ADVERTISEMENT

Got HBO Now....What series to begin?

CBradSmith

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2005
3 episodes into Rome. I like it quite a bit so far. Worth the rest of the watch?

What other suggestions? I'm fully caught up on GOT.

All of these I've added to my list. Will be re-watching John Adams, Band of Brothers, and most of The Sopranos. But it's been long enough, they'll mostly be new. I need to look at Carnivale.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
As I recall, I LOVED John Adam's and Band of Brothers.

HBO just puts out good stuff. "Girls" aside. Blech

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I've been an HBO regular since a teen so I had to go to Wiki for help remembering all of them. I've watched every episode of the following at least once and would put them in this order:

The Sopranos (GOAT)
The Wire
Band of Brothers
Rome (got cancelled because it was so expensive to make but awesome)
True Detective (1st season only)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Boardwalk Empire
Generation Kill
Eastbound & Down
Dream On (I doubt it's on HBO now cause it's not on GO)
Silicon Valley (current program. Guillfoyle and Ganesh's interaction is gold)
Entourage
The Pacific
Da Ali G Show
Lucky Louie
Olive Kitteridge
The Brink (current program)
Flight of the Conchords
John Adams
Hard Knocks (watch going forward, no reason to watch the older stuff)
Hello Ladies (got cancelled but they ended it with a movie)
Girls (current program)
Deadwood (I enjoyed but never got the infatuation some had for it)
Show Me a Hero
Bored to Death (got cancelled but I liked it)
House of Saddam
Ballers (current program; pretty lame and will probably bail on it soon)

I bailed on the Leftovers, Big Love, Veep, Newsroom, and Six Feet Under while watching them. They just weren't for me. I've never started Treme since it got cancelled but my wife loved it, she's also from Southern LA though.

John from Cincinnati might be the worst show of all-time. The Jinx is on my documentary "to watch list" after I finish Making a Murderer on Netflix.

Last edited:
Besides what most everyone else has said Veep is a must. I don't think there is a current show that makes me laugh as much.

Leftovers is hit or miss. The second season was a ton better than the first but you'll either love it or hate it.

I also loved Show Me a Hero. Sounds like the most boring thing ever but it was great.

Also watch Vice if you are into that sort of thing.

Great call, completely forgot about Vice. They do fantastic work and are also worth following their Youtube Channel. They're constantly putting out docs that aren't on their show

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Extras is funny show. The episodes with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen have some really funny scenes.

I've been an HBO regular since a teen so I had to go to Wiki for help remembering all of them. I've watched every episode of the following at least once and would put them in this order:

The Sopranos (GOAT)
The Wire
Band of Brothers
Rome (got cancelled because it was so expensive to make but awesome)
True Detective (1st season only)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Boardwalk Empire
Generation Kill
Eastbound & Down
Dream On (I doubt it's on HBO now cause it's not on GO)
Silicon Valley (current program. Guillfoyle and Ganesh's interaction is gold)
Entourage
The Pacific
Da Ali G Show
Lucky Louie
Olive Kitteridge
The Brink (current program)
Flight of the Conchords
John Adams
Hard Knocks (watch going forward, no reason to watch the older stuff)
Hello Ladies (got cancelled but they ended it with a movie)
Girls (current program)
Deadwood (I enjoyed but never got the infatuation some had for it)
Show Me a Hero
Bored to Death (got cancelled but I liked it)
House of Saddam
Ballers (current program; pretty lame and will probably bail on it soon)

I bailed on the Leftovers, Big Love, Veep, Newsroom, and Six Feet Under while watching them. They just weren't for me. I've never started Treme since it got cancelled but my wife loved it, she's also from Southern LA though.

John from Cincinnati might be the worst show of all-time. The Jinx is on my documentary "to watch list" after I finish Making a Murderer on Netflix.
Darn good list, but I'd have to have Six Feet Under in the top 10, and bump Hello Ladies about 10 spots. True Detective season one goes to the top for me.

Haha I think I'm the only person in the world that was pissed when they cancelled that show. No closure. I actually liked it.

Haha I think I'm the only person in the world that was pissed when they cancelled that show. No closure. I actually liked it.

Not sure I liked it but I was pissed because I wanted to know WTF was going on? Weirdest show ever. I watched a season and have no clue what it was about.

"Just a word of warning. It starts out exceptionally strong, but fizzles at the end. (JMO)"

23260590.jpg

Besides what most everyone else has said Veep is a must. I don't think there is a current show that makes me laugh as much.

Leftovers is hit or miss. The second season was a ton better than the first but you'll either love it or hate it.

I also loved Show Me a Hero. Sounds like the most boring thing ever but it was great.
Veep is my favorite comedy on tv. Fantastic cast.

The best are the big drama series:
Sopranos
Wire
Rome
Deadwood
Six Feet Under
Big Love
Boardwalk Empire

One shot mini series which are great:
Pacific
Bank of Brothers
John Adams