ADVERTISEMENT

Geer Is Back

Listening to Willies show today he said younger mastro caught a case of the Covid and was weighing 136, he also said Montalvo is injured

Listening to Willies show today he said younger mastro caught a case of the Covid and was weighing 136, he also said Montalvo is injured
He also said AJ is still in a walking boot and is going to Columbia to have some type of procedure done on it

So you don't think Fix, Lewallen & Wittlake could've won their last matches last year? That should've been enough to flip with PSU for 2nd place and within ~15 points of Iowa. Mightve taken a couple other wins or bonus but we were capable of 2nd last, but its a tough tournament, stuff happens.

I'm talking about Iowa last year not this year. Anything can still happen this year, Iowa is not a lock.
I think Daton, Boo & Travis were capable of winning, sure. In fact at the time, I thought all 3 would win their final match. But if they finish 1st, 3rd, 3rd, we still finish 4 points behind PSU.

Not sure what else to say. Iowa was a big favorite last year and they are a bigger favorite this year. Nothing is certain in sports.

Last edited:
You don't win championships by waiting around for the other team to get soft, PSU will prob be better in 23 and they will be challenging in 22, you win by improving talent.

My goal for the team this year is 2 NCs and 7 AAs or 3 top 3s and 6 AAs. Last year's team achieved the goal I thought possible. And a team championship last year was possible, could've finished in 2d and if DeSanto's points had been erased for his post match stuff 2nd could've won it, you never know. The 2&7 or 3&6 probably won't be enough this year but it could, its not strictly about how you match up with Iowa or PSU cause their guys could get taken out by someone else.

Key is great coaching and improvement during the season, peak at the right time, tapper properly and avoid injuries. Most of those are well within our control and you'd hope given past few years we'd get lucky on the injury issue.

End of season lineup could easily be something like below which should be capable of 2&7 or 3& 6:

125 Mastrogiovanni NQ
133 Fix AA
141 Young
149 Gfeller NQ
157 Sheets AA
165 Wittlake AA
174 Plott AA
184 Geer AA
197 Ferrari AA - NC
285 Harris NQ
I am a biased fan but even an unbiased person would give Fix the benefit of the doubt to be a champion.

Our probable lineup this year Mastro at 25, fix at 33, I think Young Mastro at 41 if the cut is not too much, G at 149 would be my pick, Sheets at 57, Wittlake at 65, Plott at 74, Geer at 84, Ferrari at 97 and Austin at HWT. Good lineup but 3rd is likely our limit but if we did win I would say fantastic. Next year we will be Mastro at 25, Fix at 33, Young at 41 with Travis Mastro redshirting, Voinovich at 49, Sheets at 57, Wittlake at 65, Plott at 74, Montalvo at 84, Ferrari at 97 and Surber at HWT if other posters here are right about who goes to HWT. We should be better at almost every weight class, Iowa loses most of their line-up the year before and Penn. St. loses Nick Lee the year before and we don't lose much and so we have a much better chance to win Nationals. 23-24 should be our best lineup with 125 Mastro= Jun., 133 Fix= Sen., 141 Young= Soph., 149= Travis Mastro Soph., 157= Voinovich Soph., 165 Anthony Ferrari= Fresh., 174 Wittlake =Sen., 184 Montalvo= Sen. or Hass= Soph., 197 AJ Jun., HWT Surber=Soph. Obviously we need to recruit a top 125 in the next year or 2 but if Mastro is going to wrestle he will need to be at 125 until 24-25. I don't see us this year being close to Iowa and also not as good as Penn. St but miracles can happen.
So you think Anthony will be a 165 pounder?

My expectations at the beginning of every year are to win it all. Iowa is stacked. If they stay healthy and wrestle to expectations then we don’t have the horses to beat them. Will they stay healthy and wrestle to expectations?
Our injury record has been worse than most of recent

So you think Anthony will be a 165 pounder?
I would say he will wrestle 157-165 and we could pack in most of our power with that lineup I indicated for 23-24. Which would mean Anthony redshirts his first year and then would be at 65 his redshirt freshman year. Just a projection of mine and could be somewhat off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT