ADVERTISEMENT

Hunting Rifle: Recoil pads vs. Muzzle brakes vs Suppression

trapped_in_tx

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
Longmont, CO
I'm seeing a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 for sale at Bass Pro and thinking of nabbing one.

I have heard some tales of higher than preferred recoil on these and I'm curious if anyone has opinions of different methods of addressing that.

I've heard that brakes can be a bigger pain than they are worth with the noise and debris. An upgraded recoil pad could do what I need. I've also heard that suppression might be a decent option.

Thoughts?

Live in and (mostly) hunt in Colorado, just to frame the suppression comments.

For a 30-06 hunting rifle, I would likely buy and install the best recoil pad you can get before looking at any of the other options. Just be prepared to potentially have the stock trimmed if the pad makes the length of pull too long.

Muzzle brakes can be very very loud. Enough to do serious permanent damage with one unprotected shot. If you go that route, when hunting, I suggest using some type of electronic sound amplification/suppression so you don't go deaf when you shoot. Also, different muzzle brakes are louder and quieter. You can also use the brake when sighting in and practicing and remove it for the hunt.

Suppression. Great idea. If you order immediately, it MIGHT be available next deer season. But probably not. If you go this route, look at the Thunderbeast Ultra line. They're widely know as one of if not the most accurate suppressers on the market. They're not rated for semi-auto fire but are used by top competitors in precision rifle matches. Something like 80% of the top 50 use Thunderbeast. I have one for my 300 WSM hunting rifle. It's still in ATF jail and I ordered just after Christmas last year.

My suggestion would be to decide what the most important factors the rifle needs to embody and try to match the recoil reduction device that best helps you meet those goals. For example, if keeping weight to a minimum is the goal on this rifle, a suppressor isn't the direction I would go. Probably a titanium muzzle brake would offer the lowest weight to reduction ratio.

If overall shooting pleasure is the direction you want, the definately go with a suppressor. You honestly won't believe what it does.

And an improved recoil pad can be bought no matter what.

Hey Trapped! As you know, the Tikkas are nice guns with a rep for accuracy.
Great Points by Panhandle. When reading this, I was curious about just how much/often you would shoot this rifle, as if it is not for competition or at the range many times and hundreds of rounds a year, I'd probably only go with a good recoil pad rather than a muzzlebrake. I have one on my Browning A-bolt 06 and it is terribly loud though it does reduce the recoil a bit.
Everyone at the range stops shooting and looks when that thing goes off. I kind of hate to be "that guy". ;) Sounds like an elephant gun, but kicks like a 243.

I probably don't shoot as much as some, but when I buy hunting rounds, I buy 3-4 boxes of the same run, so they are uniform. On a known rifle, I may shoot two boxes sighting in and practicing before hunting or anytime I think I need to check it out (couple of times a year, at least spr and fall). (Of course you may want to shoot more with a new rifle/scope combo)

I don't think recoil in that caliber/rifle for the average hunter/shooter is too much of an issue. For the range or for youth or your wife, you can also purchase "reduced recoil" rounds (if you don't reload yourself) and get the same effect. Also, for bench shooting, I made a pad from thin dense foam that I can lay over my shoulder and fits under the stock and it helps quite a bit. I never ever notice recoil when I'm hunting..:cool:. Some more things to think about.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I really was leaning against a muzzle brake already based on the downsides I have read about. Just doesn't seem worth it.

This is a lighter gun and some of the reviews noted a bit more recoil than might be desired, thus the question.

I won't be doing any competition with this rifle unless some things change fairly dramatically over the next few years.

Suppression is intriguing but I knew it would be quite a bit of time and hassle to actually obtain the suppressor. This is my "I'm very intrigued by this" option, not my practical option.

I was already going to look into recoil pads anyway. I'd like to do a decent amount of range shooting outside of hunting trips with this rifle but we'll see if I have the opportunities.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks guys.

I really was leaning against a muzzle brake already based on the downsides I have read about. Just doesn't seem worth it.

This is a lighter gun and some of the reviews noted a bit more recoil than might be desired, thus the question.

I won't be doing any competition with this rifle unless some things change fairly dramatically over the next few years.

Suppression is intriguing but I knew it would be quite a bit of time and hassle to actually obtain the suppressor. This is my "I'm very intrigued by this" option, not my practical option.

I was already going to look into recoil pads anyway. I'd like to do a decent amount of range shooting outside of hunting trips with this rifle but we'll see if I have the opportunities.

Thanks again for the feedback!

And the stock recoil pads now a days are so much better, I'd just bye a slip on after market recoil pad and see how you like it. My new hogue stock on the .270WSM I bought from jeff was really good when it came to recoil. I shot it with a tshirt on no problem.

After getting my new suppressor, Thunder Beast Ultra 7, I can't recommend the suppressor enough. It's hard to tell from photo's, but there has to be enough barrel to cut threads on so you'd need to check that before buying. I bought the 7" model but there are 5" and 9" models as well. Longer is quieter and heavier.

The rifle has a 22" barrel. A 7" suppressor would add approximately 6" to the OAL of the rifle and barrel.

Simply put, a suppressor makes every aspect of shooting firearms more pleasurable EXCEPT weight. And I think it is about a 70% chance they're removed from NFA paperwork legislatively this year.

I honestly will be converting every firearm I own to use some form of suppression except those with barrels too thin to cut threads on. I recommend everyone do this as soon as the legal side is more clear. You will never regret it.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
After getting my new suppressor, Thunder Beast Ultra 7, I can't recommend the suppressor enough. It's hard to tell from photo's, but there has to be enough barrel to cut threads on so you'd need to check that before buying. I bought the 7" model but there are 5" and 9" models as well. Longer is quieter and heavier.

The rifle has a 22" barrel. A 7" suppressor would add approximately 6" to the OAL of the rifle and barrel.

Simply put, a suppressor makes every aspect of shooting firearms more pleasurable EXCEPT weight. And I think it is about a 70% chance they're removed from NFA paperwork legislatively this year.

I honestly will be converting every firearm I own to use some form of suppression except those with barrels too thin to cut threads on. I recommend everyone do this as soon as the legal side is more clear. You will never regret it.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the legislative side of firearm suppressors this year. It's almost maddening to consider the complexity and cost associated with obtaining the model you purchased when the manufacturing facility is just 70 miles north of my residence.

I don't know how good their products are, but these guys are right around the corner from where my son goes to Karate. So close, yet so far.

I can't speculate on the quality of their suppressor. I will say that while I'm sure some designs are better than others, all will help dramatically over non suppressed.

If it goes on a hunting rifle, weight and size are a relevant and important factors of consideration.

Although we should never shoot without hearing protection- we sometimes do. Muzzle breaks make the gun dangerously loud. Don't do it without muffs/plugs 100% of time.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
I just realized that the BOSS system on my Browning A-Bolt uses commonly found threads of most suppressors. 9/16 x 24. This easily opens up some opportunities!

(I assumed I would have to do some gunsmithing/threading barrel after cutting old threads off, etc.).

5/8 24 is the most common for 30 caliber suppressors. Threads often correspond with a caliber I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT