ADVERTISEMENT

Honeymoon Maui or Jamaica? Where to stay?

TheRCCola

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2004
The fiancée and I are debating to go to an All Inclusive in Jamaica or go to Maui. Any advice on where to stay in Maui? We want great pool and beach options. If we go to Jamaica it looks like it’s gonna be Excellence Oyster Bay. I prefer Maui. But my fiancée is concerned on the cost. If we do all inclusive in Jamaica all food is paid for . Versus Maui we still have to pay for our food and alcohol for a week.

Last edited:
We won’t do an all inclusive in Maui we know that. It’s between a place to stay in Maui .....vs an All Inclusive in Jamaica. I have looked at places in Wailea.

We won’t do an all inclusive in Maui we know that. It’s between a place to stay in Maui .....vs an All Inclusive in Jamaica. I have looked at places in Wailea.
I have only stayed over in that area once and it was because our flight got canceled coming home once. We usually stay in the Napili area. Look up Napili Shores by Outrigger. We have stayed there several times. Two pools and one of the best beaches in Maui. Also the breakfast place is like one of the best on the island.

Definitely Maui. Stayed in the Westin. Loved it. Great beach, new pool area, and great restaurant choices next door. In between Kapalua Golf Course, and cool little town of Lahaina.

Make sure to take a whole day doing the Road to Hana experience. One of my favorite days. Also morning sunrise on the volcano is amazing.

Been to both. Jamaica is ok if you never leave a resort or get in a vehicle. It’s straight 3rd world. Went to sandals south beach and we had to travel through mountains at 10 at night. Being in a cab there was the scariest thing I have ever done. Terrible drivers, military check points. The sandals was nice though. When we went to Maui and stayed in kapalua at kapalua villas. Was a beachfront one bedroom condo. Was awesome. Loved that area of maui. Golfed the plantation course and had a lot of good food. I prob won’t ever go back to Jamaica even though I enjoyed. I would definitely go back to Maui but the flight is a bitch

Reactions: TheRCCola
Definitely Maui. Stayed in the Westin. Loved it. Great beach, new pool area, and great restaurant choices next door. In between Kapalua Golf Course, and cool little town of Lahaina.

Make sure to take a whole day doing the Road to Hana experience. One of my favorite days. Also morning sunrise on the volcano is amazing.

I will checkout The Westin!

Been to both. Jamaica is ok if you never leave a resort or get in a vehicle. It’s straight 3rd world. Went to sandals south beach and we had to travel through mountains at 10 at night. Being in a cab there was the scariest thing I have ever done. Terrible drivers, military check points. The sandals was nice though. When we went to Maui and stayed in kapalua at kapalua villas. Was a beachfront one bedroom condo. Was awesome. Loved that area of maui. Golfed the plantation course and had a lot of good food. I prob won’t ever go back to Jamaica even though I enjoyed. I would definitely go back to Maui but the flight is a bitch
This. There is no comparison, but Maui is at least 2X the cost.

Reactions: SquinkY5786
This. There is no comparison, but Maui is at least 2X the cost.

Was coming to post the exact same thing.

Maui is probably twice as much, but probably 5 times better, maybe 10 times better.

I've been to both. Went to Maui 2 years ago and fell in love with the place. Seriously considered selling my practice, and opening one there. Only thing that stopped me was how difficult it would be to visit/be visited by friends and family.

Was coming to post the exact same thing.

Maui is probably twice as much, but probably 5 times better, maybe 10 times better.

I've been to both. Went to Maui 2 years ago and fell in love with the place. Seriously considered selling my practice, and opening one there. Only thing that stopped me was how difficult it would be to visit/be visited by friends and family.
But is island fever a thing. Not a huge island

But is island fever a thing. Not a huge island

For me, it wouldn't be so much about being stuck on an island. As things stand currently, I don't often venture outside of my 5 mile bubble unless I am going on vacation. The only negative about Maui, IMO, is that it is such a long and expensive flight to the people in the world that I enjoy seeing somewhat regularly.

For me, it wouldn't be so much about being stuck on an island. As things stand currently, I don't often venture outside of my 5 mile bubble unless I am going on vacation. The only negative about Maui, IMO, is that it is such a long and expensive flight to the people in the world that I enjoy seeing somewhat regularly.
Agree. I thought about it at one time. Told my wife we don’t need a huge house when you live in. 70 to 80 year around climate

Reactions: Been Jammin
I hated Jamaica I mean flat out hated it. I got into town one day and my cab driver took the women to a place separate for the hair braiding. (was a big deal back then) He then took me and my dad to another place because we wanted to buy up a bunch of Blue Mountain coffee. Once we got done he kept taking me to friends stores. I was forced to buy something at every one. Finally after the 3rd store I told him we would be fighting if the next place he took me to wasn't were the rest of our party was. I got to meet the president or something of the island after that then was taken to my party. Jamaica is a hell hole IMO and the beaches are ok. The amount of beauty under the water in Maui plus the on land beauty of the ancient volcano peaks covered in lush green basically coming right out the ocean in the middle of no where is just fantastic. If you go and stay in the Westin area let me know I have sail boat excursion that is out of this world and they pick up on that beach.

Since it is a honeymoon look at Mama's Fish house for dinner one night. It is high priced yes but maybe some of the best food I have ever ate. At least for the fish stuff. It is so fresh and the sunset there on that beach is out of this world.

Why did I have a kid again lol.

I hated Jamaica I mean flat out hated it. I got into town one day and my cab driver took the women to a place separate for the hair braiding. (was a big deal back then) He then took me and my dad to another place because we wanted to buy up a bunch of Blue Mountain coffee. Once we got done he kept taking me to friends stores. I was forced to buy something at every one. Finally after the 3rd store I told him we would be fighting if the next place he took me to wasn't were the rest of our party was. I got to meet the president or something of the island after that then was taken to my party. Jamaica is a hell hole IMO and the beaches are ok. The amount of beauty under the water in Maui plus the on land beauty of the ancient volcano peaks covered in lush green basically coming right out the ocean in the middle of no where is just fantastic. If you go and stay in the Westin area let me know I have sail boat excursion that is out of this world and they pick up on that beach.

Since it is a honeymoon look at Mama's Fish house for dinner one night. It is high priced yes but maybe some of the best food I have ever ate. At least for the fish stuff. It is so fresh and the sunset there on that beach is out of this world.

Why did I have a kid again lol.

I totally wanna do Maui over Jamaica! But we gotta find out if we can make it happen. Have heard of Mamas Fish House also. We are getting married in April but looking at late May/ Early June for the honeymoon.

I totally wanna do Maui over Jamaica! But we gotta find out if we can make it happen. Have heard of Mamas Fish House also. We are getting married in April but looking at late May/ Early June for the honeymoon.
Sign up for a travel credit card that has a large signing reward bonus. Might be able to get one ticket free. Avoid any Asian holidays

I thought Mama’s was really good. Very expensive though.

I strongly recommend Fleetwoods
Reserve an outdoor table.

Employee of mine is going next week. Two tests at only approved locations within 48 hrs of departure. A test upon arrival. Another test 3 days later.

• Wow
Reactions: Marocain Poke
When is the trip? COVID has made Hawaii stupid.

was looking at late May / early June. My fiancée is fully vaccinated. She works in health care. I do also but got Covid 10 days after my first shot. I am negative now and the only side effects I had were lost of taste and smell, allergy like symptoms, and small fever. So not sure if I will even be vaccinated by then since I will have anti bodies .

was looking at late May / early June. My fiancée is fully vaccinated. She works in health care. I do also but got Covid 10 days after my first shot. I am negative now and the only side effects I had were lost of taste and smell, allergy like symptoms, and small fever. So not sure if I will even be vaccinated by then since I will have anti bodies .
Right now vaccinations aren’t recognized.

Maui is my favorite place in the world. Staying in Kaanapali in NW or Waliea in SW is like two different island ...and then throw in Haleakala volcano. Definitely drive the Road to Hana and take a guide book to stop at the secret fresh water pools (most do not have any road side signs, so a guide book is a must). And drive all the way around — don’t turn around in Hana.

That said, if you do go to Jamaica. Climbing Dunn’s River Falls was one of the most fun adventures I did with the family.

Maui is my favorite place in the world. Staying in Kaanapali in NW or Waliea in SW is like two different island ...and then throw in Haleakala volcano. Definitely drive the Road to Hana and take a guide book to stop at the secret fresh water pools (most do not have any road side signs, so a guide book is a must). And drive all the way around — don’t turn around in Hana.

That said, if you do go to Jamaica. Climbing Dunn’s River Falls was one of the most fun adventures I did with the family.

Totally agree on DRF. That was a blast! Even for my wife who is not a hiking/outdoors fan.

On the fresh water pools. We found a couple of them, but were afraid to get in. It was a bit rainy that day, and we heard too many stories about flash flooding of the pools washing swimmers over the side of the cliff to their deaths.

Totally agree on DRF. That was a blast! Even for my wife who is not a hiking/outdoors fan.

On the fresh water pools. We found a couple of them, but were afraid to get in. It was a bit rainy that day, and we heard too many stories about flash flooding of the pools washing swimmers over the side of the cliff to their deaths.
Puss

Been to Maui twice. Meh! Golf was great but people all over the island were lazy. Very populated. Golfed at kapalua, grand wailea amd ka’anapoli. Stayed at Westin and ka’anapoli beach .

flight absolutely sucked and prob why i am so jaded towards maui. That and the cost. If i am going to goto some beach i dont want long ass expensive flights and traffic when i arrive.
Old lahaina luouh is a tourist trap but something you have to do. Heard good/bad on road to Hanna. Good said they bunked at some cabin midway rather than take the entire washed out rd in one sitting.

Did i mention the flight sucks.

There is a direct flight from Dallas to Maui. It’s like 8 hours. I can usually hammer out three books on a Maui vacation. Flight ain’t that bad. You know what flight sucks going from Oklahoma to Maine. I also love the time change going to HI as I am a night owl so there I am up early.

There is a direct flight from Dallas to Maui. It’s like 8 hours. I can usually hammer out three books on a Maui vacation. Flight ain’t that bad. You know what flight sucks going from Oklahoma to Maine. I also love the time change going to HI as I am a night owl so there I am up early.

Yeah, I thought the flight from D to M was fine. Took a Xanax, had a nice nap. Read part of a book. Watched a movie. Piece of cake.

Thank you all! Hoping to do Maui......Excellence Oyster Bay is our second choice in Jamaica. Like you all said ...it’s pretty much twice the cost considering you still gotta pay for food drink etc. We are buying a new house in a month and getting married in late April. Depends on how much money we have left over after all that.

Weird I like the Old Lahaina Luau. We go every 6ish years. Now this was when I went to Maui every other year.

Reactions: Marocain Poke
Weird I like the Old Lahaina Luau. We go every 6ish years. Now this was when I went to Maui every other year.
Ya, it's campy but so is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, getting lai'ed at the airport, etc. The food is good and you do learn something about the culture. Entertainment for a few hours.

Thank you all! Hoping to do Maui......Excellence Oyster Bay is our second choice in Jamaica. Like you all said ...it’s pretty much twice the cost considering you still gotta pay for food drink etc. We are buying a new house in a month and getting married in late April. Depends on how much money we have left over after all that.
Advice. Skip the wedding and save the money for honeymoon. Have a celebratory BBQ or something instead. Now pitch that to your fiancée and get beck to us.

This Jamaica slander makes me sad. Negril is one of the best places on earth. love Maui too, but Jamaica done right is something special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT