ADVERTISEMENT

For My Friend @07Pilt

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
I have never thoroughly understood exactly who you are. For some reason I’ve had it in my head you are a trust-fund baby rife with white guilt. I have no idea where I got that impression. Others have said you are an economics professor at a college somewhere in Oklahoma (which, if true God help your students!). Likewise I have always been confused whether you are “clever” or “intelligent.” Your comments are so enigmatic so often it has been difficult for me to get a read on you.

At any rate assuming you are more intelligent than clever I wanted to post this link for you to watch if you are interested. It is a conversation between an economics professor at George Mason University and a law professor at the same school, followed with questions and comments from what I assume are the econ prof’s classes, probably grad students.

The discussion is over the philosophical disagreements between Adam Smith and Jean-Jacque Rousseau. The law professor has studied Rousseau, while the economics prof Adam Smith. (They also touch briefly on the disagreements between Rousseau and Voltaire, Rousseau and Hobbes, and the personal rift between Rousseau and Hume. But only briefly, the purpose of the discussion is the conflict between Smith and Rousseau.)

I found it to be fascinating, the Rousseau scholar made many significant points. The thing I most admired about the discussion is the two professors are obviously friends and are able to discuss their differences without rancor.

I would assume you would be more “Roussean” than Smith. So I thought you might genuinely like the video. It’s about an hour long, but is well worth your time. I especially liked the student at the end who asked a sincere question of the law professor/Rousseau scholar that seemed to stymie him a bit. Except for that very small hiccup I thought the law professor acquitted himself with great ability.

I hope you’ll watch it and enjoy it as much as I did!

I have never thoroughly understood exactly who you are. For some reason I’ve had it in my head you are a trust-fund baby rife with white guilt. I have no idea where I got that impression. Others have said you are an economics professor at a college somewhere in Oklahoma (which, if true God help your students!). Likewise I have always been confused whether you are “clever” or “intelligent.” Your comments are so enigmatic so often it has been difficult for me to get a read on you.

At any rate assuming you are more intelligent than clever I wanted to post this link for you to watch if you are interested. It is a conversation between an economics professor at George Mason University and a law professor at the same school, followed with questions and comments from what I assume are the econ prof’s classes, probably grad students.

The discussion is over the philosophical disagreements between Adam Smith and Jean-Jacque Rousseau. The law professor has studied Rousseau, while the economics prof Adam Smith. (They also touch briefly on the disagreements between Rousseau and Voltaire, Rousseau and Hobbes, and the personal rift between Rousseau and Hume. But only briefly, the purpose of the discussion is the conflict between Smith and Rousseau.)

I found it to be fascinating, the Rousseau scholar made many significant points. The thing I most admired about the discussion is the two professors are obviously friends and are able to discuss their differences without rancor.

I would assume you would be more “Roussean” than Smith. So I thought you might genuinely like the video. It’s about an hour long, but is well worth your time. I especially liked the student at the end who asked a sincere question of the law professor/Rousseau scholar that seemed to stymie him a bit. Except for that very small hiccup I thought the law professor acquitted himself with great ability.

I hope you’ll watch it and enjoy it as much as I did!

Is there a transcript?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT