ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat Updated Rankings, Line-Up Speculation...

JAY45

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
Intermat Updated their Rankings Today, potentialy giving some more clues what we can expect. This combined with what Coach Smith & @leecothran are telling us...

Intermat Rankings Updated 10/27/22

125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni #9
133: Daton Fix #2
141: Carter Young #12
149: Victor Voinovich #19
157: Wyatt Sheets #15
165: No One Ranked - Candidates: Jalin Harper OR Chance McLane OR Luke Mechler OR Blake Skidgel
174: Dustin Plott #4
184: Travis Wittlake #16
197: Luke Surber #22
285: Konner Doucet #33

Watched Coach Smith’s new interview and I’m trying to wrap my head around why 165 is such a question mark weight. Let sheets wrestle up and have one of Gfeller, Young Mastro, Mechler, Harper etc fight for 157. Or.. put Gfeller at 165 and bump sheets down. Not sure having sheets back at 157 and G trying to make the 149 cut after coming in late the best roster we can roll out. That also puts 2 of our top recruits on the bench.

Reactions: vhsalum
Watched Coach Smith’s new interview and I’m trying to wrap my head around why 165 is such a question mark weight. Let sheets wrestle up and have one of Gfeller, Young Mastro, Mechler, Harper etc fight for 157. Or.. put Gfeller at 165 and bump sheets down. Not sure having sheets back at 157 and G trying to make the 149 cut after coming in late the best roster we can roll out. That also puts 2 of our top recruits on the bench.
Sounds like G will be lucky to make 165

Reactions: colcord
G certified in mid September and weighed between 165.1 - 174. Even if he was 174 at that time, 165 would be an easy pull. 157 would also be very manageable. 149 would take some effort, which is why John mentioned possibly not seeing him until mid December.

165 is stacked. IMO Blake Skidgel would have the best chance of success at the weight. That's if he certified at 165 and can make the cut. He weighed between 184.1 - 197 in early September.

And the reward for earning the 165 spot based on our schedule and those rankings above...you face the top 4 in the country and 9 of the top 16.

Reactions: JAY45
G was never a big 149 in terms of height, body type, length or strength. I had concerns about how that would effect him up at 157 let alone 165.

G is probably a guy who might get some spot duty at 149 or 157 and be a filler in case of injury. I highly doubt you will see him in our starting lineup.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
G was never a big 149 in terms of height, body type, length or strength. I had concerns about how that would effect him up at 157 let alone 165.

G is probably a guy who might get some spot duty at 149 or 157 and be a filler in case of injury. I highly doubt you will see him in our starting lineup.
In the interview Coach Smith said that Gfeller reached out to him after the school year had already started saying he wanted to come back and wrestle for his final year. What I take is it sounds like the coaches were not trying to pressure him to return out of need. That indicates to me that they are confident with Voinovich at 149 and comfortable with their options at 57 and 65. It will be very interesting to see what happens If G manages to make the cut to 149 and wins a ranking match against Voinovich. Or if that’s even the plan for him.

We are 2 weeks out from the first dual and there are probably 4 weights where we have no idea who will be the guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
4 weights? I can only think of 2.
These are just my observations...

149: Voinovich looks to be the guy starting the season, but could be Gfeller by december if he actually is trying to make that cut. We have no idea what the plan is for G, but I think I remember reading on here that last year G had a big advantage over Voinovich in the room. Im sure that gap has closed a lot.

157: Assuming Sheets here via Adam Engel twitter post, but I personally think that should depend on how 165 looks and what shakes out in the room. I think Sheets bumping up makes more sense with Gfeller at 157.

165: Several options, no idea.

184: Wittlake "for now" per Coach Smith or Haas. Not sure what he meant by "for now" and what the later means, but Wittlake has been off the mat since Big 12's so Haas could give him a soild run.

That would be 4 weights that I personally have questions and uncertainty about. Not so much who is going to starting the year, but barring any injuries (god forbid) who will be the guy come January. The guys in question and where they end up are Wittlake, Gefeller and Sheets.

I'm in favor of letting the young kids scrap it out. It's going to be a season with a ton of tough opponents. The young ones stand to benefit the most from the tough competition. If G and Sheets win against a top 5 guy, its a legacy win. If Victor/Mastro/Mechler/Skidgel/McLane get a chance to wrestle a top 5 guy, they'll take it as a learning experience and hopefully grow from it. Only reason to put the older guys out there (Sheets/G/Harper) is if they are clearly the best guys at the weight, will help score more points at NCAAs, and keep OSU's image positive for recruiting. Another #18 team finish or whatever at NCAAs will be a bad look. Still I'd rather the young guys have a shot, they're the future of the team anyways, let's get them going so they know where the bar is.

Going to find out a lot this weekend. It's true that there are questions at 4 weights. I think 184 is champagne problems. Wittlake and Haas are both good options.

149 is most likely Voinovich.

157 it wouldn't shock me at all to see Jordan Williams win that spot. I think he's for sure going to use all of the new redshirt matches available. We will see how that works.

165 is a gap. I don't know who's been bulking to take that spot. I would like to see Mechler get an opportunity if he's big enough and healthy.

Reactions: DPJ
G certified in mid September and weighed between 165.1 - 174. Even if he was 174 at that time, 165 would be an easy pull. 157 would also be very manageable. 149 would take some effort, which is why John mentioned possibly not seeing him until mid December.

165 is stacked. IMO Blake Skidgel would have the best chance of success at the weight. That's if he certified at 165 and can make the cut. He weighed between 184.1 - 197 in early September.

And the reward for earning the 165 spot based on our schedule and those rankings above...you face the top 4 in the country and 9 of the top 16.
Believe he was on the top side of that weight gap in september.

149: Voinovich looks to be the guy starting the season, but could be Gfeller by december if he actually is trying to make that cut. We have no idea what the plan is for G, but I think I remember reading on here that last year G had a big advantage over Voinovich in the room. Im sure that gap has closed a lot.

157: Assuming Sheets here via Adam Engel twitter post, but I personally think that should depend on how 165 looks and what shakes out in the room. I think Sheets bumping up makes more sense with Gfeller at 157.

184: Wittlake "for now" per Coach Smith or Haas. Not sure what he meant by "for now" and what the later means, but Wittlake has been off the mat since Big 12's so Haas could give him a soild run.

That would be 4 weights that I personally have questions and uncertainty about. Not so much who is going to starting the year, but barring any injuries (god forbid) who will be the guy come January. The guys in question and where they end up are Wittlake, Gefeller and Sheets.
Based on what John said I heard nothing to expect G is someone they are expecting at 149, sounds like they know who but of course wrestle off. Certainly sounded like Sheets is the guy any young guns would have to knock off at 157. Yes he said they need someone to step up at 165, that one is uncertain. As deep as 165 is I don't think it matters (unless it had been Sheets) for tournament points but will in duals. Seemed no doubt on 184, its either Wittlake or Haas, if it is Haas then that means he must be better.

Believe he was on the top side of that weight gap in september.
That wouldn't surprise me. And that was mid September too. When he made the decision to return in August, it's likely he was even bigger.

Do you happen to know what Skidgel weighed during certifications?

157 it wouldn't shock me at all to see Jordan Williams win that spot. I think he's for sure going to use all of the new redshirt matches available. We will see how that works.
FYI, Williams, Voinovich, Mastro & Travis all weighed between 157.1 - 165 during certifications. It's likely they are currently too small for 157. I hope Williams doesn't wrestle up as a true freshman. It didn't work out so well for Carter Young. Probably won't happen, but seeing Williams rank at 149 would be kind of interesting.

That wouldn't surprise me. And that was mid September too. When he made the decision to return in August, it's likely he was even bigger.

Do you happen to know what Skidgel weighed during certifications?

FYI, Williams, Voinovich, Mastro & Travis all weighed between 157.1 - 165 during certifications. It's likely they are currently too small for 157. I hope Williams doesn't wrestle up as a true freshman. It didn't work out so well for Carter Young. Probably won't happen, but seeing Williams rank at 149 would be kind of interesting.

Yeah I've advocated for a redshirt, as I think a year in a weight training program will do him wonders. I do hope he competes at 157 this year so that he isn't cutting too much weight and gets a feel for the weight moving forward.

If he competes for the spot and wins it though...

If I'm reading the new redshirt rules correctly, you could get him matches against some very serious competition in the first four duals... @Lehigh, @Bucknell, Wyoming and Minnesota all have very solid guys at 157. See where he is against any of those four, and then let him compete unattached at the Scuffle, and you'll get an idea of what he needs to improve to either be your 157 for this season, or redshirt and be ready to compete for a top 5 spot in Kansas City.

If Wittlake and Daton stick around for their Covid year (Daton will, I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't), then you'll have 4 top 10 guys in the lineup in those two, Plott and Williams. Carter was #11. Voinovich #15. Then you probably add Brayden Thompson in at 165, who is #6 in this year's class. If all 7 of those guys are high level AAs, and the remaining three at 125, 197, and HWT can get to R16 or R12, you're going to be close to winning a title in KC. It's entirely possible. Penn State and Ohio State are going to be very tough... Penn State moreso considering they seem to actually be able to turn their top prospects into national champs. Ohio State struggles with that kinda like we have.

I guess a lot of words to say what I've been trying to say... if we can stay healthy and out of trouble... and get some of these guys to jump levels a bit... goals of the program are right there to take. Just have to execute.

John is very high on VV and you could hear it in that interview. I think it’s highly unlikely it’s anyone but him all year long.

Sheets at times got out horsed at 157 and struggled on bottom. Don’t see bumping up going well for him. This might be fish or cut bait for the other Mastro. If he can’t show up this year then I just don’t know…

Who knows at 165. I’ll be interested in this weekends results.

At 184, the staff is just not sure how TW will fare up two weights. He was a big and strong 165 who had a very difficult cut but jumping 2 weights is a bunch and there is a chance, it’s to big of a jump for him. I have a feeling that will be the case.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
John is very high on VV and you could hear it in that interview. I think it’s highly unlikely it’s anyone but him all year long.

Sheets at times got out horsed at 157 and struggled on bottom. Don’t see bumping up going well for him. This might be fish or cut bait for the other Mastro. If he can’t show up this year then I just don’t know…

Who knows at 165. I’ll be interested in this weekends results.

At 184, the staff is just not sure how TW will fare up two weights. He was a big and strong 165 who had a very difficult cut but jumping 2 weights is a bunch and there is a chance, it’s to big of a jump for him. I have a feeling that will be the case.
Travis was over 200 this summer. He is a strong young man. I think he will have more offense being up two divisions and he certainly is strong enough.

Are the ranking matches this weekend or next weekend? There are a couple of references in this thread to "this weekend", but I think John said "next Saturday" at media day. Anyone know for sure?

Still unsure why ranking matches are not open to the fans. Most like me are dying for some wrestling.
That was also confusing. First John said it would be closed to the public. But then he followed that up with "go through the office" if you would like to go. You might want to call the wrestling office and see if they'll let you in.

We need a FULL blown marketing attack to promote ranking matches along with a post match auto session for kids. John seems a little too old school and does not seem to understand that fans are hungry and want to see the kids compete. We need the new Big 12 commish to teach him a few tricks.

Travis was over 200 this summer. He is a strong young man. I think he will have more offense being up two divisions and he certainly is strong enough.

I worry about his length, frame and leverage bumping up two classes.

That was also confusing. First John said it would be closed to the public. But then he followed that up with "go through the office" if you would like to go. You might want to call the wrestling office and see if they'll let you in.
It seemed like he was talking to the media about their ability to attend.

Reactions: Wrassler17
It seemed like he was talking to the media about their ability to attend.
Ahh, yes, I missed that. I forgot when John speaks to the media, he is literally talking to the media. Compare that to Tom Ryan. When Ryan speaks to the media, he's really talking to their fans and prospective recruits/donors.

Batisda had over four minute riding time in his match. I did not know that freestyle wrestlerd did that. I always thought he was a takedown artist.

The quest for #35...

With Carroll & Thompson on the way, it would be easy to say start them as true freshmen (if Thompson can make 165). You never know about injuries, weight changes, transfers, etc. So throw your best lineup out there.

But 165 & 285 will be tough for first year guys. 165 doesn't clear out at all next year, it will be loaded. In 2025 it looks a little more open (still tough though). 285 loses a couple of top guys next year and then opens up even more in 2025. What if we redshirt them and Daton takes another Olympic redshirt? Don't know if that's something Daton would consider, but the 2025 lineup could then be...

125: Mastro (Sr)
133: Daton (Sr)
141: Young (Sr)
149: Voinovich (RJr)
157: Williams (RSo)
165: Thompson (RFr)
174: Plott (Sr)
184: Haas (RJr) / Robb (RFr) / Heeg (RFr)
197: Surber (Sr)
285: Carroll (RFr)

The quest for #35...

With Carroll & Thompson on the way, it would be easy to say start them as true freshmen (if Thompson can make 165). You never know about injuries, weight changes, transfers, etc. So throw your best lineup out there.

But 165 & 285 will be tough for first year guys. 165 doesn't clear out at all next year, it will be loaded. In 2025 it looks a little more open (still tough though). 285 loses a couple of top guys next year and then opens up even more in 2025. What if we redshirt them and Daton takes another Olympic redshirt? Don't know if that's something Daton would consider, but the 2025 lineup could then be...

125: Mastro (Sr)
133: Daton (Sr)
141: Young (Sr)
149: Voinovich (RJr)
157: Williams (RSo)
165: Thompson (RFr)
174: Plott (Sr)
184: Haas (RJr) / Robb (RFr) / Heeg (RFr)
197: Surber (Sr)
285: Carroll (RFr)
Another way to look at this, using a combination of Flo, Open Mat, & Mat Scouts (this is definitely a change from what we've seen):

125: #9 Overall in High School
133: #1 Overall
141: #11 Overall
149: #7 (Open Mat) & #15 (Flo)
157: #12 Overall
165: #6 Overall
174: #2 Overall
184: #6 Overall
197: #42 Overall
285: #1 Overall

Another way to look at this, using a combination of Flo, Open Mat, & Mat Scouts (this is definitely a change from what we've seen):

125: #9 Overall in High School
133: #1 Overall
141: #11 Overall
149: #7 (Open Mat) & #15 (Flo)
157: #12 Overall
165: #6 Overall
174: #2 Overall
184: #6 Overall
197: #42 Overall
285: #1 Overall
Who had Haas #6 overall, was it Open Mat?
I know he was ranked top 10 on Flo & Rokfin when he committed, but then dropped some after taking a couple of losses.

#6 on here as well...(Check out #7 as well :oops::oops::))

Reactions: Wrassler17
If everthing pans out with our current commitments and some of our young guys in Carter Young, Voinovich, Jordan Williams really make big jumps and develop we will be sitting very nicely and positioning ourselves to compete for a title in about 3 years. I think If we could get a top 133/141 guy in the 2024 class that would be fill any questionalbe holes with soild recruits. I like Beric Jordan as a 125 lb, but have my questions about Cael Hughes and I dont think Brayden Thompson will make 165 in a couple of years. He's pretty thick already. I think Lockett will likely be our 165 guy as a true FR if we get him.

Reactions: biocowboy
Yes, Thompson at 165 is an unknown. If I was certain he could make & hold that weight, I would give serious thought to redshirting Plott this year and having Wittlake go 174. That gets Haas in the lineup, puts Wittlake at likely a more appropriate weight, and extends Plott's overlap with Carroll & Thompson.

We could score less at Nationals this year, but that doesn't matter to me. Finishing 9th, 12th or 15th is all the same to me. It's top 4 or nothing.

Reactions: JAY45 and PoOsKuE
If everthing pans out with our current commitments and some of our young guys in Carter Young, Voinovich, Jordan Williams really make big jumps and develop we will be sitting very nicely and positioning ourselves to compete for a title in about 3 years. I think If we could get a top 133/141 guy in the 2024 class that would be fill any questionalbe holes with soild recruits. I like Beric Jordan as a 125 lb, but have my questions about Cael Hughes and I dont think Brayden Thompson will make 165 in a couple of years. He's pretty thick already. I think Lockett will likely be our 165 guy as a true FR if we get him.
I agree with this but this has been the theme for 10 years.What we forget is other schools also sign studs each year to offset our “3 years from now” theory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT