ADVERTISEMENT

Grand Canyon

Chillwell

Heisman Winner
Jun 16, 2001
The wife, son and I are planning on visiting this fall. We've never been.

It'll be a short trip. We only have about four days. A friend I work with said you only need a max of two days at the Grand Canyon and suggested we split our time between GC & Sedona.

Good advice? Bad advice? Any suggestions from you veterans?

It'll be a short trip. We only have about four days. A friend I work with said you only need a max of two days at the Grand Canyon and suggested we split our time between GC & Sedona.

sedona a must see. good advice.

Hiking down into the canyon is fun. Hiking out isn’t.

Forgot to add that we stayed the night in Tusayan this spring at the Best Western. Around $300 for the night. It mostly sucked. Window didn’t lock, coffee maker non functioning, heater didn’t work. We had dinner at the Yippee I O steakhouse. Not sure if it sucked more or less than our motel room. Too close to call. Service was fine but the steak sucked. Couldn’t wait to just leave.

If I had it to do over, I would just stay at one of the nice lodges in the park and wake up to a nice view. But we really didn’t have that option as it was a last minute trip and rooms fill up way in advance. You’re doing it right. Plan ahead.

Reactions: Chillwell
Forgot to add that we stayed the night in Tusayan this spring at the Best Western. Around $300 for the night. It mostly sucked. Window didn’t lock, coffee maker non functioning, heater didn’t work. We had dinner at the Yippee I O steakhouse. Not sure if it sucked more or less than our motel room. Too close to call. Service was fine but the steak sucked. Couldn’t wait to just leave.

If I had it to do over, I would just stay at one of the nice lodges in the park and wake up to a nice view. But we really didn’t have that option as it was a last minute trip and rooms fill up way in advance. You’re doing it right. Plan ahead.
This guy, follow his advice and go to Sedona for a day.

Go to Sedona. And also to Jerome. Two great towns.

If you have the energy. Hike to bottom of canyon. I did that with the founder of gopokes.com 20 years ago. Great experience.

You’ve gotten some great advice, the only thing I’ll add is you can get a very reasonable air bnb, in or around flagstaff, and that’s just a little more than an hour to the canyon, Jerome, Sedona, Payson. I realize flagstaff isn’t very sexy, but it gets really expensive to stay anywhere cool (temperature and interest wise) in the summer.

They have mules available to ride down to the river and back. Anybody ever do that?

sedona a must see. good advice.
There are some very easy hikes in Sedona that include some small ruins of indigenous dwellings. Very simple, just rocks or bricks stacked up around indentations in rock formations. Not spectacular, but still cool. Can’t remember specifics, it’s been over 20 years. But worthwhile if you have the time.

Reactions: Chillwell

My favorite part of the country. The entire state is gorgeous and other worldly but the canyon itself is beyond description and photos never truly capture the immensity of it.

My advice - just soak it in. It’s beautiful and humbling. You’ll never feel like you saw the whole thing or spent too much time looking at it.

How old is the boy?

Liked the North Rim better than the South (been to both). As previously posted North not as crowded...also not as commercialized. Experience is not recent though. Have fun.

I recommend Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, located just northeast of Flagstaff. Really cool group of cinder cones including one that you can hike up.

I've hiked from the South Rim to the North Rim (21 miles) and spent the night and next day there....the little log cabins are great to stay in and the lodge is right on the edge of the canyon. We hiked back to the South Rim (23 miles) on the third day. It was hard but an amazing experience... Next I would like to hike down into the canyon and stay there for a few days.... Extraordinary place to hike around in.....

Reactions: wyomingosualum
OptimisticMadHeron-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: wyomingosualum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT