ADVERTISEMENT

Great New Record from X

John Doe has been putting out some strong solo work in the Americana vein. I didn’t love X, but I appreciated them. I was given a homemade tape of Los Angeles by a girl in college and that’s really as far as I go with them. Maybe need to give them another shot.

Little trivia I heard on a podcast. Dave Alvin was once briefly a part of X.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Try the 4 episode documentary "Punk" on amazon prime. I don't recall "X" being mentioned, but plenty of other LA based bands from that era.

John Doe has been putting out some strong solo work in the Americana vein. I didn’t love X, but I appreciated them. I was given a homemade tape of Los Angeles by a girl in college and that’s really as far as I go with them. Maybe need to give them another shot.

Little trivia I heard on a podcast. Dave Alvin was once briefly a part of X.

Kinda.

Dave Alvin joined DJ Bonebrake, Doe, and Exene (all from X) and stand up bassist Johnny Bartel toform a side group called the Knitter....alt-country, rockabilly, and folk.

When I was a senior in high school I got to 'interview' the author of Dances with Wolves, Michael Blake, because he was in OKC for some reason I forget. All he did was talk about when he lived in LA and hung out with the band X a lot.

Last edited:
Kinda.

Dave Alvin joined DJ Bonebrake, Doe, and Exene (all from X) and stand up bassist Johnny Bartel toform a side group called the Knitter....alt-country, rockabilly, and folk.

just telling you what the podcast said. Here’s what Wikipedia says.

With X and the KnittersEdit
Alvin served a brief stint as the lead guitarist of the Los Angeles–based alternative rock band X. He left X in 1987 to work on a solo project after the group recorded their album See How We Are.

Alvin was also a member of the country-folk band The Knitters, an offshoot of X. He appeared on their 1985 album Poor Little Critter on the Road and their 2005 follow-up, The Modern Sounds of the Knitters.[1]

Reactions: CowboyJD
Speaking of Dave Alvin, he has an album that came out maybe 10 years ago called Eleven Eleven that I love.

The Blasters have opened for X quite a few times in recent years.

Reactions: Cowguy
just telling you what the podcast said. Here’s what Wikipedia says.

With X and the KnittersEdit
Alvin served a brief stint as the lead guitarist of the Los Angeles–based alternative rock band X. He left X in 1987 to work on a solo project after the group recorded their album See How We Are.

Alvin was also a member of the country-folk band The Knitters, an offshoot of X. He appeared on their 1985 album Poor Little Critter on the Road and their 2005 follow-up, The Modern Sounds of the Knitters.[1]
So it was after the Knitters.

Huh.

Did not know that. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Reactions: Cowguy
So it was after the Knitters.

Huh.

Did not know that. Learn something new every day, I guess.

I didn’t know either. I can’t remember the podcast. Maybe walkin’ the floor?

If you want something kind of different, Dave and his brother Phil did an album called common ground. It’s all big Bill Broonzy songs.

Dave is a very underrated guitar player.

Reactions: CowboyJD
I didn’t know either. I can’t remember the podcast. Maybe walkin’ the floor?

If you want something kind of different, Dave and his brother Phil did an album called common ground. It’s all big Bill Broonzy songs.

Dave is a very underrated guitar player.
Phil appears on at least one song on Eleven Eleven.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT