ADVERTISEMENT

How will Oklahoma State football defense fare in Bryan Nardo's second year?

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

How will Oklahoma State football defense fare in Bryan Nardo's second year?​

Portrait of Scott WrightScott Wright
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — The question that hung over Bryan Nardo’s first year as Oklahoma State’s defensive coordinator was whether he could viably make the jump from Division II to Big 12 football.

The results of his first year were mixed. The overall numbers weren’t great, but the defense made significant improvements in areas that helped the Cowboys win 10 games.

But the true test of Nardo’s staying power in major college football will come this year, with returning starters at nearly every position and an offseason to adjust to how Big 12 offenses attacked his 3-3-5 scheme.

With an established, talented offense already in place, the Cowboys’ ultimate level of success in pursuit of a Big 12 title and a playoff berth in 2024 rides heavily on Nardo’s defensive improvement.

“This was an unusual defense last year,” head coach Mike Gundy said. “There were times that they won games for us, and then there were times that we gave up too many yards, we dropped coverage and the first three games we didn’t tackle very well.

“The good news is we have identified what the issues were and now the coaches have to work to fix those issues and find a plan to get the players to understand why that happened and how we can get better.”

74625413007-osu-1.jpg

According to those who have seen him in action through the offseason and early part of preseason camp, Nardo looks more settled than a year ago. He never seemed overwhelmed with the jump to power conference football, but it was a learning experience that benefited him.

“Just like us, Coach Nardo has shown improvement and growth,” edge rusher Collin Oliver said. “He was able to learn from last year and apply a new mindset to this year.”

Nardo added a new assistant, with veteran defensive line coach Paul Randolph replacing Greg Richmond. Randolph will be charged with the duty of improving the Cowboys’ pass rush.

The most important development from the offseason is Nardo’s work to mold the defensive scheme in a way that better fits the talents of his players.

Oliver, who played primarily as a linebacker last season, will be used more frequently as a pass rusher, and Kendal Daniels, last year’s starting middle safety, will often be used as a linebacker.

Yet both players can slide back to their original positions, too, giving the defense an amount of versatility that can’t be undervalued.

71102422007-img-3908.jpg

“We have a very athletic defense in my opinion,” Gundy said. “We can run and get to the ball. We've made a few adjustments scheme-wise, not a lot.

“I think our players will have a better feel for our system and will allow us to play faster and get to the ball.”

The defense’s back seven lost just one regular rotation player in starting linebacker Xavier Benson, so the knowledge base should be much stronger, allowing Nardo to polish the fine points of the scheme instead of teaching it.

“We gotta take a look in the mirror and see what it is for what it is — we didn’t reach our potential last year,” linebacker Nick Martin said. “We showed flashes of it, but we ultimately did not live up to my expectations or the coaches’ expectations. I think we’ve got a lot of room to grow, and I think we have.

“What we can do in terms of reaching our potential, the sky’s the limit for us.”

Nardo is at the heart of the improvement and growing confidence of his players.

“He’s the same guy, but everything that makes a coach and a man great, he’s taken up a notch,” Martin said. “I expect great things from our defense because we have such a great leader. How he’s grown in less than a year is insane.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.