ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question For Covid Experts

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
If you are in contact with someone who has Covid but their symptoms are very minor, such that they are surprised to hear they are positive, are you less likely to catch it from them? And if you do catch it from them are you likely to have mild symptoms as well?

I just got a call from a customer with whom I had contact last week telling me she discovered she had Covid, felt no worse than a bad cold, was over it in two days, didn’t know she was positive when I was around her, but thought she should tell me. I have no fear of Covid for myself, but my wife has fairly serious auto-immune disease, and at 73 years old she would be in jeopardy. I have no symptoms, but don’t know if I should be around her for a couple of weeks.

Anybody here an expert with expert advice?

If you are in contact with someone who has Covid but their symptoms are very minor, such that they are surprised to hear they are positive, are you less likely to catch it from them? And if you do catch it from them are you likely to have mild symptoms as well?

I just got a call from a customer with whom I had contact last week telling me she discovered she had Covid, felt no worse than a bad cold, was over it in two days, didn’t know she was positive when I was around her, but thought she should tell me. I have no fear of Covid for myself, but my wife has fairly serious auto-immune disease, and at 73 years old she would be in jeopardy. I have no symptoms, but don’t know if I should be around her for a couple of weeks.

Anybody here an expert with expert advice?

good questions. If there are symptoms, there is active infection, so even if mild, still infectious. There is question as to whether asymptomatic individuals are infectious (my opinion is not all testing positive have the disease, how many, I do not know). Early data and thoughts were “yes” though I wonder if that holds up. As for if the infected person has mild symptoms, what level of disease does the contact have, there is (as of now) no correlation. People seem to handle it differently.

good questions. If there are symptoms, there is active infection, so even if mild, still infectious. There is question as to whether asymptomatic individuals are infectious (my opinion is not all testing positive have the disease, how many, I do not know). Early data and thoughts were “yes” though I wonder if that holds up. As for if the infected person has mild symptoms, what level of disease does the contact have, there is (as of now) no correlation. People seem to handle it differently.
Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. My best friend of 50 years had/has very serious heart disease, had to go to the hospital where he caught Covid. Recovered from Covid fairly quickly, but gave it to his wife who seemed to be healthy as a horse and she was dead within a week.

Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. My best friend of 50 years had/has very serious heart disease, had to go to the hospital where he caught Covid. Recovered from Covid fairly quickly, but gave it to his wife who seemed to be healthy as a horse and she was dead within a week.

Damn, I am sorry to hear that.

Why has your wife not been vaccinated? She should be one of those that qualifies to receive the vaccine by now.

Why has your wife not been vaccinated? She should be one of those that qualifies to receive the vaccine by now.
I had to laugh at this. If you knew my wife you’d understand. I know of no other human being more suspicious of doctors and traditional medicine than my wife. She lacks complete trust in a vaccine that is rushed into production with the makers given immunity from responsibility if it has long term unintentional consequences. That’s just how she rolls, and I confess I roll right along with her on this.

Reactions: osuintx
I had to laugh at this. If you knew my wife you’d understand. I know of no other human being more suspicious of doctors and traditional medicine than my wife. She lacks complete trust in a vaccine that is rushed into production with the makers given immunity from responsibility if it has long term unintentional consequences. That’s just how she rolls, and I confess I roll right along with her on this.

How long term can you be worried about when you are 73? Not making fun of the age but let's be realistic the average age of death in this country is around 78.

Reactions: purkey
How long term can you be worried about when you are 73? Not making fun of the age but let's be realistic the average age of death in this country is around 78.
Damn, shatter the mood why don’t you! FWIW with the exception of her non-life-threatening auto immune disease (unless it got coupled with Covid, probably) she’s arguably the healthiest 73 year old you’d ever meet. She has taken her Covid reaction to a level far above the rest of us. Has me swallowing vitamins and ingredients I’ve never heard of. We both intend to become centenarians!

Reactions: osuintx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT