ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question...

bigjkt405

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
For those that complain about others political views (especially those on the other side of the spectrum of yours-whichever way) infringing on your rights to enjoy sports...

Why do you bring politics into every thread especially now that we have some sort of sports news to discuss daily? And will we ever get back to just talking OSU sports and some sports in general on here.

I'll take my answer off the air....

Because injecting politics into everything is for peeps with nothing better to do

For those that complain about others political views (especially those on the other side of the spectrum of yours-whichever way) infringing on your rights to enjoy sports...

Why do you bring politics into every thread especially now that we have some sort of sports news to discuss daily? And will we ever get back to just talking OSU sports and some sports in general on here.

The athletes brought the politics in to sports, not the fans. Your frustration should be at the athletes for politicizing sports, many of us are really frustrated by that and agree that is taking the fun out of sports and because of that some are no longer watching or buying tickets.

Some may not care about politics, but a majority of Americans do care and sports is no longer entertainment. Some could give 2 shits what happens during the playing of a national anthem or what is on a player's jersey, or what a player says on twitter or to a microphone, but some really do. Some just want to be entertained, and go to sports to get a respite from life. Going to make entertainment about real life shit and your own viewpoints? It ruins it for a bunch of people.

Because pandora's box has already been opened. The left took something unifying (sports) and injected politics into it. Its not realistic to expect the other side to just be silent with no response now. Thats why it was a mistake to start that crap.

The athletes brought the politics in to sports, not the fans. Your frustration should be at the athletes for politicizing sports, many of us are really frustrated by that and agree that is taking the fun out of sports and because of that some are no longer watching or buying tickets.

Some may not care about politics, but a majority of Americans do care and sports is no longer entertainment. Some could give 2 shits what happens during the playing of a national anthem or what is on a player's jersey, or what a player says on twitter or to a microphone, but some really do. Some just want to be entertained, and go to sports to get a respite from life. Going to make entertainment about real life shit and your own viewpoints? It ruins it for a bunch of people.
Agree.

So your sheep is what you’ll are saying? Just because they did it you have to do it as well, all these threads are getting exhausting with you’ll complaining all day everyday about politics. You take good threads and derail it with politics. Crap is exhausting, you complain about the younger generation but you’ll are acting like whining little girls complaining and attacking everyone who thinks differently than you.

So your sheep is what you’ll are saying? Just because they did it you have to do it as well, all these threads are getting exhausting with you’ll complaining all day everyday about politics. You take good threads and derail it with politics. Crap is exhausting, you complain about the younger generation but you’ll are acting like whining little girls complaining and attacking everyone who thinks differently than you.
Wtf are you doing in your post?

Injecting politics into something tends to solicit political responses. Are you new to this world?

Also, you are complaining and attacking in your post. This is what politics does, which is why it sports shouldn't have been used as a platform in the first place.

Sheep? Who wants to disengage from the very political conversation the athletes are intentionally starting? You. Whining? You. Disagree with a different view point? You.

This is not generational IMO, athletes of every age have engaged, some out of the game (which as retired athletes and no longer entertainers that got shoved down our throats, who cares?).

We have yet to see a college game played, and the ONLY thing that exists right now is political. The political map mirrors what each conference is doing.

LOL.

Probably right around the time when kneeling for our National Anthem become commonplace around athletes and BLM became a movement that athletes believe will actually lead to a better country and life for african-americans. That's probably about the time where I decided to bring politics into sports discussion myself.

I could've left it out but since others are going to make it a "thing" how can I not bring it up if I follow sports?

Not to the extent it is today.

The volume of politics, preaching, and spontaneous judgement today is orders of magnitude beyond anything seen in the past.

John Carlos and Tommie Smith would disagree.

Muhammad Ali would disagree.

Jesse Owens would disagree.

Hell, the ancient Olympians would disagree.

The Israeli National Olympic team in Munich would disagree.

I disagree, and I think history backs me up....but honestly....whatever...it's not worth arguing over on a message board.

Sports have always been a reflection of the society and the world we live in, and the society and the world we live in has always been political.

To a large extent. Though I recognize that "large" is a relative/subjective term.

From ancient times on.

I agree. Hitler certainly used the Olympics to push his master race and Jesse Owens destroyed his plan for all the world to see, that was a divine moment if you ask me.

You had Tommie Smith and John Carlos with the raised fists at the 1968 Olympics.

I think what makes things a little different right now, is the politics in this country has never been this polarizing within our own country for most of us as adults in this country.

Sports typically when it has gone political even when not everyone in this country could not agree, felt it was intended to unite the whole country.

My opinions and feelings is exactly that of one individual and certainly many will not share my opinions and feelings, but what is going on right now feels far different with the intention of highlighting the politics every way possible and more technology exists now to do so.

The athletes can go political, that is their right. As such, thankfully we can still engage or disengage at any level we choose. I am not going to tell anyone that they are wrong to be totally happy with what is going in sports today, so telling me my opinion and feelings on the matter is bogus? Whatever.

Look in the mirror

I disagree, and I think history backs me up....but honestly....whatever...it's not worth arguing over on a message board.

Sports have always been a reflection of the society and the world we live in, and the society and the world we live in has always been political.

You’re pointing out very well known instances over decades - actually thousands of years.

In terms of VOLUME of political rhetoric combined with social media....it’s incomparable to what we see daily in 2020. You can’t even look at a field, court, or uniform without seeing it.

Black athletes can speak up about racial injustices and the “official” BLM org can be something that not everyone is in line with. These two truths can coexist.

Because the premise of this thread is political (albeit a good topic as it relates to sports and sports discussion), I’ll throw in my two cents here: when you have a president who actively seeks division through constant “Us vs. Them” messaging, childish nicknames and general pettiness, it’s no surprise that the country feels more divided than it’s been in a while. This didn’t happen on accident.

Black athletes can speak up about racial injustices and the “official” BLM org can be something that not everyone is in line with. These two truths can coexist.

Because the premise of this thread is political (albeit a good topic as it relates to sports and sports discussion), I’ll throw in my two cents here: when you have a president who actively seeks division through constant “Us vs. Them” messaging, childish nicknames and general pettiness, it’s no surprise that the country feels more divided than it’s been in a while. This didn’t happen on accident.
Are you going to call Obama out for causing racial divides, shitting on police officers across the country on some fake news bullshit???

Mitt Romney gonna put y'all back in chains.

You cannot watch sports or listen to sports radio today without something political being discussed. There is no escape.

Agree to partly disagree.

Another awesome product of these times: a big increase in “Whataboutism.” Both sides are guilty of this, to be fair. I can’t stand Pelosi.

Your theory is that the country is divided because of Trump. On the contrary, Trump is one symptom of the division. That is not whataboutism.

Another awesome product of these times: a big increase in “Whataboutism.” Both sides are guilty of this, to be fair. I can’t stand Pelosi.
I can't stand most politicians.

That being said, Trump is controversial because he's taken stylistic cues from the Democrat playbook.

Marginalizing your opponents thru demeaning name calling has been their MO for years.

Bingo!

I can't stand most politicians.

That being said, Trump is controversial because he's taken stylistic cues from the Democrat playbook.

Marginalizing your opponents thru demeaning name calling has been their MO for years.
And talk like a 4th grader

Reactions: davidallen

While Trump certainly acts like a buffoon on a regular basis, the divisions in this country were incredibly deep before he ever even announced he was running for President.

Politics has always been in sports.

Always.
Nothing at all comparable to what we have now. Not even in the same zip code. Tebow took a knee and was derided for his beliefs. Kaepernick took a knee and wore socks with pigs on it and got a 100 million dollar contract from Nike who makes some of their shoes using, of all things, Chinese slave labor. Am I the only one who sees the despicable hypocrisy of that?

That DID NOT use to happen. The black national anthem? WTF?! They've ruined sports and they'll pay the price for it. Hell, we'll all pay the price.

8c5afd9b-02b0-4742-af6a-2efaf2f9a903_text.gif

Reactions: BiloxiPoke
So with all your points out there... it seems the answer to the second part of my question is No. {{ Basically, will we ever discuss sports topics the same or will we be able to discuss OSU sports without politics coming into every discussion}}

Reactions: Been Jammin
So with all your points out there... it seems the answer to the second part of my question is No. {{ Basically, will we ever discuss sports topics the same or will we be able to discuss OSU sports without politics coming into every discussion}}

I "think", that depends on what direction the athletes go, not certain anyone knows what the future of sports looks like.

The athletes have been asking people to get involved politically, to go vote, to be heard, to protest, etc... They need to realize that they are talking to everyone, not to just Democrats, or Independents, or unregistered, or to Republicans. By their actions and words, they are stirring the political pot for everyone to be more active, and in this country that audience is anyone who cares about politics and intends to vote.

Last edited:
I "think", that depends on what direction the athletes go, not certain anyone knows what the future of sports looks like.

The athletes have been asking people to get involved politically, to go vote, to be heard, to protest, etc... They need to realize that they are talking to everyone, not to just Democrats, or Independents, or unregistered, or to Republicans. By their actions and words, they are stirring the political pot for everyone to be more active, and in this country that audience is anyone who cares about politics and intends to vote.
Just wait til you see BLM plastered acres the field and on the uniforms.

1. More and more frequently they cross over in real life. Kneeling, WokeCenter etc. that can be ignored or addressed. Grownups should be able to address it.

2. Once politics is introduced, it can again - either be ignored and allowed to fester, or it can be addressed and pressured to roll back.

I would love to discuss sports without politics, watch movies and tv without insufferable preachy lessons and listen to music about sex, love and youthful rebellion like we used to. BUT if that Is going to be force fed to us, we not only can push back but we should.

If you are honest with yourself, this is not a two way encroachment. One ideology has looked at tradition and rejected it. That’s fine but that makes their ideas, actions and statements fair game for robust criticism.

Unfortunately many - including some people I am (evidently former) friends with IRL from this board are incapable of coping with the fact that some people look at over the top wokeness and say, ‘nope’ without that making them misogynistic nazis.

So because these young athletes want their individual voices to be heard off the field.. we as fans can't discuss the games they play for our entertainment without discussing our own political views versus their outlook.

That's my main question.

Maybe I'm biased as I've been knee deep in politics since I was 5 years old, but I can separate a person's politics from their actions and be able to discuss topics without everything resorting to libs vs conservatives or Democrat vs Republican. I'm just hoping that one day this board will get back to being able to cuss and discuss practice reports or dismissed players without devolving into the mess.

So because these young athletes want their individual voices to be heard off the field.. we as fans can't discuss the games they play for our entertainment without discussing our own political views versus their outlook.

That's my main question.

Maybe I'm biased as I've been knee deep in politics since I was 5 years old, but I can separate a person's politics from their actions and be able to discuss topics without everything resorting to libs vs conservatives or Democrat vs Republican. I'm just hoping that one day this board will get back to being able to cuss and discuss practice reports or dismissed players without devolving into the mess.

Same. I don't define people by their political stances. It is really hard for me to follow that line of thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT