ADVERTISEMENT

HK USC 45

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
Judging by what I have read, you either love this gun or hate it. But, I’m honestly in between...so I’m in the minority I suppose...

HK brought back the pistol caliber carbine USC 45 just recently. I happened to find one in a gun shop in Grove of all places. I wouldn’t call me an HK fanboy (some think HK is the second coming of the gun messiah lol), but I do value their engineering and polish. And I have a few HK pistols and another rifle. Anyway...

I’ve now owned this silly thing for a couple days. It wasn’t spot on out of the box, I dialed it in after a couple rounds. One gripe, HK doesn’t supply a tool for their metric Allen wrench screws like they did on the previous offering of this weapon, but I had one luckily. Needed for take down cleaning and sight adjustment. After sighting in, I was hitting 3 inch paddle targets at 50 without much trouble while standing without support. The recoil is about like a M1 carbine. The gun is very lightweight, the only thing that weighs a lot is the bolt...if you have an HK rifle, with its blow back action, you will know what I’m talking about. But the ergonomics are comfy, so for me at least, it all works.

Will I “UMP” it? I don’t know. I’ll probably buy the parts and decide when to do it later. If I do that, I’ll go the SBR route and get an 8 inch threaded barrel so I can suppress it. I don’t like that single stack 10 round mag, but I knew it was there when I bought it so that’s one me. Why not a Kriss vector? Yeah, I thought about it, and I like the odd guns, and this is a limited run for HK so I figured I would pick this up first, probably get a Vector later.

The stock...due to import silliness, this is why we have the USC and not the UMP. To get the folding stock and make it UMPish, you have to change out the trigger pack and get an adapter for the rear of the receiver.

Sounds like a bunch of silliness huh? With HK, nothing is cheap. But it all works without fail (500 rounds down the barrel, not one failure). This is a niche gun. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. It’s for guys like me that like to tinker around with stuff and spend dumb amounts of money on a hobby lol. You can go buy a HiPoint or some other pistol caliber carbine (or make one using an AR), but when you go to sell the damn thing you won’t get back what you have in it. If I ever get tired of this, I can throw it up on Armslist and have my cash back in a week to get something else.

Overall, I’d buy it again. I have quite a few 1911s and like shooting 45 ACP, so it’s all good. At the end of the day, it’s another gun that has some potential for other things, and it’s always good to bring home another gun just to piss off the wife :cool:

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
It’s one of those guns you want for no good reason. Fun to own and shoot but mostly pointless. Glad you have one

Update, I ended up getting all the parts and have now made it into an “UMP” of sorts. I had no warning about how hard the trigger group would be to disassemble, and also had no clue that buying the full auto trigger pack took an FFL/SOT (this doesn’t apply to the HK91, which I obtained without a hitch but it is legal to own since it has to be modified to fit), luckily HKparts has some stripped navy lowers that use drop in parts from the USC pack. They also sell the complete pack, but I didn’t see that until I had already had the stripped one coming in the mail. I think Adam got those in right after my purchase.

4 hours of struggling with springs and a couple of sore thumbs later, I have it all together save for the mag release. It’s the only part of the trigger group that requires a wider part since the UMP is a double stack magwell and the USC takes single stack mags. I’ve got a little fix for that using my pile of pins and other crap, so that’s no biggie.

Now it’s time to await the paperwork for the SBR part of the build. Once that’s done, I’ll have a semi auto UMP. These things are just sweet in the looks department.

You have to be really gun obsessed and tolerant of the HK way of life to do all this. When it comes to rifles, one thing I know is that there’s always another surprise that you didn’t think of when playing with the puzzle pieces in HK land....and they can be expensive surprises....YEESH.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT