ADVERTISEMENT

Going to Boston in July....

blbronco

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2002
So, i have never been there before. I am going for a conference, but am goimg to do some sight-seeing while there. Old
Ironsides. What else is a must see or must do for those of you that are more well-traveled than myself? I am planning on checking out a fee dive shops or even fishing on cape cod. I hope to have time for some whale watching.

I have been thinking about attending the same conference. Maybe a 25% chance it works out. If so, I will let you know and we can have lunch again.

1. Taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway should be on every man's bucket list.

2. If you're going to be there on the 4th. Boston has an awesome Independence Day Celebration on the Charles River with the Boston Pops. I'm not usually in to that kind of thing, but it's freaking epic.

3. If you like historical reenactment theme parky stuff, Old Sturbridge Villiage used to be pretty awesome. It's about an hour west of Boston though.

4. Boston area has tons of interesting restaurants from the touristy places like Durgin Park to great food on the North End. There's a robust business in food/beer tasting tours in town that you might look into.

5. Boston has very good museums if you're into that kind of thing.

6. The Freedom Trail is more touristy than historically interesting IMHO, but you'll see a lot of stuff on the way. I'd check the route out online and see if it floats your boat.

7. The Springfield/Agawam area (even further west, but MA is a dinky state if you have a car) has the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Springfield Armory (weapons museum). Smith and Wesson is there too if they still offer tours under MA Jackbooted climate.

8. Providencetown (Cape) is a really pretty place since you said you might head to the cape. Check ahead because drag queens tend to take over some times during the summer and head somewhere else like Nantucket, Falmouth, Hyannis, or Martha's Vineyard.

Been a while since I lived there, so I'll have to think of other suggestions I'd have.

Don't forget the Bull and Finch (Cheers). Lots of fun, if you liked the show.

Highly recommend the Cape, if you have time. We stayed in Yarmouth.
This post was edited on 3/31 2:18 PM by SKC

Been, absolutely let me know if you are going.i am going because i bitch enough about the AVMA, so i want to see what their conference has to offer. They seemingly have some excellent lectures (and many over-reacting....like Ebola in dogs. My boss won't let me go to that series for fear of getting thrown out ). I am staying at the Revere.

PDT, thank you for the suggestions! I will be there the 9ty through the 14th. The sox play the yankees while i am there, so tickets will be hard to come by. I am marries, but my wife cannot make it, so i won't be doing anything overly hair-raising. Some of the museums look good.

SKC...i am hoping to make it there. I loved the show.

Oh yea...the Beach Boys are also playing there....so i will go to that

Originally posted by blbronco:

SKC...i am hoping to make it there. I loved the show.
Downstairs in the restaurant, it doesn't look anything like you'd expect (just a normal restaurant/bar), but everything on the menu, etc, is Cheers related. Upstairs near the gift shop they have a full-sized replica of the bar from the show that you can sit at. Worth the time. Parking can be difficult at times, though.

I'm in Boston now.

Do yourself a favor and get a room at the Parker House downtown. Right in the heart of the action and great hotel.

I went by Cheers and it wasn't really anything worth writing home about, IMO. Much more enjoyed the old pubs like Bell in Hand Tavern.

Do check out a Red Sox game but don't waste your time on a Fenway tour if they're on the road. Waste of $18, IMO.

Great town though. Personally enjoyed the Freedom Trail today.

I personality liked the freedom trail as it does take you around to a lot of places. You can walk it at your own pace via a self guided tour or just do part of it add time dllows. Also liked old iron sides as well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Another must see for a first time visit to Boston.

https://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/

13649878-960x1000.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT