ADVERTISEMENT

Hunting clothing

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with some of the high end stuff like Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, First Lite, etc?

I need some new gear.

I finally caved and bought several articles from Sitka a few weeks ago. My good friend has a pro deal with them, so I got it all at 50% off, which is why I bought it. I wouldn't do it at full price, but man is the stuff nice.. I ordered the Stratus Pants, Stratus jacket, Stratus vest, and a lightweight, mid weight, and heavyweight insulation layer. I am going to get the equinox pant for early season whitetail. It is super comfy. I've yet to hunt much in it, so I don't have a full review, but what I seen so far I really like it.

Price was the main reason I was thinking I might try Kuiu since it is a little less than the Sitka and Kryptek stuff.

I'm geared up in Sitka also, I think pokes15 and I got the same deal.

The stuff is the real deal!

The pro-deal is a hell of a deal. I bet my buddy ordered $3k worth of stuff for me and several other guys. I'm going to get a couple more pieces and I should be covered from early season to late season whitetail.

The pro-deal is a hell of a deal. I bet my buddy ordered $3k worth of stuff for me and several other guys. I'm going to get a couple more pieces and I should be covered from early season to late season whitetail.
Quick question if you do not mind answering, what is normal price for the 6 items you ordered, pants, jacket and vest along with the 3 insulation layers. I elk hunt once a year in Colorado and whitetail hunt out in western Oklahoma and was interested in some nice hunting gear to wear. My guess is this is going to be out of my price range but thought I would check. Thanks

@osu1981

Look at the "Teton" line at Kuiu. It is like $800 for everything. It lacks some of the features of Kuiu's top lines and Sitkas lines but comes in at a modest price for high quality gear. I have strategically replaced portions of it for other lines where I valued the features more than price. It gets good reviews. I haven't bought yet but will when I have the money.

http://www.kuiu.com/teton-collection/

Quick question if you do not mind answering, what is normal price for the 6 items you ordered, pants, jacket and vest along with the 3 insulation layers. I elk hunt once a year in Colorado and whitetail hunt out in western Oklahoma and was interested in some nice hunting gear to wear. My guess is this is going to be out of my price range but thought I would check. Thanks

Retail price for everything i got was around $1200. No way would I have spent that much. I had trouble getting it for half that, but the old adage of you get what you pay for rings true with this stuff. Its extremely nice. I'll put the warmth to the test chasing coyotes tomorrow in Woodward all day.

@osu1981

Look at the "Teton" line at Kuiu. It is like $800 for everything. It lacks some of the features of Kuiu's top lines and Sitkas lines but comes in at a modest price for high quality gear. I have strategically replaced portions of it for other lines where I valued the features more than price. It gets good reviews. I haven't bought yet but will when I have the money.

http://www.kuiu.com/teton-collection/
Thanks, will take a look at the Teton line, was hoping to see some these items go on sale in January or February.

I'm a pro for Sitka but I also get huge discounts on Kuiu. It's really pricey and really worth it for both. If you notice all my hunting pics you can see it's almost all Sitka and Core4Element who I don't use anymore.

In Sitka and Kuiu I have about 3K worth of gear that I obviously haven't paid that kind of money for. I love both, but I have a stronger affinity for Sitka.

As a matter of fact, I'm testing Pantanal Parka and Their Delta jacket against the Drake LST system which is the gold standard. It's a draw for me which means that's a huge success for Sitka.

Waterfowl guys are more committed to their camo brand than their wives and dogs.

I'm completely sold on it after chasing coyotes in 25 degree weather all day last Tuesday. I never got cold, not even a chill in my Stratus system. It was like walking around in warm pajamas all day.

Yup! Haven't put the stuff through the ringer, and I may not at this stage...but it's awesome for what I'm doing right now.

I found the Sitka Stratus jacket, vest and bib on sale for 30% off and hope to have them in a week. Searched the internet for hours to find a location with sales on these items. Still have not been able to find the Sitka Stratus pants on sale, still all listed at $299. Did find oddball sizes on sale 3XL or 2XL, of course I need a large. Will keep looking and hopefully will find some over the next couple of months. Sounds like you all like sitka and I have never had better hunting clothes before, always too cheap.

Sign up for Camofire.com's daily email's. They drop in Sitka, C4E, Kryptek and other high end stuff often. Sometimes have some really good stuff in there.

Sign up for Camofire.com's daily email's. They drop in Sitka, C4E, Kryptek and other high end stuff often. Sometimes have some really good stuff in there.
Will sign up, thanks. Probably keep checking the internet daily watching for post season sales.

Also, check archerytalk.com and 24hourcampfire.com. These are huge hunting sites and guys unload their gear all the time.

If you ever want to know if this stuff is worth it, I can tell you first hand we've done seriously extreme stuff and it's worked great

Cabelas had two of us try their guide gear. I thought it was pretty good, but we hit a single digit stretch and found that their insulation wasn't uniform. I had frozen pieces.

Also, check archerytalk.com and 24hourcampfire.com. These are huge hunting sites and guys unload their gear all the time.

If you ever want to know if this stuff is worth it, I can tell you first hand we've done seriously extreme stuff and it's worked great

Cabelas had two of us try their guide gear. I thought it was pretty good, but we hit a single digit stretch and found that their insulation wasn't uniform. I had frozen pieces.
I saw on archery talk a guy had a pair of Sitka Stratus in the large size but it was only $30 cheaper than retail price. Still had the tags and he indicated he had never hunted in the pants, needed the x-large size. Thought if I kept watching I might find them cheaper on sale, possibly not.

Took me hours of searching the Internet but was able to get the stratus jacket, bib, vest and pants for 30% off normal price in my size. Had to end up going thru Bob Wards Outdoors in Montana. Free shipping, this stuff is difficult to find on sale.

You'll love the Stratus system. The windstopper it has them is awesome, especially here in OK.

Camofire.com had the Timberline pants on sale 35% off on Monday. Just as I was getting my credit card the dang time expired. My buddy has them and he loves them.

Reactions: chasepollard
You'll love the Stratus system. The windstopper it has them is awesome, especially here in OK.

Camofire.com had the Timberline pants on sale 35% off on Monday. Just as I was getting my credit card the dang time expired. My buddy has them and he loves them.
Would love to find one more pair of the Stratus pants (L) optifade elevated II,lot of locations still do not have them on sale, hopefully they will before 2016 pants come out. Will be able to use them on our bear hunt in May and hopefully elk in Sept!

The stratus pants will probably be too hot for both of those instances. I'd check out the equinox pant or the timberline.

Thanks, will do that. Will be up around Ft. McMurray for bear and they said the temperature could swing drastically, last September while in Colorado we could have worn shorts and a t-shirt on our last day bow hunting. Just have to prepare for both, another reason to tell the wife I need additional hunting clothes. ; )

Sitka is coming out with a new timberline pant, so this years model will probably start to be discounted. Depending on what size you wear, Midwayusa.com has them for $132 bucks, but limited sizes.

Dollars are very tight around my house, but I did recently upgrade my hunting duds. Despite hit-and-miss results with UnderArmour clothes and footwear (especially footwear...it's great or awful, no middle ground), I took advantage of year-end closeouts, gift cards and Atwoods specifically having a great UA sale and upgraded my hunting clothing and boots for the first time in 10 years. Clothes were 25% off of already-discounted (by about 25%) prices. Footwear was buy-one, get-one half off, with the 25% discount.

My only experience with the new gear so far was at the lease in south Texas, where we had rain and mid-30's temps. The line I bought is not Goretex, but "water resistant". Riding to a stand in an open-windshield vehicle in steady rain both mornings, I was really wondering...and felt about half-naked wearing what seemed like a light jacket, bib overalls and 4.0 base layer (redhead). Two days later, I can say it was in fact water resistant, fought the wind and kept me pretty warm sitting in a blind. The boots are comfy and also water-resistant. I bought uninsulated Speed Freek Bozeman's, so they weren't exactly warm, but that's my bad for leaving my Rocky 800 grams on the porch in Stillwater. The UA boots are nice, but if they last 1/10th as long as my 10 year old Danner Pronghorns have, I'll be shocked. Durability will be my concern going forward with all the UA gear. So far, so good though.

So there's my review of high end clothing that no one had previously mentioned. :)

A question about the Sitka outerwear: I'm picky about only hunting in very quiet/silent gear, beacuse as you all know, when a deer is 30 yds or closer, any noise is a dealbreaker. How does it rank as quiet fabric? Also, because I almost exclusively bowhunt for deer, I'm a stickler for scent control and prefer not to wear a set of clothes for more than one hunt (i.e. am hunt, change for the pm hunt). This makes for 2 complete sets of clothes a day, sometimes for 5 days or more at a time. When I start to add up what it would run me to have 10 separate sets of Sitka gear with all the layers, it's a bit mind boggling..... :eek: I try to add some new each year, so gradually upgrading my wear will be a goal.... so this has been a helpful thread!

Last edited:
C4E has some good stuff. It's not my favorite but it's better than most out there

This first pic is all Sitka, other than my dad's cotton Walmart specials. I bought him some nicer technical hunting clothing later this year after he sweat himself soaking wet during the day, then froze before we got off the mountain that night (second pic).

Third pic is Sitka Downpour and it's the first waterproof material I've ever had that actually breathes and let's more water out than it let's in.

2014-09-11%2011.49.51_zpsmicqsykd.jpg

2014-09-05%2017.50.17_zpsl2frqlhy.jpg

IMG_0038_zpszrm4vl6l.jpg

This picture is proof that we don't need technical gear to get elk killed. Jeans work ok too.

IMG_5789_zpsy0ijdsfk.png

My buddy killed this 200 inch mule deer on a day that never broke zero in the backside of nowhere. We were layered up and I was using Cabela's Zonz Western with Dry-Plus in their heaviest insulation. I was melting with the jacket so I just wore bibs and a wool sweater over my vest while we quartered him. That stuff is pretty good, but the insulation tends to ball up in spots leaving cold places.

2014-11-12%2011.01.35_zpsd00sdvne.jpg

2014-11-12%2013.02.13_zpsi6izufvw.jpg

I got some KUIU gear in. I got the Tiburon pants, Guide jacket, Guide pants, and the gators, all in Vias. I'm going to get the Tiburon long sleeve shirt too, as well as several other pieces by hunting season next fall.

The Tiburon stuff is extremely light and cool. I question it's ability to withstand snags, though. Even if it doesn't I am dang sure looking forward to it next dove season, if not turkey season this spring.

The Guide gear is really nice, too. They're really soft and the stretch material and cut allow for almost unlimited movement. I think it's a little louder than straight denim and a flannel shirt but the Guide stuff will be a significant upgrade if it's cold and/or damp.

The gators are lighter than I was expecting and are certainly not going to be snake proof. They will be waterproof and provide some protection from snags but they don't feel as substantial as I was hoping. Still, they'll keep junk out of the top of my shoes and much of the snags from tearing up my pants bottoms.

Vias camo pattern is much darker than The pictures suggest. I'll take some pictures next to some other articles of clothing that might be recognizable so you can gauge how dark the pattern is. I think it will work really well in the west. I'm also someone that doesn't think camo is particularly important. Nonetheless, it will do nothing but help over my current options.

Overall, this is very high quality stuff. Much better than I have ever had, but that isn't saying much.

One thing to note, all of it is extremely light weight. Very light. The weight alone and my absolute lack of fitness makes this a good match for me. Honestly, if you're thinking about some stuff, don't look past Kuiu, or probably any of the high end brands. There's quite a big step up from your jeans and wool shirts.

Kuiu is great stuff. When you think that Jason Hairston had sheep hunting as one of his primary hunting applications when he started Kuiu, it makes the construction make more sense.

Some really good stuff coming out now from Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, C4E. This time last year my buddy was trying to talk me into getting some Sitka gear for whitetail and I told him there was no way I was spending that much money on something I could get at basspro for a 3rd of the price. Now I've got enough to outfit 2 people. Luckily he gets it half off.

On that note, Sierra Trading Post is having a killer deal on several pieces of gear right now.

Just checking with anyone on the board that has Sitka clothing they are not using, I am looking for an XL Long sleeve shirt, hoodie, jacket, etc in the optifade forest color. I purchased the bibs in the forest color and was going to get a top to go with it and did not realize they were discontinuing this color. I am following different sites for this item for sale as well as many retailers and not having much luck so thought I would throw it out on here to see if anyone had one they did not wear anymore.

Good luck osu1981. 5 minutes before posting this I closed on an Ebay transaction for a core lightweight zip-t in optifade forest in large to use for turkey hunting, and it took me forever to find it.

Check out archerytalk classifieds if you haven't already. Also, I get on craigslist and hit up different states and cities.

Have been on archery talk, craigslist and numerous internet store sights, will just have to keep watching 24/7 because the forest color goes fast. It would work well among the cedar trees in western Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT