ADVERTISEMENT

George Will

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
Was anti-Trump because Trump is not a conservative. That pissed off a whole conglomerate of Trumistas on this board. But Will is a conservative first, last and always, and does not deviate ftom his conservative principles on behalf of partisan politics. When it cones to economics George Will says it best.

Was anti-Trump because Trump is not a conservative. That pissed off a whole conglomerate of Trumistas on this board. But Will is a conservative first, last and always, and does not deviate ftom his conservative principles on behalf of partisan politics. When it cones to economics George Will says it best.

I'd argue he was anti-Trump to maintain his lifestyle and acceptance in a media community that has repeatedly demonstrated animosity and contempt for anyone who wasn't anti-Trump. How long would he have remained writing for WaPo and therefor relevant, if he espoused pro-Trump views? Can you name a pro-Trump writer that WaPo regularly publishes?

I'd argue he was anti-Trump to maintain his lifestyle and acceptance in a media community that has repeatedly demonstrated animosity and contempt for anyone who wasn't anti-Trump. How long would he have remained writing for WaPo and therefor relevant, if he espoused pro-Trump views? Can you name a pro-Trump writer that WaPo regularly publishes?
Unfortunately I can’t name a single WaPo writer of any political persuasion. At his age and with his bonafides I don’t think George Will is too concerned about acceptance by the media community, I doubt that he has ever been concerned about it. He is anti-Trump out of sheer conservative conviction. He is a principled conservative that recognizes that Trump’s MAGA agenda spits in the eye of conservatism. It is interesting to me that the arguments on this board that have been made against him have all been ad hominem; not a single comment of substance. And that’s the main problem I see with too many MAGA acolytes, the utter loyalty to the man with little to no understanding of what he advocates other than he hates and is hated by the left. That’s enough for them, but it should not be.

If George Will were as vocal against Biden as he was Trump he might could be taken seriously. He is as big a swamp rat as the rest of them in Washington.
That's incorrect. As soon as anybody makes any critique of him, Donald Trump turns his mob against whatever person made comment and the mob just carries out his bidding. This happened to George Will. George Will is at an advanced age and doesn't need to profit off Trumpism and doesn't care what the mob says. I have disagreed with George Will plenty of times but he's in a position not to whore himself out for Trump.

That's incorrect. As soon as anybody makes any critique of him, Donald Trump turns his mob against whatever person made comment and the mob just carries out his bidding. This happened to George Will. George Will is at an advanced age and doesn't need to profit off Trumpism and doesn't care what the mob says. I have disagreed with George Will plenty of times but he's in a position not to whore himself out for Trump.
If as was said earlier George Will is such a great conservative, where is his voice now that Biden is clearly taking a hard left direction? I learned a long time ago to stop listening to what those in Washington say, instead I watch their actions. Their actions do not lie but their words do.

If as was said earlier George Will is such a great conservative, where is his voice now that Biden is clearly taking a hard left direction? I learned a long time ago to stop listening to what those in Washington say, instead I watch their actions. Their actions do not lie but their words do.
He has been writing books. I think he may have decided that at his age he is better served in writing about the preservation of conservative principles than blathering about the day-to-day debaucheries of politicians. But that’s nothing more than speculation on my part. I don’t read the Washington Post so I don’t know what he writes about there.

I have observed that not a single comment from Trump supporters has been about the attached link, the actual thing he said, but have been aimed at him personally. I doubt that any of them even read the quote. That’s probably my fault. I introduced the thread by negatively referencing “Trumpistas.” It would only be natural for them to become defensive and strike out. But the harsh comments should have been aimed at me; the attached quote is not about Trump,

Here’s another George Will quote. It isn’t about Trump either. And I doubt a single Trump supporter would disagree with what he wrote.

Here’s another George Will quote. It isn’t about Trump either. And I doubt a single Trump supporter would disagree with what he wrote.

Talks the talk, but sided with Hillary when it came time to walk the walk.

I have observed that not a single comment from Trump supporters has been about the attached link, the actual thing he said, but have been aimed at him personally. I doubt that any of them even read the quote.
I read the quote. I don’t care what George Will says, because he proved to me what he is: an east coast Ivy League snob. (Even if he is from Illinois).

my god

you are piss ignorant with tds

may chuk todd protect you

He has been writing books. I think he may have decided that at his age he is better served in writing about the preservation of conservative principles than blathering about the day-to-day debaucheries of politicians. But that’s nothing more than speculation on my part. I don’t read the Washington Post so I don’t know what he writes about there.

I have observed that not a single comment from Trump supporters has been about the attached link, the actual thing he said, but have been aimed at him personally. I doubt that any of them even read the quote. That’s probably my fault. I introduced the thread by negatively referencing “Trumpistas.” It would only be natural for them to become defensive and strike out. But the harsh comments should have been aimed at me; the attached quote is not about Trump,

George Will is no Thomas Sowell.

George Will is no Thomas Sowell.
That’s for damned sure. As a libertarian I have had many differences with George Will, who is a conservative, but I have utmost respect for the man for standing on his principles through thick and thin.

Talks the talk, but sided with Hillary when it came time to walk the walk.
The man was hardly their “bitch.” He more than held his own even at 3 to 1. What he did was stay on point, discuss substance, and did not argue ad hominem or insult personality, he frequently schooled them on their mistakes. That’s why people like me tuned in to watch. In short he was the polar opposite of DJT when debating people with whom he disagreed.

I admit his “endorsement” of Hillary is a head scratcher. I never read what he actually said. The only explanation of which I can conceive is he felt Trump’s MAGA agenda would do far more long term damage to conservatism as people would equate MAGA’s mercantilism/soft fascism to conservatism while they would know that Hillary’s policies would be completely contrary, and would actually strengthen what they thought conservatism really is.

The man was hardly their “bitch.” He more than held his own even at 3 to 1. What he did was stay on point, discuss substance, and did not argue ad hominem or insult personality, he frequently schooled them on their mistakes. That’s why people like me tuned in to watch. In short he was the polar opposite of DJT when debating people with whom he disagreed.

I admit his “endorsement” of Hillary is a head scratcher. I never read what he actually said. The only explanation of which I can conceive is he felt Trump’s MAGA agenda would do far more long term damage to conservatism as people would equate MAGA’s mercantilism/soft fascism to conservatism while they would know that Hillary’s policies would be completely contrary, and would actually strengthen what they thought conservatism really is.
Not a head scratcher for me. Will clearly valued his “liberal friends” more than he valued people who would actually fight for the principles he purportedly believed in.

He should have supported Trump for the same reasons we supported McLame and Mittens — because the other side is a complete abomination.

George Will endorsed both Hillary and Biden. Making matters worse for Will and your support for him being a conservative, he wrote a column that said people should vote for Democrats in both the House and the Senate. No conservative would even think something like that regardless what they thought about Trump. Sorry but George Will is just another swamp rat looking out for himself.

I value how high the Heritage Foundation scored President Trump on actually implementing conservative principles. Heritage scores Trump higher than Reagan in getting it done.

Pontificating versus action is a horse that has been beaten to death on this board numerous times in threads started by someone we all know and love who seems to value endless, masterfully-written pontificating over action and implementation any day.

Protecting his bonafides with the commie swamp was more important to George Will than actually getting it done.

Trump exposed swampers like Will for who and what they are.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can’t name a single WaPo writer of any political persuasion. At his age and with his bonafides I don’t think George Will is too concerned about acceptance by the media community, I doubt that he has ever been concerned about it. He is anti-Trump out of sheer conservative conviction. He is a principled conservative that recognizes that Trump’s MAGA agenda spits in the eye of conservatism. It is interesting to me that the arguments on this board that have been made against him have all been ad hominem; not a single comment of substance. And that’s the main problem I see with too many MAGA acolytes, the utter loyalty to the man with little to no understanding of what he advocates other than he hates and is hated by the left. That’s enough for them, but it should not be.
Compared to the alternatives (Hillary or Biden), Trump was more conservative than the Catholic Church. If he wants to be critical of decisions Trump made that don't align to his conservative values, I'd be a bigger supporter. But to be "anti-Trump" because he isn't conservative enough can only be accounted for under 2 conditions: 1) He's an immature thinker who lacks any real pragmatism in evaluating the world, or 2) He enjoys his Washington lifestyle, his WaPo salary, and followed along like a good little soldier to the dogma of the newspaper he represents.

Protecting his bonafides with the commie swamp was more important to George Will than actually getting it done.

I would have liked this post 1000 times if allowed. This is EXACTLY who George Will was. I bet he was never accused of being Anti-Romney, or Anti-McCain, and we both know how 'conservative' each of those two showed themselves to be when it came time for action over words.

Yes. Let me endorse my opposition because my ally is too moderate. That's a STRONG take there, PD.

One could argue that at his advanced age, he needs/wants his friends and colleagues (all of whom are liberal swamp creatures) more than ever, and thus aligns himself to them over his principles.

One could argue that at his advanced age, he needs/wants his friends and colleagues (all of whom are liberal swamp creatures) more than ever, and thus aligns himself to them over his principles.

plan9 post was orange man bad shrouded in a cloaked commie named george will

wapo salary lol

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Ok, so what does Trump advocate that conservatives should find so awful? Lower taxes? Wrecking the Chinese economy? Keeping foreigners from invading our borders? Supreme Court nominees?

If that is true he would not have written his 2019 opus, The Conservative Sensibility, in which he forcefully argues on behalf of conservative principles and debunks liberal ideology with passion. You people are hating on him for the wrong reason. Why don’t you just come out and say it, in your opinion Donald Trump is flawless and anybody who thinks otherwise is a miserable POS.

If that is true he would not have written his 2019 opus, The Conservative Sensibility, in which he forcefully argues on behalf of conservative principles and debunks liberal ideology with passion. You people are hating on him for the wrong reason. Why don’t you just come out and say it, in your opinion Donald Trump is flawless and anybody who thinks otherwise is a miserable POS.

Or you’re doing to Will what you’re accusing the Trump voters of doing.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Show me where I've ever said that? Trump wasn't flawless. But I live in the real world, unlike you or Mr. Will apparantly, and I deal with facts not abstractions. So I agree Trump wasn't a perfect conservative. But to support the enemy because your friend isn't "perfect" enough is the kind of moronicness that only someone who abstains from politics (as you describe yourself) could support.

Donald Trump is flawed, as are all human beings. That being said, any “conservative” who sided with Hillary in 2016 is a quisling piece of shit.

This right here sums up the entire “Never Trump” movement, and is also why Trump got the support that he did. We simply have no use blocking dummies like George Will.

Ok, so what does Trump advocate that conservatives should find so awful? Lower taxes? Wrecking the Chinese economy? Keeping foreigners from invading our borders? Supreme Court nominees?
He advocated lower taxes and then seized up and agreed to a lower tax pittance. He insisted he would veto any spending bill he didn’t like, then signed the budgets as written. He said he would end our wars but cowered in the face of resistance. He unilaterally started an all out trade war with the test of the world (including our allies like Germany) saying it would be easy to win and would reduce the trade deficit. The exact opposite happened and as things got worse he doubled down on his mistake. He said he would build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, then confiscated money intended for the military. He said he would reduce the number of regulations businesses would face, implemented a plan to do it, then quietly backed it off.

Your question is precisely why George Will is so anti-Trump. Many, if not most Trump supporters think he is a conservative because he talks bad about liberals and the left. But he is as far from being conservative as most liberals. He is a mercantilist, nationalist state capitalist (fascism light) who is just as on board with big government as the left. Will left the Republican Party because it became Trump’s party which means it eschews conservative principles and replaces them with big government MAGA principles. He recognizes that the ascendance of MAGA will set back small government conservatism for generations to come.

He advocated lower taxes and then seized up and agreed to a lower tax pittance. He insisted he would veto any spending bill he didn’t like, then signed the budgets as written. He said he would end our wars but cowered in the face of resistance. He unilaterally started an all out trade war with the test of the world (including our allies like Germany) saying it would be easy to win and would reduce the trade deficit. The exact opposite happened and as things got worse he doubled down on his mistake. He said he would build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, then confiscated money intended for the military. He said he would reduce the number of regulations businesses would face, implemented a plan to do it, then quietly backed it off.

Your question is precisely why George Will is so anti-Trump. Many, if not most Trump supporters think he is a conservative because he talks bad about liberals and the left. But he is as far from being conservative as most liberals. He is a mercantilist, nationalist state capitalist (fascism light) who is just as on board with big government as the left. Will left the Republican Party because it became Trump’s party which means it eschews conservative principles and replaces them with big government MAGA principles. He recognizes that the ascendance of MAGA will set back small government conservatism for generations to come.
Just be honest, you are mad at Trump because of his tariffs, lord knows you complained about it enough during his time in office.
As to the other I was as disappointed as anyone he was outplayed politically in several instances but with Big Tech, the MSM doing the bidding of Democrats to weaken Trump's presidency it wasn't unexpected to fair minded people. All in all Trump did a pretty good job as President and surprising got a lot done considering the forces he had working against him. Hell Biden has Big Tech and the MSM carrying his water and the corrupt POS can't get anything done without executive orders or violating the Constitution only to get slapped down by the SCOTUS.

The Heritage Foundation disagrees.

Reactions: Corndog2021
“President Donald Trump completed two-thirds of the reforms proposed by the conservative Heritage Foundation faster than former President Ronald Reagan.

“Thomas Binion, director of congressional and executive branch relations at the Heritage Foundation, revealed that President Trump already completed 64 percent of the Heritage’s blueprint known as the “Mandate for Leadership.

“The blueprint offers conservative options to reform the country.

“At the same point in his presidency, Reagan had only completed 49 percent of the Heritage policy recommendations.”

Trump was fighting a manufacturing war and it’s like he could see into the future.

How are your shipping invoices looking?

Trump was fighting a manufacturing war and it’s like he could see into the future.

How are your shipping invoices looking?
He fought a manufacturing war concocted from his own imagination and was not his war to be involved in anyway.

I finally got a part that I have been waiting on since May. Virtually everything my company uses gets backordered. It only started happening after the trade war commenced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT