ADVERTISEMENT

Flo-next season lineup

I can’t recall who it was or I’d look up the tweet. Someone asked how much they get up to in the offseason. Do they put on 10-15 pounds? I think it was a 149 pounder and he jokingly said 175. I’m sure he wasn’t joking though. It wasn’t an OSU wrestler doing the tweeting.

I can’t recall who it was or I’d look up the tweet. Someone asked how much they get up to in the offseason. Do they put on 10-15 pounds? I think it was a 149 pounder and he jokingly said 175. I’m sure he wasn’t joking though. It wasn’t an OSU wrestler doing the tweeting.
Tristan Moran maybe? I remember Askren saying something about Tristan weighing around 175 about 3 weeks after Nationals in 2020.

BTW, Tristan went 149/157 in his final year in Stillwater and then 141 at Wisconsin. Ryan Blees & Keegan Moore also wrestled lower after they transferred.

But, but OSU cuts a lot of weight...

Reactions: leecothran
Tristan Moran maybe? I remember Askren saying something about Tristan weighing around 175 about 3 weeks after Nationals in 2020.

BTW, Tristan went 149/157 in his final year in Stillwater and then 141 at Wisconsin. Ryan Blees & Keegan Moore also wrestled lower after they transferred.

But, but OSU cuts a lot of weight...
Not any different than anyone else.

Reactions: leecothran
Not any different than anyone else.
The last line was sarcasm, just no emoji.

PSU & Iowa fans comment on OSU weight cutting - it's lazy. Kaleb Young wrestled 79 KG after his first season then had to make 157 the next 4. Brady Berge missed 5 straight duals trying to make 149 then MFF'd after day 2 weigh-ins at Big10s. Heck, Brody Grothus was hospitalized trying to make 141.

Like Mocco said in his documentary on Flo. They say how things are different at OSU but not true. Some guys do push it too far with cutting weight. There are only 10 spots and you’ve got to find somewhere to fit in if you want to wrestle.

Exactly. Find a spot or ride the pine. Obviously don't do anything extreme to hurt yourself... but John Smith recruits you to wrestle at a spot for four years. He'll keep the promise if you do.

PSU & Iowa fans comment on OSU weight cutting - it's lazy. Kaleb Young wrestled 79 KG after his first season then had to make 157 the next 4. Brady Berge missed 5 straight duals trying to make 149 then MFF'd after day 2 weigh-ins at Big10s. Heck, Brody Grothus was hospitalized trying to make 141.
I was picking up your sarcasm.

Reactions: Wrassler17

Kaleb Young looked like a skeleton. Everyone does the same thing. Like Lee said, guys are recruited for a certain weight. Unless something changes they need to manage their weight. Being 15% over in the offseason is probably a pretty common number.

Kaleb Young looked like a skeleton. Everyone does the same thing. Like Lee said, guys are recruited for a certain weight. Unless something changes they need to manage their weight. Being 15% over in the offseason is probably a pretty common number.
I think we need some luck too. Guys are recruited & projected for specific weights, but sometimes it doesn't work out. 3 years ago Kyle Haas said he would be a heavy. When Travis Mastro committed, he said he would be a 165. At one point we all thought Surber would be 165/174.

And Willie made a good point about weight projection and ranking. He has Blankenship #38 PFP as a 133, but "loves him" if he can make 125. If Blankenship does turn out to be a legitimate 125, I think you could make a case that he's top 15.

Last edited:
I honestly can’t picture his body comp so I’m not sure I’ll buy this.

If he’s 215, 184 is 7% and that could be a tough cut if he’s not 10-12%. Just my opinion...no knowledge here.
Not a surprise but Roman Bravo Young is returning to Penn. St. for his final year. Facundo
won juniors at 74 kg. They will have a powerful lineup. We will need to jump a level as a team or they will need bad luck like us and Iowa last year for us to have a chance.

Last edited:
Penn State has a ton of students/fans/alumni. They needed something to cheer for after their child molestation issues. I’m sure the money will keep coming.

Not a surprise but Roman Bravo Young is returning to Penn. St. for his final year. Facundo
won juniors at 74 kg. They will have a powerful lineup. We will need to jump a level as a team or they will need bad luck like us and Iowa last year for us to have a chance.
Them having injury issues is nearly a requirement at this point. If Kerk is a finalist, which I have no reason to doubt, they’ve got 5. We’ve got 2. We need several guys to go from really good wrestlers to studs.

For Penn St all good things must come to a end at some point. They will always be a top dog but there are several schools making the necessary adjustments and moves to put themselves in a good situation to dethrone them.

It’s not like Penn st wrestlers are doing some secret drug to make them win… It’s all about how they approach their training physically and mentally that sets them apart. They are all confident, having fun and probably the most important, Healthy!!

They also have a head coach that will stop at nothing and do whatever it takes to keep winning.

On a more positive note, I went back and watched some of Brayden Thompson’s matches from the open and I was very impressed. Great pickup for us. Kid is quick on his feet and he is a lot stronger than I would expect from a JR in HS. Not sure how much weight he is going to put on before his freshman year, but it looks like he could fill into a 184 easy. Someone remind me of his connection to OSU? Is he originally from OK?

Reactions: DPJ
For Penn St all good things must come to a end at some point. They will always be a top dog but there are several schools making the necessary adjustments and moves to put themselves in a good situation to dethrone them.

It’s not like Penn st wrestlers are doing some secret drug to make them win… It’s all about how they approach their training physically and mentally that sets them apart. They are all confident, having fun and probably the most important, Healthy!!

They also have a head coach that will stop at nothing and do whatever it takes to keep winning.
They have the best RTC in the country for training partners. This is huge advantage for them and development of their guys . OSU better get off their damn ass and get serious or we will not beat them for a title any time in the next 10 years

I was thinking about this when I read RBY was coming back. Has there ever been a 4x second place finisher? Not the way you want to be remembered and I hope Daton is a champion next year.

From memory, without looking it up, I think Duane Goldman was a 4X finalist but won his senior year against Dan Chaid- late 80’s or maybe early 90’s. I can’t think of anyone else close.

They have the best RTC in the country for training partners. This is huge advantage for them and development of their guys . OSU better get off their damn ass and get serious or we will not beat them for a title any time in the next 10 years

Who knows, maybe the NCAA will actually do something? Although more likely they will be too busy with football & basketball. We know RBY said he'd come back if he was paid and we know PSU put together a collective for wrestling so ... maybe but don't hold your breath.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Who knows, maybe the NCAA will actually do something? Although more likely they will be too busy with football & basketball. We know RBY said he'd come back if he was paid and we know PSU put together a collective for wrestling so ... maybe but don't hold your breath.
This would be great. The intention of NIL seems to me like "sell my jersey and give me a cut". Not "who wants to pay me the most to compete".

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
This is the edited version? Lol
Yep. I’m sorry that he has completely went away from what got him to nationals. He was aggressive and on the offensive, he gets to the finals and gets conservative. It is what it is, he is fantastic but he has crapped down his leg in the finals.

Yep. I’m sorry that he has completely went away from what got him to nationals. He was aggressive and on the offensive, he gets to the finals and gets conservative. It is what it is, he is fantastic but he has crapped down his leg in the finals.
I thought this past finals he wrestled the most aggressive out of the 3 IMO. There’s only so much you can do against RBY with his defense and quickness without being a reckless force like Desanto. This was also the first finals where I thought he just out right lost. The others were questionable with the headgear and that takedown he had they called out last year.

Reactions: turfpoke and driad
He's likely to win a world gold medal this summer. Daton isn't overrated by any means.

But, he's right, he's going to have to figure out how to beat RBY to win a national title and he's going to have to figure out how to beat Thomas Gilman to make an Olympic team. Both guys are about as boring as it gets and rely on length and strength to keep people off their legs.

If Daton keeps the single leg and doesn't try to go to a double in the NCAA finals, he probably finishes that takedown against RBY. Instead that moment of separation allowed RBY to get enough leverage to go behind and that was the match.

He didn't "shit down his leg." He actually wrestled much better this year than he did in the previous two finals... just couldn't get it done. It happens. He'll get another crack next year. I love the "I want to beat him, I'm glad he's back" attitude.

He's likely to win a world gold medal this summer. Daton isn't overrated by any means.

But, he's right, he's going to have to figure out how to beat RBY to win a national title and he's going to have to figure out how to beat Thomas Gilman to make an Olympic team. Both guys are about as boring as it gets and rely on length and strength to keep people off their legs.

If Daton keeps the single leg and doesn't try to go to a double in the NCAA finals, he probably finishes that takedown against RBY. Instead that moment of separation allowed RBY to get enough leverage to go behind and that was the match.

He didn't "shit down his leg." He actually wrestled much better this year than he did in the previous two finals... just couldn't get it done. It happens. He'll get another crack next year. I love the "I want to beat him, I'm glad he's back" attitude.
I’ll take 9 other guys that make it to the finals their first 3 seasons. When there are two high level wrestlers in the NCAA finals someone is going to lose. He should have won it his freshman year, but it was stolen from him by a quick stalemate call.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT