prob do is 5-3. Might make more sense to just get ready to steal a spot.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Witcraft will get pinned by Lee. I love Witcraft's willingness to go for it, but man he gets caught a lot. It's almost a certainty Lee will catch him and pin him. Do we have a squadman who can go in and stall and hopefully not get pinned? We might be better off shipping Witcraft off to the tournament instead of going against Iowa.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
The problem is he has to beat the Stanford, OU and SD state wrestlers and it won't help if he knocks one of the later two out of earning a Q spot for the conference, we need a net gain. Possible to knock the Stanford wrestler out thus stealing a spot from the Pac but not likely. The Stanford wrestler as an ok record (70%+ now) and a couple quality wins. John's not going to sit Witcraft against Iowa, he needs to wrestle Lee to understand what it feels like. Thus best he can prob do is 5-3. Might make more sense to just get ready to steal a spot.
It won't happen because of the Iowa match, but any wins against OU, SDSU or Stanford doesn't necessarily knock them out.

A lot can change, but right now it looks like Prata should get one even if he loses to Reece (provided he wins his other 2 matches). He'll have the win % and likely the coaches' ranking. Jordan might not get one regardless. His RPI is good, but he might drop out of the updated coaches' ranking when it comes out soon (took some losses recently), and his win % isn't good. Also, Provo's win % is actually under 70% right now because you only count D1 matches. WrestleStat has all this stuff on their RPI page.

Witcraft will get pinned by Lee. I love Witcraft's willingness to go for it, but man he gets caught a lot. It's almost a certainty Lee will catch him and pin him. Do we have a squadman who can go in and stall and hopefully not get pinned? We might be better off shipping Witcraft off to the tournament instead of going against Iowa.
I’m anxious to see if Reece adapts his style against Lee. He’s got enough experience to know he can’t pull that stuff on him. He seems to have matured quite a bit.

Conversely, the Penn State kid came out swinging against Lee and almost cradled him. Fun, but not advisable.

I’m anxious to see if Reece adapts his style against Lee. He’s got enough experience to know he can’t pull that stuff on him. He seems to have matured quite a bit.

Conversely, the Penn State kid came out swinging against Lee and almost cradled him. Fun, but not advisable.
Wrestling aggressively against Lee doesn't seem to work but being defensive also doesn"t seem to work because once he is on top he is able to turn almost everyone over and over again. Kudos to Piccinini, one of the greatest wins I have seen for the Cowboys. The goal for Reece should likely be to survive the match so you can wrestle again against somebody you can possibly win ( a human). His only chance I believe is to throw Lee (not likely).

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
Witcraft always has a puncher’s chance but he fits right into Lee’s wheelhouse. I haven’t seen him this year but just not sure he has the defensive chops to avoid a fall of either sort.

Lee is incredible and honestly he can beat any style of guy out there. You will have to throw something at him he would never expect from you if you want a chance to win. Last drop gator roll headlock type shit that never really works but he would never expect you to use . Dude is just a stud

I think it depends on the wrestler. In folkstyle, Daton could probably lay back in the 1st period and then open up in the 2nd. But that approach wouldn't work for most, including Reece. I just don't see him getting out of the 1st if he tried that. I think the Purdue guy had it right - look for a throw immediately. I'd tell Reece to let it fly.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
I think it depends on the wrestler. In folkstyle, Daton could probably lay back in the 1st period and then open up in the 2nd. But that approach wouldn't work for most, including Reece. I just don't see him getting out of the 1st if he tried that. I think the Purdue guy had it right - look for a throw immediately. I'd tell Reece to let it fly.
No downside there. Lee can pin everyone at 125. He may not but he can.

Reactions: JAY45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT