ADVERTISEMENT

Gfeller and Smith

DEWrestlingFan

Commitment
Aug 31, 2005
Are they not wrestling because they can not make weight or is there more to it? To have two wrestlers with the talent they have not wrestling is a shame.

Are they not wrestling because they can not make weight or is there more to it? To have two wrestlers with the talent they have not wrestling is a shame.

G got injured in practice about a week ago and Joe is on the decent plan which he has to follow. I think it’s just a matter of days with him.

G should also be close as he has returned to practice.

Reactions: osuind
G got injured in practice about a week ago and Joe is on the decent plan which he has to follow. I think it’s just a matter of days with him.

G should also be close as he has returned to practice.
Joe was able to be down for this dual according to his Lehigh weight his date was Dec 13.John said in a interview he would be able to be down for the next dual which was this dual.Imagine he weighed in at 180 today which would mean he can be 174 for scuffle

Last edited:
I talked to a wrestling parent Thursday, they said Joe is rarely even at practice.

I talked to a wrestling parent Thursday, they said Joe is rarely even at practice.

Why would that be Injury? isn't it mandatory for Scholarship athletes to attend practice or have a real good reason why they are not?, besides letting down the team as you can't improve by not practicing. Maybe just apply for a 6th year? Maybe Smith, Gfeller and Brock just should apply for a 6th year, even if they wrestled at Southern Scuffle they are Starting behind, others are in mid season form, by NCAA they will only be in midseason form if they start now, Conditioning is REALLY IMPORTANT in Wrestling, A lot more so than most sports Basketball, Football etc.

Unless he is injured I just can’t see this being true. Now the staff may have him working with the S&C group as punishment but John Smith hasn’t given any indication during his career or by his principles that he is one who would allow a wrestler to just “miss” practice regardless of their last name.

There was some talk that G & Joe might be a go for Bedlam, but Chris Perry implied on last week's coach's show that we would not see them until January. He didn't say why.

John was on the Roundup last week, starts at the 16:30 mark. He said he can't put his best lineup out right now because of injury, illness, weight & some knuckleheads, without giving specifics obviously. Said the lineup will change by mid January.

Unless he is injured I just can’t see this being true. Now the staff may have him working with the S&C group as punishment but John Smith hasn’t given any indication during his career or by his principles that he is one who would allow a wrestler to just “miss” practice regardless of their last name.
I've known 2 sets of parents that have kids wrestle at OSU while Joe has. I don't think there's any doubt that Joe's rules are different than everybody else's. Not that big a deal, it would be hard to coach your son at any level.

I've known 2 sets of parents that have kids wrestle at OSU while Joe has. I don't think there's any doubt that Joe's rules are different than everybody else's. Not that big a deal, it would be hard to coach your son at any level.

If true he would be hurting himself and hurting the team, my guess is injury or illness.

Would hate for that to be true. He has been injured off and on his whole career so I would hope those stories and observations are when he has been coming back from injury.

If true, and you are just relaying info so not jumping on you, but it would say more about that dad than the son and would fly in the face of a lot of what John preaches and lives. There is no question Joe has had attitude and motivation issues but blatantly missing practices when healthy and the staff allowing it without consequences would be pretty terrible.

Would hate for that to be true. He has been injured off and on his whole career so I would hope those stories and observations are when he has been coming back from injury.

If true, and you are just relaying info so not jumping on you, but it would say more about that dad than the son and would fly in the face of a lot of what John preaches and lives. There is no question Joe has had attitude and motivation issues but blatantly missing practices when healthy and the staff allowing it without consequences would be pretty terrible.
Both G and Joe weighed in and Gfeller did make weight. Joe did not but I believe he will be down to weight for the Scuffle.
I agree with osu2082 that John would not violate his principles to let Joe get away with purposely missing practices. I also believe that Joe may have motivational issues or call it "burn out" but believe he has suffered injuries throughout his career which has made it hard to keep his weight down. There is an element that believe Joe has been shown favoritism by the staff. If Joe is perfect and has not made any mistakes then he is the first college student in history that has not. He is under a microscope due to his being the son of the coach and just being a "Smith". I hope Joe makes weight for the scuffle and finishes out his career proudly regardless of where he places or not. I will be cheering for him to do this and I feel that John will make the right decisions regarding this.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Streck is in Stillwater and around the team. I wonder if there is any chance he could still wrestle second semester?

Reactions: driad
Streck is in Stillwater and around the team. I wonder if there is any chance he could still wrestle second semester?

I think that’s the hope. I would imagine Geer will get the opportunity to decide where he wants to go second semester.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Is streck the Purdue heavyweight?

Yes but currently resides in Stillwater and is working and wrestling with the Cowboy RTC waiting to be cleared for admission and enrollment to OSU.

Was 30-15 as a RSFR and was a R16 guy at the NCAA tournament. Was 12-3 in his RS year. Big kid with some upside.

Both G and Joe weighed in and Gfeller did make weight. Joe did not but I believe he will be down to weight for the Scuffle.

LETS GO POKES!!!
If Joe couldn't make 174 for Bedlam highly doubt you'll see him at 174 for Scuffle. Why would you want to wrestle a multiple match tournament first time down to weight vs a relatively easy dual match?

Reactions: oberebo

yeah you nailed this. If any of this is true, it will be very hard for John to hold the program together.

It might be a smart move to not wrestle G because of an injury with Hone wrestling 41 until Kaid can take over. Then G could get a 6th year which could help us get 35 in a few years.

To get that sixth you have to miss significant portions of two seasons with injury. Don’t see a sixth year on his future - without some additional injury

To get that sixth you have to miss significant portions of two seasons with injury. Don’t see a sixth year on his future - without some additional injury
That’s the rule technically but the NCAA hands them OU like candy nowadays. Kemerer only missed one season and got a 6th year unless I’m remembering wrong.

If Joe couldn't make 174 for Bedlam highly doubt you'll see him at 174 for Scuffle. Why would you want to wrestle a multiple match tournament first time down to weight vs a relatively easy dual match?

Wasn't his first matches last year wrestled at the Scuffle?

Also, early in the season it was reported somewhere (I thought this board?) that G had some academic issues. Spoken from a person who is unfortunately very familiar with academic probation and suspension, the only academic thing that makes you miss competition is being ineligible. Oddly enough, here we are and they haven't competed in any opens or matches. I don't think Joe is academically ineligible because he actually weighed in and was on the sideline which you can't do if you're ineligible. But G was in the stands, which makes me more suspicious. I guess if we find that his first event is at the first of the year then that might lend more credence to his grades being the issue.

That’s the rule technically but the NCAA hands them OU like candy nowadays. Kemerer only missed one season and got a 6th year unless I’m remembering wrong.

Kemerer was also injured for at least part of 2018. I don't think he missed a lot of time, but he took a mff at Big10s and then injury defaulted at nationals.

Kemerer was also injured for at least part of 2018. I don't think he missed a lot of time, but he took a mff at Big10s and then injury defaulted at nationals.

It's late at night and I'm exhausted, but are you talking about Michael Kemerer? If so, he did not MFF at B1G's. He made the semi's and got pinned by Micah Jordan. Then dropped to the consi-semis and injury defaulted.

At NCAA's, he lost to Nolf in the quarters and then wrestled back to the 3rd/4th place match against Berger. He actually was wrestling the match before getting injured and having the inj. def. that match about 2 minutes into and finished 4th. He didn't miss hardly any time in 2018 as his record was 27-3. This was after going 33-3 as a freshman. He did MFF one match during the season, it was the last dual before B1G's in a match against Andrew Crone. I think that is what had him beat up and I assume it got aggrivated at B1G's and then obviously was hurt in the match at NCAA's for 3rd against Berger.

I remember this because...1. As an Ohio State fan (don't shoot me), Jordan pinned him at B1G's and the place went freaking nuts...and 2. That was the year Nolf hurt his knee and MFF/Inj. def. at B1G's and both Kemerer and Nolf didn't wrestle their 5th place match against each other and had to stand on the same podium step at the awards. Quite comical actually...was great being their to watch it live at MSU.

Also, in response to the other poster that said Kemerer got a 6th year after missing one year....I'm don't think Kemerer has gotten a 6th year yet. He has only missed one season....took a RS as a freshman, finished 3rd as an RS freshman, 4th as a sophomore and then was injured last year. While this is technically his 5th year, unless I've missed it, I'm not sure they have applied for a 6th year yet. Thought that had to happen later this year if possible.

Considering the NCAA has been very lax on these (rightfully so IMO), I wouldn't be surprised if he got it but also not surprised if he doesn't as he only missed on year for injury and also took a RS.

Sorry, for the long explanation...it's late, I'm tired but can't stop reading about wrestling at the moment.

Side note: In our last podcast, I put it out that I think Boo would be my favorite right now to win 149, IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. Love that kid. So good when he is healthy. His win against Brayton Lee was really impressive.

Beans & Cornbread Cowboys!
Brandon - The Inside Trip Wrestling Podcast

It's late at night and I'm exhausted, but are you talking about Michael Kemerer? If so, he did not MFF at B1G's. He made the semi's and got pinned by Micah Jordan. Then dropped to the consi-semis and injury defaulted.

At NCAA's, he lost to Nolf in the quarters and then wrestled back to the 3rd/4th place match against Berger. He actually was wrestling the match before getting injured and having the inj. def. that match about 2 minutes into and finished 4th. He didn't miss hardly any time in 2018 as his record was 27-3. This was after going 33-3 as a freshman. He did MFF one match during the season, it was the last dual before B1G's in a match against Andrew Crone. I think that is what had him beat up and I assume it got aggrivated at B1G's and then obviously was hurt in the match at NCAA's for 3rd against Berger.

I remember this because...1. As an Ohio State fan (don't shoot me), Jordan pinned him at B1G's and the place went freaking nuts...and 2. That was the year Nolf hurt his knee and MFF/Inj. def. at B1G's and both Kemerer and Nolf didn't wrestle their 5th place match against each other and had to stand on the same podium step at the awards. Quite comical actually...was great being their to watch it live at MSU.

Also, in response to the other poster that said Kemerer got a 6th year after missing one year....I'm don't think Kemerer has gotten a 6th year yet. He has only missed one season....took a RS as a freshman, finished 3rd as an RS freshman, 4th as a sophomore and then was injured last year. While this is technically his 5th year, unless I've missed it, I'm not sure they have applied for a 6th year yet. Thought that had to happen later this year if possible.

Considering the NCAA has been very lax on these (rightfully so IMO), I wouldn't be surprised if he got it but also not surprised if he doesn't as he only missed on year for injury and also took a RS.

Sorry, for the long explanation...it's late, I'm tired but can't stop reading about wrestling at the moment.

Side note: In our last podcast, I put it out that I think Boo would be my favorite right now to win 149, IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. Love that kid. So good when he is healthy. His win against Brayton Lee was really impressive.

Beans & Cornbread Cowboys!
Brandon - The Inside Trip Wrestling Podcast

Good post...

Yes, I was talking about Iowa's Kemerer. I pretty much agree with everything you said, except I thought he MFF'd out of Big10s after getting pinned by Jordan in the semis. I could definitely be wrong though and it might have been an injury default.

Boo is a great guy. John often mentions his talent, hard work & toughness.

Reactions: oberebo and osu2082
No, Reno but he was still gassing early Jan (Princeton, Rutgers)) while wrestling 174 but weighing in light beginning drop to 165.

He looked fantastic 10 days later at the Scuffle wrestling up at 174 and still in flux about cutting down to 165 due to Preston’s injury.

This is not true. What you are stating was correct, however, the rule changed in the 2018 rule book. 12.8 outlines the 5 yr rule exceptions which covers the requirement for a hardship waivers for both a redshirted and non redshirted athlete. If you redshirted, the loss of any of the other 4 years qualifies you for a potential waiver. Kemerer will get a 6th year because by rule he qualifies. You have to meet the loss of season requirements which off the top of my head are no more than 30% of the dates and no compete past the season mid point. That may be why Smith is saying if G does not compete by the scuffle, he is out. Sounds like he is planning on a hardship waiver if he is unable to go and any competition post scuffle would disqualify him.

So after the break possibly?

Kaid at 33 or 41
Gfeller at 41
Joe at 74
Geer at 84
Streck at 285

Who is 97 is Geer goes down?
How much eligibility does Streck have? That would be huge for next year, and the next, if he develops. Have to get him cleared first.

Any Marsden sightings? he has some eligibility left, his brother is at NDSU now so I don’t know if that changes things.

Kaid at 33 or 41
Gfeller at 41
Joe at 74
Geer at 84
Streck at 285

How much eligibility does Streck have? That would be huge for next year, and the next, if he develops. Have to get him cleared first.
My prediction is Gfeller is out for year, they keep Witcraft at 133 and Kaid comes back at 141.

I have no idea how this stuff works but if G could actually get this year back this injury might end up being a good thing for our title chances down the road.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT

Kaid at 33 or 41
Gfeller at 41
Joe at 74
Geer at 84
Streck at 285

Maybe Shomers challenging for 157 also.

Assuming that G makes it back and is healthy I assume he would wrestle 141 and is a very likely AA. With G back if Kaid could not make 133 I would think it best he gets completely well and gets a medical hardship rule. If he can make 133 that would be great and we have a reasonably competitive team. Hopefully finishing in the top eight this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT