ADVERTISEMENT

IMHO

I think if you tweak folkstyle to free style rules about guys going out of bounds you would see a lot more action. I enjoy Folk style and free style both

Reactions: Wrassler17
I like that you have to be good on top and bottom in folk style, just think either takedowns and reversals are under valued or escapes are way overvalued.

Reactions: osu2082
I like that you have to be good on top and bottom in folk style, just think either takedowns and reversals are under valued or escapes are way overvalued.
I bet Chandler Rogers sure would have liked to have had an escape in the second period yesterday and a lot of matches Kaid Brock would love to have a quick escape. I like folkstyle because you have got to be good on your feet, good on top and you have to be able to get away from good riders ( tough explosive).

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I bet Chandler Rogers sure would have liked to have had an escape in the second period yesterday and a lot of matches Kaid Brock would love to have a quick escape. I like folkstyle because you have got to be good on your feet, good on top and you have to be able to get away from good riders ( tough explosive).

I agree, but it also promotes good riders/turners not doing anything other than waiting to start a period on top.

I've posted this before, but the folkstyle vs freestyle discussion reminds me of a story John told Trackwrestling a few years back...

John lost in November 1986 to Nebraska's Gil Sanchez, who was very good on top. John was returning from his redshirt year after proving he was one of the best freestylers in the world (he beat the eventual 1986 World Champ Khazar Issaev that summer). After losing to Sanchez, John registered for an Open a week later "to prove it was a fluke and whip him", but only won by a point or two. John said that he learned a valuable lesson then that he has never forgotten - folkstyle wrestling is hard. Mat wrestling - riding a guy and getting out from bottom - is hard. John said he knew he needed to get better on the mat...

Fast forward five months later, John faces Sanchez in the NCAA finals. Result - Sanchez takes top in the 2nd and John escapes immediately, John takes bottom in the 3rd and reverses Sanchez. Final score 17-4, 2:30 riding time for John with multiple sets of back points.

I've posted this before, but the folkstyle vs freestyle discussion reminds me of a story John told Trackwrestling a few years back...

John lost in November 1986 to Nebraska's Gil Sanchez, who was very good on top. John was returning from his redshirt year after proving he was one of the best freestylers in the world (he beat the eventual 1986 World Champ Khazar Issaev that summer). After losing to Sanchez, John registered for an Open a week later "to prove it was a fluke and whip him", but only won by a point or two. John said that he learned a valuable lesson then that he has never forgotten - folkstyle wrestling is hard. Mat wrestling - riding a guy and getting out from bottom - is hard. John said he knew he needed to get better on the mat...

Fast forward five months later, John faces Sanchez in the NCAA finals. Result - Sanchez takes top in the 2nd and John escapes immediately, John takes bottom in the 3rd and reverses Sanchez. Final score 17-4, 2:30 riding time for John with multiple sets of back points.

John finished that match right. It reminded me when Fargo use to be at UNI. John was a senior and was in the freestyle junior semi's against another Cowboy recruit from Michigan maybe Balzewski). He got pancaked quick in the 1st period and was pinned. He also lost for 3rd. The recruit who pinned him I don't believe did much in college and John was the greatest of all time. I also remember John was not a good loser and LeRoy coached him and had his gear but John would have nothing to do with LeRoy at the time.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT