OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

Former Sooner Gavin Freeman explains decision to transfer to Oklahoma State​

Tyler Waldrep

OSU Sports Writer

TILLWATER — Oklahoma State wide receiver Gavin Freeman was among the first Cowboys to walk in for interviews during Saturday’s Media Day. He sat down off to the side like he was anyone else on the team.
Of course, that isn’t exactly true, considering he caught passes and returned punts last season for the Oklahoma Sooners.
“Every so often I look (at the orange uniform) and it is definitely weird for sure, but I couldn’t be happier,” Freeman said.

66aeb15b90597.image.jpg

The 5-8, 185-pound receiver finished sixth among Sooners wide receivers running only 72 routes last season, with 64 coming in the slot. Freeman made the most of his workload, ending the year with 19 receptions for 95 yards and a touchdown.

“I was probably going to be splitting reps a lot 50-50,” Freeman said. “I didn’t want to do that again and … I wanted to come to a place where I could redshirt.”

If he redshirts, Freeman will likely still push for playing time as a punt returner this fall. He took snaps at that position during practice on Saturday, and he returned 18-of-21 punts for Oklahoma last year for one score and an average gain of 6.8 yards, which ranked 35th in the nation last season.

“The portal transfers and the young players are going to have to spend more time on their own in the evening, prior to school starting, to play catch-up,” Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said. “It’s going to move really fast. It’s just the way it is sometimes. I don’t anticipate many of those guys being the impact in the first few games of the season, anyway, just because we have so many returning players.”

All those returners will push the Cowboys through the installation process this fall at a break-neck pace compared to other seasons. That puts players like Freeman in something of a steeper hole than usual, but the new Cowboy is ready.

“I’m a rep guy and a fail guy, so if I fail it, then it will be in my mind,” Freeman said. “But also I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). So, it is harder sometimes, but like I will write it down cause I got to get it in my mind. I will rep it a couple times for me to really get it.”
On Saturday, Gundy confirmed that Freeman would compete for time in the slot this season while adding that his new receiver could jump 36.5 inches.

“He’s done really well,” Gundy said. “Players have rallied around him. He seems to be comfortable here. He’s a good addition for us. He’s an interesting player. He ran 22 mph in five games at this level, which is very unusual. He’s got a lot of raw ability.”
Of course, that speed would be extremely useful on special teams this fall. Gundy struggled to find willing punt returners in the past, but that won’t be an issue with Freeman.

“Just because I feel like that is probably one of my favorite parts of my game,” Freeman said. “It is one of my strong suits as well. Just being able to showcase my abilities. … I’m happy to do it.”

66aeb1cdc57f6.image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.