ADVERTISEMENT

Home Range

EvilPOKES

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2008
Earth
I have read in other threads before, particularly comments from @Rulz , about making/having a home range.

What are the rules surrounding building and using a home range? City Limits? Neighbor consent?

Many things I want to accomplish once the wife and I are homeowners again (she drug us from our house in Tulsa to get her PhD at Purdue and we are stuck as renters).

I would guess a realtor or realestate atty would best be able to answer this, and it may depend heavily on locale. For me, however the more isolated the better, with natural hills (places to build a range into the natural landscape), few to no homes close by, no covenants on the property that would affect this, out of city limits, may have state and county codes to deal with anyway, etc. Things you would initially guess are possibly important. If this is just for you and it's use is quite limited, I don' know if regulations would apply, but nontheless, you might want to attend to "EPA Best Management Practices for Lead at Outdoor Shooting Ranges" as you and yours would / could be affected by lead not just now but well into the future.
Not sure what all a new gun range has to go through to get permits, etc. to open, but I'm guessing it is extensive. I know texas parks and wildlife dept is encouraging range developments, but commercial, as well as shooting sports organizations/ in fact I think I hear of a grant to help do so.
In Texas, I live fairly remotely on a ranch, and I have mine set up on the back side of a very large dam, so have a big natural backstop. We don't shoot all the time though, to it's not a problem with the few neighbors we have. I get a good 100 yd shot for sighting in rifles, and shorter distances for pistol work.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilPOKES
I live on 22 acres now, with hills on both sides of an open field that are very tall, with no one behind one of them and with no close neighbors anywhere else. All this area is agricultural, and all my neighbors shoot and do whatever. As long as no one zings a 30.06 towards each other's house, we are all good out here lol.

I shoot into the one hill with no one behind it (it's all open agricultural land), and the hill is so tall I would have to aim very high up the hill to even have a chance of skipping one over into a place that I couldn't see. Plus, I'm sort of on a rise and shooting down at the base of the hill itself.

Sounds like a wonderful place to live and shoot! I'm glad for you. Other than get you a shooting rest (table/shooting chair) set up and possibly dig out an area where you are aiming so the background is verticle, not sure what else I would recommend. Sounds great to me!

Do you have to consult local authorities, warden, anything like that?

I don't think so and might not unless I knew someone in the department. Still, as a property owner, I like knowing the local game ranger and vice versa, and just having a friendly visit about what your trying to do would be a good way to get to know him/her. Also, they should know if there is anything else you need to do legally.

I spoke with the local law here in Verdigris, they know all about what I do (plus they are all heavy into 2nd amendment rights/shooting and one of them is a FB friend of mine whom I have known since I was in residency.

Claremore/Verdigris is a very conservative and nice place to live really. Most folks are either hunters, fisherman, or into many things outdoors so everyone just does their thing and as long as safety is paramount there won't be an issue.

I have lived in larger cities and travelled around the country, places like this area are the only places I would be able to live. Lots of places in Texas too. I would probably be at home in Wyoming or Montana, I like places with fewer people and more trees, mountains or hills.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT