ADVERTISEMENT

Heavyweight transfer

Any info on Blake Andrews?
It has been known for several months that Blake Andrews was coming from NEO and he won the Juco National championship this year along with his team-mate Jacobe Smith who is also coming. I have seen a few matches of his on you-tube and flo. He is a good solid addition but do not know if he is as good as Austin Schafer at this point and I doubt it. JMO but I think we should still be looking for someone past Schafer in the near future.

Is this the transfer wheeling mentioned after nationals? It does not seem to fit his description. If I remember correctly he said immediate AA potential and then A Anderson would take over. That makes me think of someone with only a year left, of Andrews AAs then I doubt he loses the spot.

On a related/un-related note, have we ever had a spectacular JUCO wrestler? Not very knowledgeable about past wrestlers.

Did a little looking over lunch-

Mitch Shelton (St Louis Maramec)
Tom Erickson (Triton)
Dan Niebuhr (Madison)
Joey Wildasin (Garden City-one of Coach Smiths favorites :) )
Reggie Wright
Karl Lynes
Darrell Keller

Not sure if these would all be spectacular, but were successful

Did a little looking over lunch-

Mitch Shelton (St Louis Maramec)
Tom Erickson (Triton)
Dan Niebuhr (Madison)
Joey Wildasin (Garden City-one of Coach Smiths favorites :) )
Reggie Wright
Karl Lynes
Darrell Keller

Not sure if these would all be spectacular, but were successful
John was a brand new coach, and as such would probably treat Joey Wildasin's situation a little differently today. Not that Joey was perfect, but John has culpability there as well.

I laugh every time I think of the banquet that year, when John was going through the team, and got to Joey and set something like "Joey Wildasin, who...missed the bus". It was funny at the time. I am sure you are right, most will learn through the years. My opinion is that John being so fresh from competition couldn't understand someone who needed encouragement or whatever to do what has to be done, so it was a total surprise.

I wish we could have kept him, he was a helluva wrestler!

I was one of Joey's coaches at Garden City, his roommate while at OSU, and admit I'm a little biased because we're still good friends. Joey didn't need encouragement. We'll meet up at some wrestling event sometime and I'll share some stories. It's all good now, but there's always two sides to a coin.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT