ADVERTISEMENT

Jo-Jo Smollett's Op-ed.......

Yes, I once accused a left handed Polish boiler maker of assault and battery.
The cops said the random details werent plausible.
But did the left handed Polish boiler maker wear a MAGA hat, put a noose around your neck, and tell you it was MAGA country? I. Didn't. Think. So.

Reactions: iasooner1
Agreeing to pay a $10,000 fine and complete community service is complete exoneration? Interesting.
Prosecutors cannot exonerate anyone. Either there is sufficient evidence to try someone, plea bargain with someone or refuse to try someone. If tried, the jury or judge, finds them guilty or not guilty. Exoneration is not pronounced...except by lawmen and politically driven biased Mueller Gang scumbags.

Except that in one case the Grand jury did recommend charges and in the other they didn't, but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.
Are you saying that an attorney making the decision not to go forward with charges isn't the same as an exoneration?

Prosecutors cannot exonerate anyone. Either there is sufficient evidence to try someone, plea bargain with someone or refuse to try someone. If tried, the jury or judge, finds them guilty or not guilty. Exoneration is not pronounced...except by lawmen and politically driven biased Mueller Gang scumbags.
Interesting.

Are you saying that an attorney making the decision not to go forward with charges isn't the same as an exoneration?

I'm saying there is a difference in an attorney not going forward when the grand jury precedings recommended charges vs. when the grand jury did not recommend charges.

I'm saying there is a difference in an attorney not going forward when the grand jury precedings recommended charges vs. when the grand jury did not recommend charges.
You can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich unless of course that ham sandwich is unindictable according the OLC.

A grand jury only true bills or no bills.

I think the Michigan State School of Law, Univ. of Michigan School of Law and the Univ. of California Irvine don't think this is an exoneration. Appears there has to be a conviction of a crime first. It both Smollett and Trump, there never was a conviction of any crime. Mueller can't state that he didn't exonerate Trump since he didn't try Trump.

In general, an exoneration occurs when a person who has been convicted of a crime is officially cleared based on new evidence of innocence.

A more precise definition follows.

Exoneration—A person has been exonerated if he or she was convicted of a crime and, following a post-conviction re-examination of the evidence in the case, was either: (1) declared to be factually innocent by a government official or agency with the authority to make that declaration; or (2) relieved of all the consequences of the criminal conviction by a government official or body with the authority to take that action. The official action may be: (i) a complete pardon by a governor or other competent authority, whether or not the pardon is designated as based on innocence; (ii) an acquittal of all charges factually related to the crime for which the person was originally convicted; or (iii) a dismissal of all charges related to the crime for which the person was originally convicted, by a court or by a prosecutor with the authority to enter that dismissal. The pardon, acquittal, or dismissal must have been the result, at least in part, of evidence of innocence that either (i) was not presented at the trial at which the person was convicted; or (ii) if the person pled guilty, was not known to the defendant and the defense attorney, and to the court, at the time the plea was entered. The evidence of innocence need not be an explicit basis for the official action that exonerated the person. A person who otherwise qualifies has not been exonerated if there is unexplained physical evidence of that person's guilt.

Exoneree—A person who was convicted of a crime and later officially declared innocent of that crime, or relieved of all legal consequences of the conviction because evidence of innocence that was not presented at trial required reconsideration of the case.

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/glossary.aspx

I think the Michigan State School of Law, Univ. of Michigan School of Law and the Univ. of California Irvine don't think this is an exoneration. Appears there has to be a conviction of a crime first. It both Smollett and Trump, there never was a conviction of any crime. Mueller can't state that he didn't exonerate Trump since he didn't try Trump.

In general, an exoneration occurs when a person who has been convicted of a crime is officially cleared based on new evidence of innocence.

A more precise definition follows.

Exoneration—A person has been exonerated if he or she was convicted of a crime and, following a post-conviction re-examination of the evidence in the case, was either: (1) declared to be factually innocent by a government official or agency with the authority to make that declaration; or (2) relieved of all the consequences of the criminal conviction by a government official or body with the authority to take that action. The official action may be: (i) a complete pardon by a governor or other competent authority, whether or not the pardon is designated as based on innocence; (ii) an acquittal of all charges factually related to the crime for which the person was originally convicted; or (iii) a dismissal of all charges related to the crime for which the person was originally convicted, by a court or by a prosecutor with the authority to enter that dismissal. The pardon, acquittal, or dismissal must have been the result, at least in part, of evidence of innocence that either (i) was not presented at the trial at which the person was convicted; or (ii) if the person pled guilty, was not known to the defendant and the defense attorney, and to the court, at the time the plea was entered. The evidence of innocence need not be an explicit basis for the official action that exonerated the person. A person who otherwise qualifies has not been exonerated if there is unexplained physical evidence of that person's guilt.

Exoneree—A person who was convicted of a crime and later officially declared innocent of that crime, or relieved of all legal consequences of the conviction because evidence of innocence that was not presented at trial required reconsideration of the case.

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/glossary.aspx

I think exoneration can apply given that in both cases the individuals had been convicted in the courts of public opinion.

I think exoneration can apply given that in both cases the individuals had been convicted in the courts of public opinion.
I suppose to liberals and democrats the court of public opinion is tantamount to a court of law. A convict in either is sufficient to pronounce guilt.

I suppose to liberals and democrats the court of public opinion is tantamount to a court of law. A convict in either is sufficient to pronounce guilt.
Odd framing for a smollet thread

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT