ADVERTISEMENT

Hunting clothing

Ha. Welcome to the last hunting clothes you'll ever buy. They just released the new additions for the 2016 line on their website.

They seem to run small or I'm getting fat. I ordered 38L I probably need a 40L. Has anyone else noticed this? I looked at the other brands too, but I like sitka's camo design better.

I normally wear a 34 in slacks and jeans, but i got the 36R in the Timberline pant and the large in the Stratus pant and they fit perfect.

Camofire is having a big sale on Sitka today

@dtspoke

In all of your gear testing, you wouldn't have a pair of Sitka Ascent pants in the Clay color, size 36R laying around that you would sell, do you? Slim chance I'm sure, but they are impossible to find on the internet since they discontinued the Clay color. I have combed every dark hole of the internet trying to find them.

My new Sitka is too small. My father in law ordered large. I ordered xl. We're going to have to move to L and Xl. So I'll have some L for sale.

Yeah, its more of an athletic fit. What large pieces did you order?

@dtspoke

In all of your gear testing, you wouldn't have a pair of Sitka Ascent pants in the Clay color, size 36R laying around that you would sell, do you? Slim chance I'm sure, but they are impossible to find on the internet since they discontinued the Clay color. I have combed every dark hole of the internet trying to find them.

Nope, all I have are the different Optifade options. I have an account so I looked up what they might have available and for the Ascent it's only Optifade and in the solids they have Mud, Moss, and Dirt options.

They have mud, moss, and dirt options in the ascent pant?? Are you talking about the Grinder pant?

I thought about getting the grinder, but I think its going to be heavier than what I want. I don't want them in the optifade open country.

They have mud, moss, and dirt options in the ascent pant?? Are you talking about the Grinder pant?

I thought about getting the grinder, but I think its going to be heavier than what I want. I don't want them in the optifade open country.

Right, the Grinder.

I have the Bivy 30. For the money, I think there are packs that are just as good if not better. I prefer my Eberlestock Blue Widow and Sawed Off packs more.

This fall I have the redesigned Arctyrex Khard 30 which is a tactical bag used predominately by US Operators overseas. Originally made for military use with lots of velcro, daisy chains, and for tactical radio setups, they are trying to market this to the hunting community.

It's a really cool bag, and very well built, and freaking expensive. As a hunting pack, I'm not convinced it's that special, so I won't be recommending it other than specific day pack use.

At this point Eberlestock and probably Badlands or Under Armour have some of the best packs for the money.

I've looked at Eberlestock and Badlands, but I can get a Sitka pack 60% off through my buddy right now. I mainly treestand hunt, but I really don't like the new bags they released for whitetail, so I was thinking about going with the Flash 20 or the Ascent.

That new Ascent 12 is sweet and at 60% off (that's my deal by the way) it's a great buy. I think I've said it, but I would gag if I had to pay full price on a lot of this stuff, even if it's worth it paired against what else is on the market.

The low end stuff is awful, so the higher end gear can really push prices up and create large differentiation.

Yeah, it is nice, and @ 75 bucks with the discount is a steal, but I think it's going to be a little too small for me. I end up hauling a lot of unnecessary crap to the tree stand, so I think I may go with the Flash.

I wouldn't own any of the stuff if I didn't get a deal from my buddy, but man is it nice.

I'm about a year late to this thread, but I'll throw in another recommendation for Sitka and the Eberlestock Sawed Off day pack; both have been significant upgrades over my previous gear (Cabela's MT050 and Camelback hydration pack respectively). I was given a Cloudburst jacket for a Christmas gift and I bought the matching pants separately...they keep out the wind (!!) and rain, but they are pretty loud and "krinkly". The Mountain Pant (subsequent purchase) is perfect for S. NM fall weather and is much, much quieter than the Cloudburst. The knee pads are also pretty sweet, but the material isn't nearly as hardy as denim...barbwire fences and errant knife work (family tradition) have left me with several offseason patching opportunities. I'm also a fan of the Sitka shooter gloves - which may make me a sissy in the eyes of some - but the thorns and thistles in our area have made me a big believer in gloves...and you can actually work a trigger in these.

I shot this elk a few days ago...temps ranged from 55 deg in the AM to 80 in the afternoon (which is typical for this hunt)...Sitka Mountain pants, Core Lightweight Crew (couldn't afford sleeves), and Shooter gloves shown. This was also my first hunt with the Danner Pronghorn boot and I loved them! Not as sturdy as my White's, but much more comfortable for the medium-to-easy level terrain we hunt.
elk-2016-gear.jpg

elk-2016-side.jpg

T5bMvximdLoRTKMg6

We lucked out this year and hit the rut full stride. In 1.5 days, we had 3 elk down and no one left with a tag. We went back into the woods the next morning armed only with cow calls and bugles and could have easily shot another 6x6. Elk hunting is magical, there is simply nothing I've hunted that compares. My dad's bull (center) had 57" main beams and dwarfs the one I posted. Oh, and the win over UT - which we were able to catch the last half of - was icing on the cake!
elk-2016-three.jpg

Beautiful hunt. Man, I would love to do that sometime.

I have all the gear, just haven't ever had the time to get away like that.

Someday soon...

I'm about a year late to this thread, but I'll throw in another recommendation for Sitka and the Eberlestock Sawed Off day pack; both have been significant upgrades over my previous gear (Cabela's MT050 and Camelback hydration pack respectively). I was given a Cloudburst jacket for a Christmas gift and I bought the matching pants separately...they keep out the wind (!!) and rain, but they are pretty loud and "krinkly". The Mountain Pant (subsequent purchase) is perfect for S. NM fall weather and is much, much quieter than the Cloudburst. The knee pads are also pretty sweet, but the material isn't nearly as hardy as denim...barbwire fences and errant knife work (family tradition) have left me with several offseason patching opportunities. I'm also a fan of the Sitka shooter gloves - which may make me a sissy in the eyes of some - but the thorns and thistles in our area have made me a big believer in gloves...and you can actually work a trigger in these.

I shot this elk a few days ago...temps ranged from 55 deg in the AM to 80 in the afternoon (which is typical for this hunt)...Sitka Mountain pants, Core Lightweight Crew (couldn't afford sleeves), and Shooter gloves shown. This was also my first hunt with the Danner Pronghorn boot and I loved them! Not as sturdy as my White's, but much more comfortable for the medium-to-easy level terrain we hunt.
elk-2016-gear.jpg

elk-2016-side.jpg

T5bMvximdLoRTKMg6

That is so great. Your dad's bull is fantastic.

@Rulz I'm totally biased, but I think you really need to get that elk hunt set up :)

Oh, and while I'm still thinking about gear, I backed the Halo One80 headlamp on Kickstarter last winter and finally got to try the light out while field dressing this year's elk...what a fantastic purchase! In every way it is better than the single-lamp headlights I had been using. In addition to full periphery lighting, it's lightweight, flexible, rechargeable (micro USB), easily disconnected for storage in a pack (as shown below; I have had more than one light accidentally turn on and batteries drain while in my pack) and it is very, very bright; so much so, I was attracting moths with it on! I used it for a solid 2.5 hours without dimming. And to top it off, the LED strip is connected to the headband with Velcro - meaning it can be removed and situated elsewhere - e.g. attached to a backpack/MOLLE, belt, clothing, etc. At $49, they are a little pricey, but well worth the money, IMO. Extra batteries are $20.
halo.jpg

Rockin' the Geordi La Forge look:
halo-joshua.jpg

We lucked out this year and hit the rut full stride. In 1.5 days, we had 3 elk down and no one left with a tag. We went back into the woods the next morning armed only with cow calls and bugles and could have easily shot another 6x6. Elk hunting is magical, there is simply nothing I've hunted that compares. My dad's bull (center) had 57" main beams and dwarfs the one I posted. Oh, and the win over UT - which we were able to catch the last half of - was icing on the cake!
elk-2016-three.jpg
My dad's bull was just scored at 361" (SCI). Biggest bull he has ever taken. Banner year!

I ordered a few more pieces through my buddy on their Friends and Family weekend a couple of weeks ago.. It's incredible stuff..

@dtspoke how do you like the new pattern they are testing? Looks like the European ground pattern. I like it.

I ordered a few more pieces through my buddy on their Friends and Family weekend a couple of weeks ago.. It's incredible stuff..

@dtspoke how do you like the new pattern they are testing? Looks like the European ground pattern. I like it.

I like it too. I picked up some of their new run over the winter and it's good stuff. I ordered quite a bit of different pieces for the guys who work for me and they love it.

I've got Kuiu on back order right now so I want to see some of their new gear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT