ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State and Northern Iowa

I appreciate Harris, and he's trying, but I'll be surprised if he makes NCAA's Harris would have more success at the DIII level.

I appreciate Harris, and he's trying, but I'll be surprised if he makes NCAA's Harris would have more success at the DIII level.
But he is the best that we have and it is likely not close from what I have seen with our other HWT's. Also I was not impressed with any of our wrestlers all day. At best wrestling okay was the highest level.

Ferrari is Impressive I don’t think he has been taken down this year. Should have had 2 more take downs at the end of 1 and 2 period . With fix and plott in the lineup the duel is not close . Sheets seemed limited in mobility with the brace on .

ISU was without Degan and Colbray
OSU without Fix and Plott
141 didn’t matter who OSU wrestled
Sheets is not in top form but doesn’t look like he can handle Carr. He gave it his best effort in the B12 last March
Taco had his chances and is still getting in shape himself

ISU was without Degan and Colbray
OSU without Fix and Plott
141 didn’t matter who OSU wrestled
Sheets is not in top form but doesn’t look like he can handle Carr. He gave it his best effort in the B12 last March
Taco had his chances and is still getting in shape himself
We are still favored in both of those matches .

Parker looks razor sharp and just took out Demas; whom Brock struggles with.

Best on Best, OSU still wins handily; it appears the Clones have a clear advantage at 141, 157, & 285...Cowboys the rest.

Reactions: Dugan2035
Extra bout results from Northern Iowa and Iowa State duals.

EXTRA BOUTS
125: Jakason Burks (OKST) over Kyle Gollhofer (UNI) (Dec 5-3)
133: Jack Skudlarczyk (UNI) over Andrew Nieman (OKST) (MD 11-2)
149: Gable Fox (UNI) over Anthony `Bennett` Sherrer (OKST) (MD 10-0)
157: Derek Holschlag (UNI) over Daniel Manibog (OKST) (Dec 7-2)
157: Kaleb Olejniczak (UNI) over Jarod Kadel (OKST) (MD 11-3)
157: Jalin Harper (OKST) over Colin Realbuto (UNI) (Dec 7-3)
174: Anthony Montalvo (OKST) over Noah Glaser (UNI) (Fall 1:53)
174: Gavin Stika (OKST) over Noah Glaser (UNI) (Dec 3-2)
197: Luke Surber (OKST) over Tyrell Gordon (UNI) (Dec 3-1)
285: Konner Doucet (OKST) over John McConkey (UNI) (Dec 3-0)

Iowa State Extra Matches
133: Ramazan Attasauov (ISU) pinned Yoseph Yilma (ICCC), 3:57
165: Isaac Judge (ISU) pinned Reese Hood (ICCC), :37
125: Jakason Burks (OSU) dec. Aden Reeves (ISU), 5-3
133: Ramazan Attasauov (ISU) dec. Andrew Nieman (OSU), 9-3
174: Christian Bahl (OSU) dec. Mac Southard (ISU), 3-2
184: Joel Shapiro (ISU) dec. Gavin Stika (OSU), 3-1
285: Konner Doucet (OSU) dec. Ethan Andersen (ISU), 11-2

Fix , Brock,Plott you are kinda negative Harley.
Fix , Brock,Plott you are kinda negative Harley.
You are right in fact I think you are being kind by using the word kinda, but remember it has been 15 years since we won a National team Championship. We won 2 duals today and I believe we are the best team in the Big 12 but we will not challenge for a National Championship this year. I am looking for improvement and I didn't see the improvement I was hoping for. However I really liked Mastro's strong finish to his match, Ferrari pulled out a tough match, Wittlake won easily and so did Boo. As someone indicated Sheets battled and Carr was not even close to a major. Harris also had to make sure he gave up no worse then a decision and he accomplished that.

Last edited:

EXTRA BOUTS

Iowa State Extra Matches
Thanks for the recap

Reactions: tfpoke and driad
You are right in fact I think you are being kind by using the word kinda, but remember it has been 15 years since we won a National team Championship. We won 2 duals today and I believe we are the best team in the Big 12 but we will not challenge for a National Championship this year. I am looking for improvement and I didn't see the improvement I was hoping for. However I really liked Mastro's strong finish to his match, Ferrari pulled out a tough match, Wittlake won easily and so did Boo. As someone indicated Sheets battled and Carr was not even close to a major. Harris also had to make sure he gave up no worse then a decision and he accomplished that.
I don’t see anyone beating the Hawkeyes this year but we have some young guys that are building a good base for us.Recruiting is looking good also.

EXTRA BOUTS

Iowa State Extra Matches

You can watch all of the UNI 'extra' matches on YouTube under PantherTrain Wrestling. Here's Surber's match...

Reactions: Rdcldad and tfpoke
Knee again?
That’s the rumor

EXTRA BOUTS

Iowa State Extra Matches
Doucet getting a good win . Good to see.

Taking a guess here...I think Ferrari might have been explaining to the Cuban that pinga in English means "Hawkeye fan".

That or maybe he was just defending the underhook.

Last edited:

You are right. We didn't wrestle our best this weekend. No way around it. Yet we still won our two toughest duals of the year on the road down a bunch of starters. Mostly guys are winning but we don't seem to be doing a good job of stretching easy wins into majors. At the same time we are extremely young. Progression isn't a straight line. It will be up and down.

However, if your standard of this year was if we were going to challenge Iowa there is no other scenario for this season than massive disappointment. Outside of something funky with COVID no one looks to be challenging Iowa.

My biggest takeaway from the weekend was ISU has the worst announcing crew I think I've ever heard.
They're bad at one point Kyven said that before Dresser left VT that program was on the fax machine they had the paper on top of the machine.Only thing we could think of was he meant the chopping block.And another situation happen where a wrestler was in rear standing looking for a takedown and Kyven said he has double underhooks.It was really bad for a guy who is high level himself.

My biggest takeaway from the weekend was ISU has the worst announcing crew I think I've ever heard.
The "um, uhhh" dude was in over his head, but our pronoun brothers on TV give them a run for their money.

"He goes for the inside trip but he fights it off and goes back to the collar tie. He'll really need to work hard to stay out of that position because his strength really could exploit his weaknesses."

Reactions: Air_Thurman
You are right. We didn't wrestle our best this weekend. No way around it. Yet we still won our two toughest duals of the year on the road down a bunch of starters. Mostly guys are winning but we don't seem to be doing a good job of stretching easy wins into majors. At the same time we are extremely young. Progression isn't a straight line. It will be up and down.

However, if your standard of this year was if we were going to challenge Iowa there is no other scenario for this season than massive disappointment. Outside of something funky with COVID no one looks to be challenging Iowa.
My looking for improvement in our wrestlers isn't tied to beating Iowa this year, or likely not beating Iowa next year since I believe all their seniors will come back next year. With the free year this year 2022/2023 is where I believe if we are going to win a team title that year and after will be our best chance. My concern is Penn. St. then, 2022/2023 they may have seniors= Berge and RBY, juniors= Brooks, Nevills, Sophomores=Bartlett, Beard, Boone, Howard, Kerkvliet, lee brothers and Starocci. Plus next year they bring in Van Ness number 2 wrestler in the Country, Facundo number 3 in the Country and Steen number 14. Almost all of these guys were rated in the top 20 of their recruiting classes.
So no I am not thinking maybe we could win Nationals this year or even next year. I am thinking I would like us to win another National Championship before I am dead. For that to happen we need to have wrestlers jump levels. An example Wittlake jumped levels between his freshman and redshirt freshman year. But he appears this year to me to be the same wrestler he was at the end last year. He needs to jump another level to be a National Champ versus taking 4th this year which is what he was seeded last year to take at Nationals. One more example I don't know if Daton has improved since high school where he destroyed everyone he wrestled at Junior Worlds. To compete with Penn. St in 2 years our 20 and 21 recruiting classes must improve a bunch along with our sophomores from this year who will be juniors in 2023 Daton, Wittlake, Witcraft and Montalvo. In general I see our wrestlers jump levels after 1 year in the room, then improve a little or maybe not year to year after that. I really look for improvement and don't expect it to be a straight line but look for it over time. I've been saying this for 14 years now.

Last edited:
They have Colbrery and he did not wrestle. Iowa State is getting much better. It will be good to have more than one Big 12 team in the top ten.

Reactions: JAY45
My looking for improvement in our wrestlers isn't tied to beating Iowa this year, or likely not beating Iowa next year since I believe all their seniors will come back next year. With the free year this year 2022/2023 is where I believe if we are going to win a team title that year and after will be our best chance. My concern is Penn. St. then, 2022/2023 they may have seniors= Berge and RBY, juniors= Brooks, Nevills, Sophomores=Bartlett, Beard, Boone, Howard, Kerkvliet, lee brothers and Starocci. Plus next year they bring in Van Ness number 2 wrestler in the Country, Facundo number 3 in the Country and Steen number 14. Almost all of these guys were rated in the top 20 of their recruiting classes.
So no I am not thinking maybe we could win Nationals this year or even next year. I am thinking I would like us to win another National Championship before I am dead. For that to happen we need to have wrestlers jump levels. An example Wittlake jumped levels between his freshman and redshirt freshman year. But he appears this year to me to be the same wrestler he was at the end last year. He needs to jump another level to be a National Champ versus taking 4th this year which is what he was seeded last year to take at Nationals. One more example I don't know if Daton has improved since high school where he destroyed everyone he wrestled at Junior Worlds. To compete with Penn. St in 2 years our 20 and 21 recruiting classes must improve a bunch along with our sophomores from this year who will be juniors in 2023 Daton, Wittlake, Witcraft and Montalvo. In general I see our wrestlers jump levels after 1 year in the room, then improve a little or maybe not year to year after that. I really look for improvement and don't expect it to be a straight line but look for it over time. I've been saying this for 14 years now.
You lost all credibility with " I don't know if Daton has improved since high school".

I just don't think they have wrestled enough this year to handwring over who has jumped levels or not yet (especially when you are talking freshman and sophomores) Frankly, if you are worried about Daton then you are going to be worried regardless of what happens on the mat. All the kid has done is win just about everything every time he puts on the OSU singlet.

Wittlake is the perfect example of this. You were one of those fretting that Wittlake was a bust before he even was in the starting lineup. Then he puts forward a year were he was everything you would want out (and more out) of a stud recruit. Now we are worried about him because of what??? I honestly don't remember a match this year where I was worried he might lose (and with his schedule so far that is what you would expect).

AJ, Plott and Mastro have looked every bit as good as we could have hoped.

I'll throw Harley some support.

15 years without a title is a long drought. Harley has high expectations for Cowboy Wrestling. Maybe if more people had similar expectations, then the administration wouldn't have ignored the program for so long - basically what Holder said himself.

I thought we were flat as a team this weekend. Not the end of the world. I will say besides Wittlake, Sheets also jumped levels last year IMO. We need more guys to do the same.

About Wittlake, Harley was spot on. He struggled meeting (high) expectations his first year and a half. Then it started clicking for him. I posted an article on that very topic. Wittlake said it himself. John also said it on his radio show.

About Daton, his defense has improved considerably since his freshman year - Zo said that in an interview recently. The big question with Daton is -- does he have the offense to takedown world caliber opponents. He'll need that to win World/Olympic medals. Anyone notice he hit a high c in the ranking match? Can he do that against elite guys? Anxious to see.

You lost all credibility with " I don't know if Daton has improved since high school".
Daton is a superstar but he was a superstar late in his high school career. There was a year in high school where he might have been the best Junior wrestler in the World any weight class ( maybe it was cadets). Now this is based on memory not research but there was a year where he won the gold and teched everyone. He was great on his feet and a killer on top. If my memory is right maybe my credibility is still there, which you've questioned many times. Yes I would like Daton to improve on his takedowns especially his own shots. Terrible for me to think that.

I'll throw Harley some support.

15 years without a title is a long drought. Harley has high expectations for Cowboy Wrestling. Maybe if more people had similar expectations, then the administration wouldn't have ignored the program for so long - basically what Holder said himself.

I thought we were flat as a team this weekend. Not the end of the world. I will say besides Wittlake, Sheets also jumped levels last year IMO. We need more guys to do the same.

About Wittlake, Harley was spot on. He struggled meeting (high) expectations his first year and a half. Then it started clicking for him. I posted an article on that very topic. Wittlake said it himself. John also said it on his radio show.

About Daton, his defense has improved considerably since his freshman year - Zo said that in an interview recently. The big question with Daton is -- does he have the offense to takedown world caliber opponents. He'll need that to win World/Olympic medals. Anyone notice he hit a high c in the ranking match? Can he do that against elite guys? Anxious to see.

I have no problem not being thrilled with our performance last weekend. Overall, I didn't think we wrestled particularly well and I think it is okay to say that. Worrying about the 2023 NCAA Team title because Wittlake got a decision instead of major seems a tad foolish to me. You have to look at the whole picture a not get wrapped up on one weekend of results when talking development. IMO, the drought hasn't been because of lack of development its been because of lack of high end talent entering the program. That seems to be changing. Will it be enough to finally win another one? No one knows but I think it is a tad earlier to worry about it.

For the life of me I can't begin to understand the concern about Fix.

I think the young studs who should be the bedrock of a title run (Fix, Plott, Wittlake and AJ) have been every bit as good as advertised.

I just don't think they have wrestled enough this year to handwring over who has jumped levels or not yet (especially when you are talking freshman and sophomores) Frankly, if you are worried about Daton then you are going to be worried regardless of what happens on the mat. All the kid has done is win just about everything every time he puts on the OSU singlet.

Wittlake is the perfect example of this. You were one of those fretting that Wittlake was a bust before he even was in the starting lineup. Then he puts forward a year were he was everything you would want out (and more out) of a stud recruit. Now we are worried about him because of what??? I honestly don't remember a match this year where I was worried he might lose (and with his schedule so far that is what you would expect).

AJ, Plott and Mastro have looked every bit as good as we could have hoped.
I agree Wittlake is our most consistent wrestler. For a year and a half no one has upset him. I have not worried an ounce about any of his matches this year. What I want is him to move to the level of Marinelli, Lewis and Griffith. Last year he was just short of their level and I have not seen a small jump that would be needed for him to be at their level. Last year he wrestled good against Marinelli and Griffith but could not get a takedown against either. These little jumps are what we need to see in our wrestlers if we are ever going to win Nationals again. I love our recruiting now and our development in their first year. Also this fretting stuff I don't understand, I'm just expressing my opinion of what I think has to happen if we are to win again in the next 5 years.

Last edited:
I have no problem not being thrilled with our performance last weekend. Overall, I didn't think we wrestled particularly well and I think it is okay to say that. Worrying about the 2023 NCAA Team title because Wittlake got a decision instead of major seems a tad foolish to me. You have to look at the whole picture a not get wrapped up on one weekend of results when talking development. IMO, the drought hasn't been because of lack of development its been because of lack of high end talent entering the program. That seems to be changing. Will it be enough to finally win another one? No one knows but I think it is a tad earlier to worry about it.

For the life of me I can't begin to understand the concern about Fix.

I think the young studs who should be the bedrock of a title run (Fix, Plott, Wittlake and AJ) have been every bit as good as advertised.

That's fair. I agree, one flat weekend means nothing.

But things are also a matter of expectations. We didn't get the talent we needed the past 10+ years because of things like the RTC and a new facility. That's been discussed on here plenty. But maybe if fans demanded more from the administration (& coaching staff) it might have jump started things? Iowa's latest resurgence is because their fans basically got fed up and they started a fundraising campaign. Holder said our wrestling program has been successful in spite of the administration.

Also agree that Ferrari, Plott and the rest of the 2020-22 classes look excellent. So things are looking much better lately.

Daton is another expectations thing. We know just how good
he is - he made the Senior World team as a freshman. But to win World/Olympic medals, I just think he needs more offensive attacks. IMO he's trying to rely on counters, much like J'den Cox. Very interested to see what he's developed over the last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT