ADVERTISEMENT

Honeymoon Maui or Jamaica? Where to stay?

This Jamaica slander makes me sad. Negril is one of the best places on earth. love Maui too, but Jamaica done right is something special.
It’s a beautiful island. I just had to treck 2 hours through the mountains to get to resort. Which was a little more ghetto. I was amazed at how many unfinished cement framed mansions there were.

This Jamaica slander makes me sad. Negril is one of the best places on earth. love Maui too, but Jamaica done right is something special.
you must love naked couple hot tubing....

Been to Hawaii twice, big Island(Hawaii and Maui and Jamaica twice. Would definitely take Maui over Jamaica, but had a great time in Jamaica.

Last edited:
Never been to Hawaii but did honeymoon in Jamaica quite a few years back. Really liked Couples in Ocho Rios.

It is really really great if guy just want to be taken care of and basically get rid of all the wedding stress.

Reactions: TheRCCola
you must love naked couple hot tubing....

Is this a trick question?

listen there are parts of Jamaica that are flat scary. Kind of like there are parts of any city or country that are flat scary. Negril is safe and absolutely beautiful. The people are lovely, the food is great, the beer is cheap, they have great music and they have the prettiest beaches I’ve ever seen.

Now I’ll say that if you go and just stay behind the walls of an all inclusive, you may as well go to Florida. We walk places, get into town. Eat local. You need to take precautions, like you would any unknown place, but we’ve never felt unsafe for one second.

Reactions: TPOKE
Is this a trick question?

listen there are parts of Jamaica that are flat scary. Kind of like there are parts of any city or country that are flat scary. Negril is safe and absolutely beautiful. The people are lovely, the food is great, the beer is cheap, they have great music and they have the prettiest beaches I’ve ever seen.

Now I’ll say that if you go and just stay behind the walls of an all inclusive, you may as well go to Florida. We walk places, get into town. Eat local. You need to take precautions, like you would any unknown place, but we’ve never felt unsafe for one second.
When we went for the first time in 1998 we were told to not venture out at night beyond the resort. Actually had a cool moment was seeing Johnny Cash at the golf course we were playing. I tried to hit balls in his yard so I could walk up and look for it between the fence.

Never been to Spain...or Jamaica...whatever. But, I have been to the North Shore. I totally enjoyed Hawaii. Great weather, loved the ocean, snorkeling. Wife has been multiple times, and she absolutely loves it.

I'm not sure how serious she is... but the wife says she wants us to move to Hawaii. She's a beach girl. Our son is in the 6th grade. Once he done with HS, she tells me she wants to move there...buy a little place on the beach. I think she's serious. I'm indifferent. I'm fine where I am... nice community, etc.; but I"m not necessarily opposed either.

Hawaii is definitely a different culturely. I couldn't imagine myself there in a million years growing up.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Never been to Spain...or Jamaica...whatever. But, I have been to the North Shore. I totally enjoyed Hawaii. Great weather, loved the ocean, snorkeling. Wife has been multiple times, and she absolutely loves it.

I'm not sure how serious she is... but the wife says she wants us to move to Hawaii. She's a beach girl. Our son is in the 6th grade. Once he done with HS, she tells me she wants to move there...buy a little place on the beach. I think she's serious. I'm indifferent. I'm fine where I am... nice community, etc.; but I"m not necessarily opposed either.

Hawaii is definitely a different culturely. I couldn't imagine myself there in a million years growing up.

The locals aren't crazy about haol'i moving in from out-of-state. It would be an adjustment.

Reactions: N. Pappagiorgio
Can’t speak to Jamaica or Maui but I can say the Excellence hotels in Mexico do a fantastic job. Quality experience.

Reactions: TheRCCola
The locals aren't crazy about haol'i moving in from out-of-state. It would be an adjustment.

I think that varies quite a bit based on area, island, and where you’re frequenting. Some beaches are ‘local’ beaches where caucasians can find some trouble simply by showing up and being the wrong color (white).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marocain Poke
We realized yep Maui will be too much and like everyone said pretty much twice the price. It’s down to Excellence Oyster Bay Jamaica vs LeBLanc Cabo San Lucas

We realized yep Maui will be too much and like everyone said pretty much twice the price. It’s down to Excellence Oyster Bay Jamaica vs LeBLanc Cabo San Lucas
Depends on who you want to get kidnapped by... I kid man. But sandals is pretty legit. No limits on anything. South coast was awesome because it wasn’t crowded at all. Something to think about

have you looked at resorts in Negril? I promise you do not need an all inclusive there. But there are plenty. Best beach or earth. Great snorkeling and diving.

Ocho Rios was the best spot in Jamaica when we went. Dunn’s Rivers Falls and floating the Green River through the rainforest. We went to the open air markets and it was fine. Scariest part by far was getting from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios.

Reactions: xplor58

I was thinking the same thing. You gave me a lot of good advice regarding Negril, the family and I are headed to Beaches Negril for 6 nights the last week of April. I can't wait.

Reactions: Cowguy
I was thinking the same thing. You gave me a lot of good advice regarding Negril, the family and I are headed to Beaches Negril for 6 nights the last week of April. I can't wait.
Do good research about negril on TripAdvisor. There is a negril forum that’s fantastic.

Reactions: nathajw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT