ADVERTISEMENT

I went full retard...

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
just picked up a Desert Eagle 50AE. I've always been enamored with these guns, and I finally decided to jump on one since the price was right and the finish is an odd ball finish. No, it's not cheetah or tiger striped...

Once I get it in I'll do my usual non-expert review. This is obviously a gun with no real purpose in my life other than looking cool and making those range trips more intense.

I had a Freedom Arms 50 AE that I sold years ago. I was actually scared the cartridge was going the way of the dodo and unloaded it since it was crazy expensive. It was a mistake. You will absolutely love it. It make a huge mother effing bang, recoil is absurd, and you can shoot down trees. It's awesome.

I had a Freedom Arms 50 AE that I sold years ago. I was actually scared the cartridge was going the way of the dodo and unloaded it since it was crazy expensive. It was a mistake. You will absolutely love it. It make a huge mother effing bang, recoil is absurd, and you can shoot down trees. It's awesome.

Good to know. I always get crazy and track a firearm package like crazy, but not like I have this one. I bet I look at the UPS tracker ever hour lol. I've already bought quite a few rounds for it, got some at a decent price locally since I'm a regular and they don't sell much of it.

And oh gawd oh hell oh shit oh hell....yes the gun is unloaded, you are all safe from a cyberspace bullet screaming through the screen at you since I had my finger on the trigger in this pic LOL.

Seriously, people get so panty wadded in YouTube comments about that nonsense...figured you guys all get that the gun has been checked, but.....

That looks great. The finish is awesome.

Looks heavy but you'll be happy about that at the range.

Here's a couple more pics. The gun next to it my HK USP 9 tactical. That's not necessarily a small gun by itself, but it's looking small next to this beast. I was thinking of adding the "Grim Reaper" style grips, but after seeing these in person I will pass.

I just wonder if each cerakote job is unique or if they are close to the same on a this particular model. They got it right on with this example. Range trip tomorrow for sure if time allows.

I'm impressed with the a quality of this gun. This one was made in Israel, which I'm told is supposedly better in terms of fit and finish. Don't know that first hand as I don't have a USA made example. My only issue was with the plastic box it came in...mine was split at the hinge and the boxes are really cheaply built. Also wish it came with another mag, just shipped with one. But overall it's well done.

First day at the range. Wow...this gun is FUN to shoot! I took my time and got to know the gun today, wasn't shooting for accuracy really so I don't have any pics of targets at this time. The recoil was simply not what it's all cracked up to be by folks on the internet. I've shot a S&W 500, that was several notches above this in terms of recoil. To me, and this is just me, the weight of the gun significantly takes the recoil out of it so much so that it felt like some really hot .357 rounds I have shot out of a 2 inch revolver. I was shooting Hornady 300 grain XTP, and it could be that load isn't as hot as some others. I have seen that said in some of my research.

I went through 40 rounds, would have done more but I didn't bring any more than that.

One thing, and this didn't happen to me, you have to be mindful of the slide, grip placement is essential with the weak or support hand. The take down button on the left side was my reference point. Just keep your thumb at or below that and loop your index finger around the front of the trigger guard. The recoil seemed to push nicely back towards my trigger hand, and with my grip technique I didn't encounter much muzzle flip. I did when shooting one handed, but that's to be expected.

All in all, I know there are folks that love to hate on the Desert Eagle 50AE, but it's simply unwarranted. If you enjoy large caliber hand guns, this is a great gun to pick up right now, especially since you can get a package deal now from Magnum Research that includes both the .44 mag and 50AE barrels and mags with one gun. I didn't purchase that one at this time, might get the 44 mag barrel later though.

I will post about a couple other items I tried out later, the VP9SK from HK, and also the new Fostech Echo trigger for the AR-15.

The S&W 500 isn't in a semi auto format usually. That absorbs a lot of recoil. Still, glad to hear the recoil was quite manageable.

Yeah, the S&W 500 was in a Magnum Reserach revolver I shot that was a friend of mines gun. I should have clarified that. Even if it was semi auto, i would imagine it would still be several notches above the 50AE. Bigger cartridge. I just included my experience as a comparison.

here is one I'm looking into on gunbroker that is called "apocalyptic" ceracote finish. Also cool.....

pix676777324.jpg

It's an easy cartridge to reload but it will still be expensive. 50 cal is a rotund round and requires big primers and lots of smokeless.

here is one I'm looking into on gunbroker that is called "apocalyptic" ceracote finish. Also cool.....

pix676777324.jpg
I remember reading that this look comes from wiping on some type of chemical, same used to show etching and steel layers in Damascus swords/knives/etc. True?

BTW, gun looks badass.

Cerakote as I understand it is a electrically charged/bonded ceramic coating that is baked on and is hard as nails, corrosion proof,, etc.

As such, it would be quite different than Damascus steel, the look is e result of different but compatible metal compounds (different types of steel) that are layered, heated, pressed, drawn, etc. together. At least that is what I believe to be true. The look of say a Japanese sword comes from many very thin layers laid together under much pressure and heat, but they are beautiful! I think the Damascus steel in guns is yet another process I don't know anything about but must be similar in some way to achieve that look.

con-roughed.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rulz
Cerakote as I understand it is a electrically charged/bonded ceramic coating that is hard as nails. As such, it would be different than Damascus steel look, which is in the metal. At least that is what I believe to be true. The look of say a Japanese sword comes from many very thin layers laid together under much pressure and heat, but they are beautiful! I think Damascus steel in guns is yet another process I don't know anything about.
I just meant from the chemical etching standpoint. Whatever the chemical is, it accentuates the designs, but doesn't make them. I have seen on youtube people rubbing something on steel, letting it set, and then wiping it off and it gives a similar appearance. I could be, probably am, wrong, just going what I have seen. Having said that, it doesn't really matter, the gun still looks badass!

Reactions: TexasCowPoke

pix676777324.jpg

Yup, that's the same one I bought. Just make sure it's in 50AE, I have seen some of those ads showing a 44mag for the "apocalyptic" or white matte Distressed finished as they call it.

Took mine out to the range again this week...gawd I love this gun. I'm actually going to purchase the 44 mag barrel for it as well at some point, and a shoulder holster rig with holsters for two spare mags.

I like that the recoil seems to go back into my hand and not "up". I don't have the muzzle brake or anything like that, this particular finish comes just as it looks.

Sumbitch is loud. I might be a big strong guy but I'm a weeny when it comes to my ears. Always have been. I remember catching hell for wearing ear protection while hunting squirrels as a kid (had to hunt by sight alone lol)...but it's saved my hearing. I wear both plugs and muffs when shooting the DE. With those in place, it's no big deal at all.

Check out Grabagun.com and see if you can catch one on sale. I got mine for $1550, that included the gun, shipping, transfer, the whole bit. At the time their shipping was like $7.95 for any firearm. GunBroker, the lowest I saw one on there was $1615 or so, and that was before shipping and FFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT