ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith show 1/30

If it is the cut, it would be interesting to see Mastro up a weight. Hopefully he sticks it out.

In Dean Heil's RFr year, he lost both ranking matches at 133 - Brian Crutchmer won by decision and GWH pinned him. Heil said the weight cut was really tough. John made the decision to have him go 141 and Heil ended up taking 4th at Nationals.

Reactions: JAY45
If it is the cut, it would be interesting to see Mastro up a weight. Hopefully he sticks it out.

In Dean Heil's RFr year, he lost both ranking matches at 133 - Brian Crutchmer won by decision and GWH pinned him. Heil said the weight cut was really tough. John made the decision to have him go 141 and Heil ended up taking 4th at Nationals.

it ain't the cut guys...

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Culture appears to have been an issue for a while…

Need to somehow weed out the ones that don’t live and breath wrestling like PSU

Reactions: vhsalum
Please elaborate because no one will.
1. Drinking/partying. If john wanted to shut it down, he could. The wrestlers respect him enough that if he demanded it, it wouldn’t affect recruiting much, if at all.

2. The wrestlers love being a wrestler. They love training. It’s the other stuff they don’t.
If it ain’t the cut then what is it? Lack of focus/mental toughness?
Off the mat issues specifically for mastro.

1. Drinking/partying. If john wanted to shut it down, he could. The wrestlers respect him enough that if he demanded it, it wouldn’t affect recruiting much, if at all.

2. The wrestlers love being a wrestler. They love training. It’s the other stuff they don’t.

Off the mat issues specifically for mastro.
#2- what is the other stuff they have to do? School?

That is NOT an excuse, it is the same for everyone, very few actually like schoolwork other than their specialty maybe. Just something that has to be done, Just take it like practice set aside a few hours a day 6 Days a Week, So it does not get pile up and you have to do too much that is counter productive. If it is the same for everyone iy is fair, people can not Legitimately complain

It’s crazy to think how OSU, just a few short years ago, had a plan to be Title Contenders built around 5 Blue Chip Wrestlers, 2 of whom would be #1 in their Class. None of the 5 are or will contribute. This seems to be the central part of their current problems. It’s mostly water under the bridge at this point and they seem to be working hard to compensate. That said, it has set things back significantly.

It’s crazy to think how OSU, just a few short years ago, had a plan to be Title Contenders built around 5 Blue Chip Wrestlers, 2 of whom would be #1 in their Class. None of the 5 are or will contribute. This seems to be the central part of their current problems. It’s mostly water under the bridge at this point and they seem to be working hard to compensate. That said, it has set things back significantly.
The Ferraris & who else?

OkieSt had a #1 recruiting class in 2020, #6 in 2021 (although it would have been higher since Carter Young came in late)

Ferrari
Plott
Mastro
Burks
Surber
Doucet

Carter Young
Voinovich
Haas
Travis Mastrogiovanni

Hey, lets be mindful that this is a college kid that may be fighting an illness instead of attitude. These guys are still kids who train harder than anyone can imagine. I hope when he comes back he is better than ever.
Thank you. Since we know exactly zero about what’s going on I’d rather be supportive than condemn the kid.

Best I can tell, Cowboy fans have been supportive of Mastro in this thread. Maybe a couple of lighthearted zoo jokes thrown in, but still supportive. The off the mat speculation stuff did not come from a Cowboy fan.

Reactions: JAY45 and DPJ
Best I can tell, Cowboy fans have been supportive of Mastro in this thread. Maybe a couple of lighthearted zoo jokes thrown in, but still supportive. The off the mat speculation stuff did not come from a Cowboy fan.
His zoo is awesome,

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokewood
Just so I’m understanding things clearly from what’s being said about Mastro’s absence. It isn’t a health issue or a weight cut issue. It’s a partying issue? That would seem to fall in line with a weight cut issue. I’m just as curious as anyone to know but I don’t think it’s in the best interest of the program or the kid to assume.

Reactions: turfpoke
That's what everyone says. One of the reasons I hope he stays.
Ive been to nearly every zoo in middle America. For a private zoo it’s as good as it gets for taking care of the animals, large cages, clean, & best of all no flies. The folks around the zoo said they are great kids. I root for the kid because he loves animals, don’t think he’s doing it for the money,

Ive been to nearly every zoo in middle America. For a private zoo it’s as good as it gets for taking care of the animals, large cages, clean, & best of all no flies. The folks around the zoo said they are great kids. I root for the kid because he loves animals, don’t think he’s doing it for the money,
He is a great kid and definitely an animal lover (as am I). Will also be rooting for him no matter what path he chooses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT