ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be Gone in the Dark

FMPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Watch this last week on HBO and had mixed reactions. I was wondering if anyone else had and what you thought.

First the positive. I thought it did a really good job of documenting the survivors and the long term affects the crimes had on them.

Beyond that I thought that part got almost buried in the whole "citizen detective" internet nerds narrative. Much like "Don't F With Cats" I was left with the questions did they really accomplish anything. They admitted that the ultimate suspect was never identified or even mentioned at any point in all her research and notes or by any of the websites, pod cast etc. They as did law enforcement for that matter completely whiffed. He was only caught due to advances in technology and DNA databases.

Quite frankly I didn't get them and the whole obsession for people who had no connection to the case and found the whole crime.com convention and subculture kind of creepy. The whole thing felt like an attempt by Patton Oswald to justify his wife's drug addition and death as some kind of martyr for the cause.

I thought it was really good. The case is interesting as hell and I agree that they did a great job making the survivors actual people. I didn't like the stuff about Patton's wife as much but I never really got a martyr or justification vibe. Definitely would have liked it if it was just a straight true crime doc but that is more my thing.

It is amazing how they finally caught the guy.

Reactions: BvillePoker
Agree with both of you basically. Patton Oswalt is understandably sympathetic to his wife’s part in the entire case but his attitude rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT