ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith-NBC olympics broadcast team

gyppoke

Starter
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2002
Did you see where John is joining the NBC Olympic broadcast team for this weekends Olympic wrestling trials and the Rio games in August?

I concur. So much so that I mailed a letter to NBC today asking them to hire coach Smith as a full time commentator with a five year contract. I love him THAT much lol ...

All kidding aside, his candor is refreshing for a color analyst and since he is deep within the sport, he has a great background on the wrestlers and the process.

I thought he was excellent and glad to see those of you from other parts of the country concur.

John commented on the technical aspects of wrestling and turned the broadcast into a clinic.

Much more enjoyable to me than the human interest driven cheerleading ESPN supplies for collegiate broadcasts.

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
He was holding the mic as naturally as a baby holds it's bottle! Even my wife thoroughly enjoyed listening to him.

He was holding the mic as naturally as a baby holds it's bottle! Even my wife thoroughly enjoyed listening to him.
How much has John done this in the past? I must've missed it, because no one steps in and just dominates like he did without some kind of experience. Never knew if I was loving it because it was Coach Smith or just because he was great.

I think my wife and I were impressed with his knowledge (go figure) but even more impressed with his delivery that was easy to follow and understand. His insight, pointing out that the refs were quick on the whistle without letting the wrestling play out, was an interesting comment.

I think my wife and I were impressed with his knowledge (go figure) but even more impressed with his delivery that was easy to follow and understand. His insight, pointing out that the refs were quick on the whistle without letting the wrestling play out, was an interesting comment.
I thought it was interesting in one of the Molinaro/Pico matches that had the quick whistle TD for Molinaro, Smith chided Pico for not being ready. Essentially said that at that level, you needed to be focused at all times for any eventuality. Most fans thought the TD was cheap (me too), but not from a coach/Olympian.

I stumbled onto the NBCSN broadcast by accident. He did do a great job. I like wrestling but I'm not real knowledgeable. With Coach on the mic, I could follow what was happening. He seemed to know all of the wrestlers and their strengths and weaknesses on the mat. I may just understand what is going on now!

I thought it was interesting in one of the Molinaro/Pico matches that had the quick whistle TD for Molinaro, Smith chided Pico for not being ready. Essentially said that at that level, you needed to be focused at all times for any eventuality. Most fans thought the TD was cheap (me too), but not from a coach/Olympian.

My initial reaction was disappointment john didn't call molinaro out for his
el cheapo takedown but quite the opposite in his admonishment of pico.

After Johns protect yourself at all times explanation I thought as a 6x world champ john has faced every dirty trick in the book when wrestling in the four corners of the earth and no matter what I thought about molinaro, pico at 19 learned one the hard way.

That being said pico is unbelievably impressive borderline amazing.

My initial reaction was disappointment john didn't call molinaro out for his
el cheapo takedown but quite the opposite in his admonishment of pico.

After Johns protect yourself at all times explanation I thought as a 6x world champ john has faced every dirty trick in the book when wrestling in the four corners of the earth and no matter what I thought about molinaro, pico at 19 learned one the hard way.

That being said pico is unbelievably impressive borderline amazing.
Agree about Pico being amazing. That TD likely cost Pico an Olympic spot, so that lesson was indeed expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT