Edmond, Oklahoma
Top Story Editor's Pick

OSU FOOTBALL

Identifying the Oklahoma State breakout players to watch in 2024​

• Aug 26, 2024 Updated 11 hrs ago
tyler waldrep

Tyler Waldrep

OSU Sports Writer

TILLWATER — A lot can change in one season. Just ask Oklahoma State running back Ollie Gordon.

“Last year around this time, I was just a little sophomore nobody knew about,” Gordon said. “Now I’m a junior that everybody knows about.”

Gordon’s humility might be kicking in a bit there. He rushed for 308 yards and averaged 4.9 per carry as a freshman the season before, so he wasn’t a complete unknown. He certainly wasn’t the nationally recognized name he is today that gets included in everything from Heisman discussions to NFL draft projections.

Gordon is just one of many Cowboy stars who put together breakout performances last fall. Linebacker Nick Martin recorded 15 tackles in 2022 while playing mostly special teams before leading the Cowboys with 140 in 2023.

A dozen football players named the players that would surprise Oklahoma State fans this fall. Only four Cowboys got mentioned more than once.

RB Sesi Vailahi

66aec5237d13d.image.jpg

Depth chart: 2nd team RB
2023 stats: six carries for 27 yards, two receptions for 12 yards
Years at OSU: 2nd
The redshirt freshman was the most popular answer among Cowboys polled, earning recognition from teammates on both sides of the ball.

“We already know that he can play,” OSU safety Lyrik Rawls said. “But he just ain’t got the chance to play yet. I feel like once he gets the chance to get in he’s gonna show out.”

For much of the spring, it felt like Vailahi wouldn’t get that chance after he appeared to fall behind Arkansas transfer AJ Green during spring practice. Green suffered an injury late in the spring, which prompted Oklahoma State to bring in Indiana transfer Trent Howland after he led his former team in rushing last fall.

Despite the late addition to the competition, Vailahi appears poised to serve as Gordon’s primary backup this fall.

“Sesi comes downhill all the time,” Cowboy linebacker Justin Wright said. “He’s got a good little burst on him, so I think he’s gonna be a little stud for us.”

Offensive lineman Jake Springfield was impressed with Vailahi’s performance throughout spring and fall camp. He expects the redshirt freshman to emerge as an impact player at running back.

“They’re just going to have to wait and see,” Springfield said of OSU fans. “Because the things I’ve seen him do. … He can handle himself, and he knows what he’s doing.”

TE Josh Ford

661eee10eb11c.image.jpg

Depth chart: 2nd/3rd team TE
2023 stats (high school): 22 receptions for 245 yards, three touchdowns, plus 50 tackles
Years at OSU: 1st

Ford was the most popular name among Cowboy players and Mike Gundy whenever questions about newcomers came up.

That he was only mentioned by two players this fall might suggest that the freshman has already become something of an expected contributor instead of a daily surprise the way he was in the spring.
“He had an amazing spring ball,” OSU quarterback Zane Flores said. “And he’s super young and he’s a freshman, but I mean he’s huge. He’s built really well. He’s super physical, and he’s super athletic. So, our whole tight end room is going to be awesome, but I’m just excited to see what he can do.”

The 6-foot-6, roughly 260-pound tight end from Stillwater High was listed as a co-second teamer alongside redshirt senior Quinton Stewart, who played 81 total snaps last season.

Usually blocking serves as a limiting factor for freshman tight ends, but that might not be the case for Ford this fall.

“I think Josh Ford will contribute a good amount,” Oklahoma State center Joe Michalski said. “I mean great blocker. I mean for a young guy he will contribute.”

DE Obi Ezeigbo​

Depth chart: 2nd/3rd team LB
2023 stats (Gannon): 54 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, one fumble recovery
Ezeigbo spent the last five years at Division-II Gannon, where he played under Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Bryan Nardo, who is now entering his second season in Stillwater.

That familiarity showed up quickly.

“Just how fast he was able to pick up the defense and learn it,” OSU defensive end Xavier Ross said. “It is kind of complicated coming in just having something extra to learn, the scheme as well as he did. Just his ability to prepare, and he also is a great athlete. He got (a) wicked first step. So, I’m just excited to see how he performs on Saturdays.”

Despite arriving as a defensive end in the spring, the 6-2, 245-pounder was listed at linebacker alongside Poasa Utu as co-backups behind Collin Oliver. Considering expectations that Oliver will slide into more of an edge role this season, it makes sense to see Eziegbo there.

highlighting the defensive line. He listed Ezeigbo as one of five players, including Oliver, in that unit who will impress fans this fall.

“I think they will surprise people with the pressure they put on the quarterback,” Birmingham said.

WR Gavin Freeman

66aebdfa4a0b5.image.jpg

Depth chart: 2nd team WR
2023 stats (Oklahoma): 19 receptions, 95 yards, touchdown; five carries for 20 yards; 18 punt returns resulting in 122 yards and a touchdown.
Freeman arrived in Stillwater with no crazy aspirations. In fact, he spoke of redshirting, but the Cowboys might have bigger plans in mind for the former Sooner, who is expected to backup Brennan Presley this fall.
“I think his twitchiness and speed is really going to help us,” OSU quarterback Alan Bowman said. “Hopefully the Cowboy nation will embrace him well because he’s going to help us win a lot of games.”

Freeman earned rave reviews from his teammates throughout fall camp despite the fact that he was not with the Cowboys during the spring. Fellow receiver De’Zhaun Stribling listed Freeman alongside five other receivers, but it was clear that the Oklahoma transfer impressed him this fall.

“G-Freaky, … there’s a lot of things he can do that is beautiful,” Stribling said.
Sixteen other Cowboys were mentioned only once. Below is a list of those guys with a few additional quotes for further context.

WR: De’Zhaun Stribling, Talyn Shettron, Da’Wain Lofton, Ty Walls, Jalen Pope, Camron Heard.

NT: Iman Oates, Collin Clay, Justin Kirkland.

LB: Jeff Roberson, Justin Wright, Collin Oliver.

CB: Cam Smith.

S: Kobe Hylton, David Kabongo, Lyrik Rawls.

OL Preston Wilson: “One guy got hurt last year and didn’t get to play a lot of snaps. He’s a dog, he’s a great player … Justin Wright. You should be hearing his name a lot, he’s going to make a lot of plays, he’s a playmaker.”

OL Preston Wilson: “Another guy has played more of a backup reserve role. Once he is in the game he’s dominant. His name is Iman Oates. He’s going to be a very dominant defensive lineman in my opinion. I think he can be good at the pass rush, he’s very physical, very dominant.”

Justin Wright: “Jeff Roberson, Lyrik Rawls, Sesi. Jeff has a lot of knowledge about this defense. He’s determined, he works hard. Lyrik is a lot like me — he got hurt last year, so I know he’s got stuff to prove.”

Cam Smith on Kabongo: “He is real physical. I’d probably say mentally, he’s more mature than a lot of freshmen that come in. He takes coaching. He doesn’t take it too personal. He just kind of listens to what it is and tries to apply it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.