ADVERTISEMENT

Geer Is Back

Some things I would like to see happen this year( realistic things) that will increase our chances to win in 2022-2023. We are not winning this year (team championship). First I would like to have 2 National Champs this year, Daton at 133 and AJ at 197. Second would be Hone wrestling 41 but with Travis Mastrogiavanni being close but surpasses Hone later in the year because he jumps a level in his wrestling. Travis would then be ready to All American 2022-23 141. Third we need Surber to redshirt (Surber jumped a level from college season to summer freestyle) and move a half level more and he will be ready to All American that next year at 197 with Ferrari jumping to Hwt as soon as this year is done. More coming but don't want this post longer.
This 1 is very important and that would be Dustin Plott getting healthy and jumping a level either wrestling in duals or redshirting. His injury this last year at Stillwater and his senior year in high school meant there was not any jumps his first year with the Cowboys or his senior year. If we are to win in 2022-23 Plott needs to be a title contender. If this does not happen I really question if we have a chance to win next year as a team.

I don't know if AJ ends up going 197 or heavy, but I don't think he would have any problems. When Anthony Cassar won in 2019, he was only about 230. AJ has the same type of explosiveness.

Reactions: turfpoke
I don't know if AJ ends up going 197 or heavy, but I don't think he would have any problems. When Anthony Cassar won in 2019, he was only about 230. AJ has the same type of explosiveness.

It will be a process for him to build up and be able to carry that weight (230-235). It’s something that won’t happen quickly. I expect him to stay at 197 for sure in 2021/22 and most likely 2022/23.

It will be a process for him to build up and be able to carry that weight (230-235). It’s something that won’t happen quickly. I expect him to stay at 197 for sure in 2021/22 and most likely 2022/23.
I was actually referring to next year when we should have a legitimate shot at the team title. One off-season is plenty of time to bulk up. Austin Schafer, Derek White & Anthony Cassar proved it. Lucas Davison of Northwestern went 197 at Nationals this year and then took 2nd @ 125 kg at U23s about 9 weeks later.

Gable Stevenson is a whole different animal than the heavyweights that year.
Anthony Cassar actually gave Gable his only 2 losses that year. Gable said he had trouble with Cassar's double leg - the same attack AJ uses. I do agree that 2021 Gable would beat 2019 Cassar though. Gable is the best in the world right now. But next year, the main challengers would be Parris & Kerkvliet IMO. All that said, I'd like to see AJ stay @ 197.

Cannot argue with any of what you posted. If AJ can stay at 197 he will be almost impossible to beat. I love the idea of Surber redshirting and taking over 197. He appears to be a little lighter than AJ. Curious how Doucet is developing as he has the scale to be a heavyweight.

That is a very good point. He’s better than Caesar too. That being said, Gable is way better than he used to be. I’m not too worried about it. AJ will do what AJ. Will do. I would like to see him stay at 97 though and Surber go heavy. Surber impressed me a ton and I think he could win the spot at heavy

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
That is a very good point. He’s better than Caesar too. That being said, Gable is way better than he used to be. I’m not too worried about it. AJ will do what AJ. Will do. I would like to see him stay at 97 though and Surber go heavy. Surber impressed me a ton and I think he could win the spot at heavy
If Surber can go to HWT great. I know AJ has talked about going to HWT and I think we need to get Surber in the lineup for 22-23 because he did look so strong this summer in freestyle and should only get better. Our current HWT prospects don't have much All American capabilities unless someone jumped 2 levels in this next year.

Reactions: tom_v31
If Surber can go to HWT great. I know AJ has talked about going to HWT and I think we need to get Surber in the lineup for 22-23 because he did look so strong this summer in freestyle and should only get better. Our current HWT prospects don't have much All American capabilities unless someone jumped 2 levels in this next year.
Wasn't last year's hwt just one win away from AA?

Reactions: skylinepoke
With 141 hopefully now settled, figuring out 197/285 for 2022-23 is key. Barring PSU getting a big time transfer (always possible), the lineups could look like this. Forgetting about a dual, who scores more at Nationals?

125: Mastro vs Howard
133: Daton vs RBY
141: Mastro vs Bartlett
149: Voinovich vs Van Ness
157: Sheets (?) vs Joe Lee (?)
165: Wittlake vs Facundo
174: Plott vs Starocci
184: Montalvo/Haas vs Brooks
197: AJ/Surber vs Dean
285: AJ/Surber/Doucet vs Kerkvliet

With 141 hopefully now settled, figuring out 197/285 for 2022-23 is key. Barring PSU getting a big time transfer (always possible), the lineups could look like this. Forgetting about a dual, who scores more at Nationals?

125: Mastro vs Howard
133: Daton vs RBY
141: Mastro vs Bartlett
149: Voinovich vs Van Ness
157: Sheets (?) vs Joe Lee (?)
165: Wittlake vs Facundo
174: Plott vs Starocci
184: Montalvo/Haas vs Brooks
197: AJ/Surber vs Dean
285: AJ/Surber/Doucet vs Kerkvliet
As I said we better improve a lot if we are going to win against Penn. St in 22-23.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
As I said we better improve a lot if we are going to win against Penn. St in 22-23.
IDK, looks pretty close to me.

A healthy Plott, plus an answer to the 197/285 combination and we are right there. Maybe I'm being a homer.

IDK, looks pretty close to me.

A healthy Plott, plus an answer to the 197/285 combination and we are right there. Maybe I'm being a homer.
Howard has always beaten Mastro but Howard had shoulder surgery and will be out this year. With typical 1st to 2nd year improvement Mastro could take him. RBY is likely a slight favorite, Bartlett would be a big favorite having won a bronze at junior Worlds. Van Ness is higher rated than Voinovich and 57 I don't know who will be wrestling. Wittlake and Facundo will be close but Wittlake needs to improve this year( I don't know if he improved this last year. I think for Plott to beat Starocci he would need to stay healthy and jump a level this year. 184 would be no contest Brooks winning. AJ would be the favorite at 197 but if healthy Kerkvliet would be the favorite at HWT. I see the need for real improvements for us to win but there is not any reason that can't happen. We will get some answers as this year goes on.

Howard has always beaten Mastro but Howard had shoulder surgery and will be out this year. With typical 1st to 2nd year improvement Mastro could take him. RBY is likely a slight favorite, Bartlett would be a big favorite having won a bronze at junior Worlds. Van Ness is higher rated than Voinovich and 57 I don't know who will be wrestling. Wittlake and Facundo will be close but Wittlake needs to improve this year( I don't know if he improved this last year. I think for Plott to beat Starocci he would need to stay healthy and jump a level this year. 184 would be no contest Brooks winning. AJ would be the favorite at 197 but if healthy Kerkvliet would be the favorite at HWT. I see the need for real improvements for us to win but there is not any reason that can't happen. We will get some answers as this year goes on.
I agree

Ok, I'll play the optimist (this time)...this is scoring at Nationals, not a dual...

All of Howard's wins over Mastro have been in freestyle. Mastro is more of a folkstyle guy, especially with his top game. This is a pick 'em in terms of points at NCAAs, IMO. Daton & RBY is a pick 'em also. Mastro's best results were @ 138 (won Fargo) & 145 (3rd @ Ironman). I think he's a high AA @ 141, same with Bartlett. Van Ness wrestled 138 as a senior, he could be small for 149, while Voinovich is a full sized 149. Hard to say, but both should AA. A healthy Sheets would be favored over Lee IMO. Wittlake should be favored over Facundo. I don't think Plott needs to jump levels, he just needs to stay healthy. Starocci would be favored, but Plott should AA. Brooks will be a champ/finalist, but Montalvo could AA. AJ will be a champ while Dean is probably an AA. Kerkvliet will be a finalist, now can Surber or Doucet AA? IDK.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I don't see a big difference.

I may have missed it - is Wittcraft still around?
Witcraft is listed on the roster on Trackwrestling.

The only guys not listed are George Marsh, Conner Webb & Brevin Balmeceda. Marsh is also not in the online directory, while Webb & Balmeceda are.

New add to the roster - Andrew Bloemhof. Looks like a 141 transfer from CSU Bakersfield.
Another thing that could happen this year and improve our chances to win in 22-23 would be to have a world medalist on the team. At 149 Victor really need to have a real good year either redshirting or wrestling varsity as a true freshman. He needs to demonstrate National Champ potential. In Opens Montalvo, and or Haas need to show All American stuff at 184. Staying healthy and wrestling the whole year sets up improvement for what appears to be our 184 future. Lastly this years recruiting class probably will include a lot of Oklahoma kids but we need 1 more real blue chip recruit other than Anthony Ferrari ( maybe as Wrassler writes Bouzakis).

Lastly this years recruiting class probably will include a lot of Oklahoma kids but we need 1 more real blue chip recruit other than Anthony Ferrari ( maybe as Wrassler writes Bouzakis).
Jordan Williams said he plans to announce in Nov. He's got 7 schools on his list. Haven't seen anything about when Bouzakis plans to announce.

Jordan Williams said he plans to announce in Nov. He's got 7 schools on his list. Haven't seen anything about when Bouzakis plans to announce.
I remember Jordan committed to OK State but then quickly decommitted. I hope he comes back, but I’m not holding out much hope.

Austin Boone certified weighing between 165.1 - 174. Was 145 in HS, so he got bigger. Probably a 157 now, that's good news.

Remember Stevo Poulin? The guy we thought might end up too small even for 125, like Kurt McHenry. He certified for NCST weighing between 133.1 - 141. That's the same as Travis Mastro.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Austin Boone certified weighing between 165.1 - 174. Was 145 in HS, so he got bigger. Probably a 157 now, that's good news.

Remember Stevo Poulin? The guy we thought might end up too small even for 125, like Kurt McHenry. He certified for NCST weighing between 133.1 - 141. That's the same as Travis Mastro.
Yep Steve O is about 135 he will be a 125 they hope for his career

Iowa is loaded for 2021-22, so I'm looking at this more for 2022-23 and beyond. If Hone starts this year, then hopefully he finishes his career on the podium. Same with Gfeller.

In 2022-23 we could roll out something like this:
- Mastro
- Fix
- Mastro
- Voinovich
- Wide open (multiple guys battling)
- Wittlake
- Plott
- Montalvo/ Haas
- Surber/Haas
- Ferrari

That could potentially challenge PSU for the team title.
You don't win championships by waiting around for the other team to get soft, PSU will prob be better in 23 and they will be challenging in 22, you win by improving talent.

My goal for the team this year is 2 NCs and 7 AAs or 3 top 3s and 6 AAs. Last year's team achieved the goal I thought possible. And a team championship last year was possible, could've finished in 2d and if DeSanto's points had been erased for his post match stuff 2nd could've won it, you never know. The 2&7 or 3&6 probably won't be enough this year but it could, its not strictly about how you match up with Iowa or PSU cause their guys could get taken out by someone else.

Key is great coaching and improvement during the season, peak at the right time, tapper properly and avoid injuries. Most of those are well within our control and you'd hope given past few years we'd get lucky on the injury issue.

End of season lineup could easily be something like below which should be capable of 2&7 or 3& 6:

125 Mastrogiovanni NQ
133 Fix AA
141 Young
149 Gfeller NQ
157 Sheets AA
165 Wittlake AA
174 Plott AA
184 Geer AA
197 Ferrari AA - NC
285 Harris NQ

Reactions: Inky29
You don't win championships by waiting around for the other team to get soft, PSU will prob be better in 23 and they will be challenging in 22, you win by improving talent.

My goal for the team this year is 2 NCs and 7 AAs or 3 top 3s and 6 AAs. Last year's team achieved the goal I thought possible. And a team championship last year was possible, could've finished in 2d and if DeSanto's points had been erased for his post match stuff 2nd could've won it, you never know. The 2&7 or 3&6 probably won't be enough this year but it could, its not strictly about how you match up with Iowa or PSU cause their guys could get taken out by someone else.

Key is great coaching and improvement during the season, peak at the right time, tapper properly and avoid injuries. Most of those are well within our control and you'd hope given past few years we'd get lucky on the injury issue.

End of season lineup could easily be something like below which should be capable of 2&7 or 3& 6:

125 Mastrogiovanni NQ
133 Fix AA
141 Young
149 Gfeller NQ
157 Sheets AA
165 Wittlake AA
174 Plott AA
184 Geer AA
197 Ferrari AA - NC
285 Harris NQ
I see Surber starting at hwt

125 Mastrogiovanni NQ
133 Fix AA
141 Young
149 Gfeller NQ
157 Sheets AA
165 Wittlake AA
174 Plott AA
184 Geer AA
197 Ferrari AA - NC
285 Harris NQ

Huh? You think we could've won this past season? We had a great tourney and still finished 30 points behind Iowa. And that was with Marinelli getting injured and not placing.

Iowa will be big favorites again this season. Aside from multiple injuries, we are not beating them. Our window opens in 2022-23. That's just being realistic. Harley pointed out this season is about development. And hopefully a team trophy. Besides Iowa & PSU, Michigan/ASU/Cornell will also be tough.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Huh? You think we could've won this past season? We had a great tourney and still finished 30 points behind Iowa. And that was with Marinelli getting injured and not placing.

Iowa will be big favorites again this season. Aside from multiple injuries, we are not beating them. Our window opens in 2022-23. That's just being realistic. Harley pointed out this season is about development. And hopefully a team trophy. Besides Iowa & PSU, Michigan/ASU/Cornell will also be tough.
Didn't we get a team trophy last year? How many point did DeSanto score & how far behind was 2nd place?

My expectations at the beginning of every year are to win it all. Iowa is stacked. If they stay healthy and wrestle to expectations then we don’t have the horses to beat them. Will they stay healthy and wrestle to expectations?

Didn't we get a team trophy last year? How many point did DeSanto score & how far behind was 2nd place?
I'm not following you. You wrote a team championship last year was possible. We finished 3rd, 30 points behind Iowa & 14 points behind PSU. If DeSanto is disqualified and his points nullified, we still don't win. And counting on injuries & disqualifications isn't a plan anyway.

Iowa returns everyone while we lost Boo. They are even bigger favorites this year.

I'm not following you. You wrote a team championship last year was possible. We finished 3rd, 30 points behind Iowa & 14 points behind PSU. If DeSanto is disqualified and his points nullified, we still don't win. And counting on injuries & disqualifications isn't a plan anyway.

Iowa returns everyone while we lost Boo. They are even bigger favorites this year.
Our probable lineup this year Mastro at 25, fix at 33, I think Young Mastro at 41 if the cut is not too much, G at 149 would be my pick, Sheets at 57, Wittlake at 65, Plott at 74, Geer at 84, Ferrari at 97 and Austin at HWT. Good lineup but 3rd is likely our limit but if we did win I would say fantastic. Next year we will be Mastro at 25, Fix at 33, Young at 41 with Travis Mastro redshirting, Voinovich at 49, Sheets at 57, Wittlake at 65, Plott at 74, Montalvo at 84, Ferrari at 97 and Surber at HWT if other posters here are right about who goes to HWT. We should be better at almost every weight class, Iowa loses most of their line-up the year before and Penn. St. loses Nick Lee the year before and we don't lose much and so we have a much better chance to win Nationals. 23-24 should be our best lineup with 125 Mastro= Jun., 133 Fix= Sen., 141 Young= Soph., 149= Travis Mastro Soph., 157= Voinovich Soph., 165 Anthony Ferrari= Fresh., 174 Wittlake =Sen., 184 Montalvo= Sen. or Hass= Soph., 197 AJ Jun., HWT Surber=Soph. Obviously we need to recruit a top 125 in the next year or 2 but if Mastro is going to wrestle he will need to be at 125 until 24-25. I don't see us this year being close to Iowa and also not as good as Penn. St but miracles can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ and Ok_Longhorn

So you don't think Fix, Lewallen & Wittlake could've won their last matches last year? That should've been enough to flip with PSU for 2nd place and within ~15 points of Iowa. Mightve taken a couple other wins or bonus but we were capable of 2nd last, but its a tough tournament, stuff happens.

I'm talking about Iowa last year not this year. Anything can still happen this year, Iowa is not a lock.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT