ADVERTISEMENT

Inner cites.

This would truly cement a legacy right off the bat. The irony would be a rich white guy as president did more to ensure an upward trajectory for those people in the inner cities then the phony, adulation seeking narcissistic rodent in chief. Bet every t-shirt he wears says please hold and love me....I deserve it!

I hope he is successful, not because of the legacy either, but because those people, each and every one, deserve a chance to be successful if they desire so and all the previous leaders have done, is thrown more dependency seeking goodies at them and lied incessantly to keep them firmly resident on the liberal plantation.

It's obscene that there have been almost 4000 murders in Chicago since Obama took office and he has done nothing about that. Rarely, if ever, has he complained about the violence or tried to do anything to solve the problem.

Reactions: Medic007
It's obscene that there have been almost 4000 murders in Chicago since Obama took office and he has done nothing about that. Rarely, if ever, has he complained about the violence or tried to do anything to solve the problem.

Oh come on! He's blamed guns, hasn't he? Just imagine how many more murders there would have been had he not blamed guns.

To me, it all starts with education, primarily early childhood education, K-3. Problems that have festered for decades, probably take decades to fix. Hopefully Trump can start that process. Though I'm more than a bit discouraged by his pick for Sec. of Education, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

To me, it all starts with education, primarily early childhood education, K-3. Problems that have festered for decades, probably take decades to fix. Hopefully Trump can start that process. Though I'm more than a bit discouraged by his pick for Sec. of Education, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

It may take decades to eradicate the problem, but the right programs could make a very quick positive impact. Cleaning up urban blight, rebuilding relationships with the police, bringing manufacturing and tech jobs to places like Detroit...

I predict a big part of Trump's success, if he is indeed successful, will be quick powerful and efficient solutions that were much easier than we have been led to believe they would be.

Of course that may be overly optimistic and his programs may not work any better than anything else. But it will be interesting to see a very different approach.

Reactions: CBradSmith
It may take decades to eradicate the problem, but the right programs could make a very quick positive impact. Cleaning up urban blight, rebuilding relationships with the police, bringing manufacturing and tech jobs to places like Detroit...

I predict a big part of Trump's success, if he is indeed successful, will be quick powerful and efficient solutions that were much easier than we have been led to believe they would be.

Of course that may be overly optimistic and his programs may not work any better than anything else. But it will be interesting to see a very different approach.

I believe Trump is uniquely positioned and skilled to affect powerful positive change on this front.

If equality of opportunity is a virtue you hold, then he needs to grip it and rip it, because the ball is teed up high.

Success here could mean a very positive difference in America in not even a decade.

To me, it all starts with education, primarily early childhood education, K-3. Problems that have festered for decades, probably take decades to fix.
What are the problems from your perspective?

One thing that exists in our two income earner and single parent society today that differs from the past is daycare. Do you think that placing a large portion of child development in the hands of minimum wage daycare workers in an environment that often promotes unsupervised peer learning has had a negative impact on US children? I don't know that answer but often wonder.

My daughter has been home schooled with a public education based curriculum (EPIC) and never went to a daycare since my wife doesn't work fulltime. Not bragging, but her level of emotional and academic maturity at the age of 12 is well beyond that of her friends who are primarily public school kids.

Reactions: ctdub
What are the problems from your perspective?

One thing that exists in our two income earner and single parent society today that differs from the past is daycare. Do you think that placing a large portion of child development in the hands of minimum wage daycare workers in an environment that often promotes unsupervised peer learning has had a negative impact on US children? I don't know that answer but often wonder.

My daughter has been home schooled with a public education based curriculum (EPIC) and never went to a daycare since my wife doesn't work fulltime. Not bragging, but her level of emotional and academic maturity at the age of 12 is well beyond that of her friends who are primarily public school kids.

I think like most things in the private sector, the quality of daycare can be wildly different place to place (P.S. I'm not advocating for state-run daycares) There are incredible facilities out there, and there are horrible ones which do nothing to promote literacy, etc... So, I do think some of them have negative effects, like most things, likely based on the income/involvement of the parent(s).

As far as the problems in K-3. It's so critical that by the time a kid reaches 3rd grade, his/her reading/comprehension skill is appropriate for their age group. If it isn't, they spend the rest of their school life playing catch up. In my years as a teacher (middle school and high school), there are very few kids who read below the level of their peers that like school. They become defensive, act out, put on a veil of not caring, which does turn into legitimate apathy, because it beats the hell out of looking like a dumbass every day for 7+ years of your life.

If you gave the average felon a reading comprehension test, by and large, they would do horrible. And it all stems back to the first, few, critical years of education. Smaller class sizes (for more one-on-one instruction/remediation), higher quality teachers/facilities are so important. And with the added dimension of a decent percentage of impoverished families having a parent or parents, who never prioritize education or are close to illiterate themselves, some of these kids will never have a chance without strong interventions from a school environment, and if they don't have them they fall right back into the cycle from which they come from.

Personally, I don't think you can "fix" the inner cities, because too many of its occupants have zero desire to do the necessary lifting to fix it. (if you want proof, go ask restoration guys who rebuilt after Katrina. They'll tell you how many of the home owners stood around and just watched as outside volunteers came to clear debris and rebuild). But what I do expect him to do is expand access to charter schools (see his new Ed Sec. and job programs for those citizens that truly do want something better for their kids.

Personally, I don't think you can "fix" the inner cities, because too many of its occupants have zero desire to do the necessary lifting to fix it. (if you want proof, go ask restoration guys who rebuilt after Katrina. They'll tell you how many of the home owners stood around and just watched as outside volunteers came to clear debris and rebuild). But what I do expect him to do is expand access to charter schools (see his new Ed Sec. and job programs for those citizens that truly do want something better for their kids.
Those charter schools seem to be doing really well in Detroit. Probably because everyone there is lazy.

This is thinking I can't necessarily agree with. Your hypothesis may be correct, but your evidence is anecdotal at best. No massive, comprehensive attempt at inner city school modernization, along with putting funds in place for keeping quality teachers long term, has ever been attempted.

Bring the educational infrastructure up to speed (that includes a working solution to keep good teachers) and see what grows in time.

Equality of opportunity is absolutely an issue I feel needs to be equitable for all Americans.

Reactions: windriverrange
This is thinking I can't necessarily agree with. Your hypothesis may be correct, but your evidence is anecdotal at best. No massive, comprehensive attempt at inner city school modernization, along with putting funds in place for keeping quality teachers long term, and cutting out the overwhelming, mostly malignant, influence of teachers unions, has ever been attempted.

Bring the educational infrastructure up to speed (that includes a working solution to keep good teachers) and see what grows in time.

Equality of opportunity is absolutely an issue I feel needs to be equitable for all Americans.

Those charter schools seem to be doing really well in Detroit. Probably because everyone there is lazy.

I actually don't know much about Detroit's situation, so I just pulled a NYTimes article describing the issues. It highlights many problems with the way Charter schools were brought to Detroit as well as the removal of several of the controls that would have made Charters more successful (such as the performance measures of the schools themselves). But it also highlighted the "lazy" aspect as well. It referenced a Catholic school that changed its rule and required parents to sign a daily report of the student's reading. 150 kids were pulled by their parents out of that school after this requirement was enacted. I'd also note that most of the Detroit charter schools, which looks like the most haphazard execution ever, still perform better than the Detroit public school system.

I'd also note that most of the Detroit charter schools, which looks like the most haphazard execution ever, still perform better than the Detroit public school system.
"Detroit now has a bigger share of students in charters than any American city except New Orleans, which turned almost all its schools into charters after Hurricane Katrina. But half the charters perform only as well, or worse than, Detroit’s traditional public schools."

Trumps Secretary of Education nominee has her finger prints all over the "most haphazard execution ever"

"DeVos is a former Republican Party chairwoman in Michigan and chair of the pro-school-choice advocacy group American Federation for Children, and she has been a shining light to members of the movement to privatize public education by working to create programs and pass laws that require the use of public funds to pay for private school tuition in the form of vouchers and similar programs. She has also been a force behind the spread of charter schools in Michigan, most of which have recorded student test scores in reading and math below the state average."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT