ADVERTISEMENT

Joe over Chandler at 165

I understand it but don't like it.
I agree. Chandler would score bonus points at NCAA but think be hard to finish top 5. Joe is capable of 2nd or 3rd but will he be consistent? Not a guarantee for more points but likely higher finish.

However, what a great way to finish your career at OSU with a pin against Iowa in front of a sold out crowd! That was one of the great GIA matches and those in attendance will not forget the pin or the celabration & bows to the crowd after, well done Chandler!!

Just a shame Joe couldn’t stay at 57. Know it wasn’t a possibility after the summer, but talk about a lot of points.

Hate it for Chandler but it's the way wrestling is done. Joe earned the spot on the mat.

Chadler has been a great representative of OSU and a team leader in his time here. He will go down as a 2x AA and Big 12 champ. What a way to go out with a pin in one of the biggest duals of the year in GIA.

The thing that bugs me is you reward a guy who doesn’t always do the right things. If he’d cut down and was ready for 65 early in the season, I’d feel different. In a year where we probably are vying for second, how do you sit the sr? Dang I’m bummed.

The thing that bugs me is you reward a guy who doesn’t always do the right things. If he’d cut down and was ready for 65 early in the season, I’d feel different. In a year where we probably are vying for second, how do you sit the sr? Dang I’m bummed.

To be fair, Joe had planned on being down to and wrestling at 165 much earlier in the year. The Weigel injury shook that plan up. Wrestling is a sport that you always win your spot on the mat. Timing and circumstance can play a role but it's hard not to reward the better wreslter who wins the spot on the mat.

I don’t think Joe should have been the 165. Rodgers did everything right And is a bonus guy. I worry if joe can make multiple weigh ins

To be fair, Joe would have been at 165a lot sooner if not for injuries in the lineup.

To be fair, Joe had planned on being down to and wrestling at 165 much earlier in the year. The Weigel injury shook that plan up. Wrestling is a sport that you always win your spot on the mat. Timing and circumstance can play a role but it's hard not to reward the better wreslter who wins the spot on the mat.

Yes but don’t blow up to 220 in the off season

Yes but don’t blow up to 220 in the off season

Sure that wasn't ideal but the plan all along and all this summer was for him to be at 165. The timing and how everything went down wasn't ideal but this isn't a major surprise.

What does this mean for weight management in the future? Are our guys just blowing up to whatever then cutting down as convenient, or is it just a Joe Smith thing? Cause I’ll bet Chandler might’ve preferred to eat and work at 174 after his performance this summer.

What does this mean for weight management in the future? Are our guys just blowing up to whatever then cutting down as convenient, or is it just a Joe Smith thing? Cause I’ll bet Chandler might’ve preferred to eat and work at 174 after his performance this summer.

I’m guessing John Smith has a pretty decent handle on the situation.

Fair enough, and I hope it works out, but when was the last time you saw someone cut through through 4 weight classes and not make weight for a single match before the postseason?

Fair enough, and I hope it works out, but when was the last time you saw someone cut through through 4 weight classes and not make weight for a single match before the postseason?

We can all speculate about what Joe weighed in the off-season. I have no clue. At the same time, I don’t think it is fair to act like Joe is just now at 165 because he can only make it now. Obvisouly, the plan was for him to be at 165 a while ago but everyone had to bump up to fill the hole injuries created.

I don’t like the idea of a kid wrestling for the first time at a weight in the postseason. What do you do though? Do you not let Joe wrestle for the spot because he spent the last couple months at 174 because the coaches wanted him there? That doesn’t seem fair either.

Chandler is honestly one of my favorite OSU wrestlers of all time. I’m gutted for him. Honestly I would have preferred the lineup just stay the same and Greer have to take his lumps this year. But I’m a nobody and John Smith knows a thing or two more than I do.

Last edited:
Agreed it’s a challenging situation, but it seems like if this was any other wrestler, he wouldn’t get the same opportunities for postseason flexibility on selecting his class. You think they asked G if he might like to go 141 and bump Brock?

That said - I hope Joe goes out and wins 165.

I'm pretty confident the idea of Chandler bumping up this summer was discussed and even experimented with. The wreslter has a a say in these things also.

It was pretty clear this summer Joe would go 165 and Chandler would need to consider bumping up. 184 was the only clear weight for him if he decided to bump up and that's a big bump.

Couldn’t say on the summer plan, and clearly now, the better wrestler won. Just amazes me that if the plan in summer was to have him at 165, that this would be the execution. And yes, I understand that Preston’s status created some uncertainty, but man, I hope he holds that weight for three days and is useful on the mat.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I would guess if there is any doubt of his ability to make weight effectively John wouldn’t send him out there.

Reactions: osu2082
Agreed it’s a challenging situation, but it seems like if this was any other wrestler, he wouldn’t get the same opportunities for postseason flexibility on selecting his class. You think they asked G if he might like to go 141 and bump Brock?

That said - I hope Joe goes out and wins 165.
I think if someone beat Gfeller at 49, he then would have the option if he went to Coach Smith. to cut to 41 if he wanted to and take Kaid Brock's spot if he can make weight and beats Kaid in a wrestle off. Personally I want the best wrestler in our program at that weight to be in the lineup. A year long backup probably does not have that option. Joe Smith is not a clear back up wrestler obviously, he is a proven winner ( 2 time all American). I do feel bad for Chandler.

I think if someone beat Gfeller at 49, he then would have the option if he went to Coach Smith. to cut to 41 if he wanted to and take Kaid Brock's spot if he can make weight and beats Kaid in a wrestle off. Personally I want the best wrestler in our program at that weight to be in the lineup. A year long backup probably does not have that option. Joe Smith is not a clear back up wrestler obviously, he is a proven winner ( 2 time all American). I do feel bad for Chandler.
I guess that’s my point - if this was the plan from summer, then Chandler decided to wrestle off for it - that’s his call. But if, on the other hand, Joe lost at 174 and decided he wanted to cut to 165 to find a spot, it sounds like terrible planning.

Reactions: BigD_cowboy
I guess that’s my point - if this was the plan from summer, then Chandler decided to wrestle off for it - that’s his call. But if, on the other hand, Joe lost at 174 and decided he wanted to cut to 165 to find a spot, it sounds like terrible planning.
No insight, just a fan but I think jo to 165 was always the plan. Just so happened he beat McFadden at scuffle and created buzz. I'm a Big time chandler fan, he has went through major life challenges with his father and is now a husband. He has a bright future in whatever he wants to achieve for his future. Wish him all the best.

Don't know how reliable the info is but someone posted on the mat it was best 2 out of 3. Joe won the first two by scores of 7-4, 3-2.

Thanks, somehow I missed the score when I read the article the first time.

Yeah, I was just pointing it out in case people missed that article, the thread title was the real attention grabber.

Was kind of interesting that so much detail was provided, right? Don't teams usually just say this guy beat that guy in the wrestle-off and won the spot?

Yeah, I was just pointing it out in case people missed that article, the thread title was the real attention grabber.

Was kind of interesting that so much detail was provided, right? Don't teams usually just say this guy beat that guy in the wrestle-off and won the spot?

True but this has been such an anticipated and discussed storyline it's best for all parties that this was a publicized 2 out of 3 wrestle off with people in attendance to simulate a real match.

True but this has been such an anticipated and discussed storyline it's best for all parties that this was a publicized 2 out of 3 wrestle off with people in attendance to simulate a real match.

Yeah, I agree it was done for transparency, I just didn't think the coaches cared about that stuff. Figured they would do what they thought was best (a wrestle-off) and then just announce the results.

Did this come about because Joe was denied a medical redshirt?

I don't think medical redshirts are granted or denied this time of year. I could be wrong though. I can't imagine Joe had much of a case for one to begin with.

There’s always been the real probability that we were going to have three All-Americans jammed into two slots. Most people didn’t think Joe could make 157, and IIRC Jacobe struggled a bit at 184. So this was the end result of what most speculated about all summer and offseason.

While I almost always defer to the guy who won it on the mat fair and square, there is something to the fact that some guys just wrestle better against their teammates because they know their tendencies better. I wonder if this might be the case. I also am curious about Joe’s stamina, and if Chandler might not do better just because of Joe’s rare pulling to 165 so far (this time not withstanding). Chandler might be more ready to weigh in over multiple days than Joe who’s only done it once at a time.

Reactions: Rdcldad and osu2082
I don't think medical redshirts are granted or denied this time of year. I could be wrong though. I can't imagine Joe had much of a case for one to begin with.
Theyre not, but I think even now you can get a sense of whether your situation might be looked on more favorably whenever they do look at it.

Yeah, I agree it was done for transparency, I just didn't think the coaches cared about that stuff. Figured they would do what they thought was best (a wrestle-off) and then just announce the results.
If you have gone on different forums you would see that this 165 position had to be done right or the Program's reputation and Coach Smith's reputation could get hurt with his son being involved. Even on this forum people were upset with Chandler not being in the lineup. The view of the wrestling community is very important and any coach who doesn't care about that view is making a big mistake. With this being a 2 out of 3 match wrestle off with the scores given in articles and that this weight change was the plan earlier but was delayed because of injuries (Weigel) the wrestling community is okay with how it has turned out. Well played by our wrestling coaches but someone was going to get left out that was starting.

There’s always been the real probability that we were going to have three All-Americans jammed into two slots. Most people didn’t think Joe could make 157, and IIRC Jacobe struggled a bit at 184. So this was the end result of what most speculated about all summer and offseason.

While I almost always defer to the guy who won it on the mat fair and square, there is something to the fact that some guys just wrestle better against their teammates because they know their tendencies better. I wonder if this might be the case. I also am curious about Joe’s stamina, and if Chandler might not do better just because of Joe’s rare pulling to 165 so far (this time not withstanding). Chandler might be more ready to weigh in over multiple days than Joe who’s only done it once at a time.

I would imagine Joe had to make and hold the weight over a several day period to show he could handle the cut to train hard and wreslte. Being such a massive decision I would bet all aspects were considered.

If Joe can maintain the cut I don't see anyway he isn't your better option in terms of potential at nationals and that's not to take away anything from Rogers who is a very talented wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT