ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Yurcich and put Spencer on notice

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
Gundy needs to fire Yurcich now (not at the end of the season) and replace him with Josh Henson or Marcus Arroyo. Yurcich should not have been given another 1 year contract. The guy is completely clueless when it comes to calling plays. For example, we replaced two offensive lineman this year because the new guys are better at run blocking, but all we do is pass which happens to be their weakness and the strength of the two guys they took off the field. We were 1-11 on 3rd down. Also, someone please show me where a QB under Yurcich has gotten better. Mason has taken a step backwards. Walsh did too after a very good freshman campaign. Sure we utilized him in short yardage, but as a full time QB he never got better. On Saturday, Mason couldn't hit the side of a barn, but we kept passing anyways. However, the offensive coordinator could have taken him out for a series or even the entire game without creating a controversy by stating he's still our starter but he had a bad day.

Spencer must go after the season is over unless he can show improvement on 3rd down and be able to make adjustments after the half. Like stop rushing three on third-and-long and stop playing man-to-man defense when the other team keeps running a simple crossing pattern over the middle that we can't seem to cover. Central Michigan was 8-15 on 3rd down today. Here's what I also don't understand about him. First, why isn't Taylor and Osborn in the game on a third and long situations so they can collapse the pocket (i.e. push the linemen back into the face of the quarterback). They are the two best pass rushing defensive lineman, who also happen to be the most disruptive and demand double teams. Defensive tackle is our biggest strength on defense, but we take ALL OF THEM off the field every 3rd and long situation. Why? Also, why doesn't he use corners instead of safeties or linebackers to cover inside receivers? We have some really good cover corners, so why not use them (we have good depth)? And because our linebackers have a hard time covering anybody over the middle in pass coverage on 3rd down, why not move Flowers and Moncrief to both outside linebacker positions on third-and-long (since they shouldn't be playing man-to-man on inside receivers anyways)?

Gundy needs to learn better clock management. How many times is he going to go into victory formation before the game is in hand? He's done this multiple times over his career only to have us punt or watch JB run around like a crazy man. Totally unacceptable! It's never come to bite us in the butt until now, but we've just gotten lucky up until this point.

Last edited:
Since Gundy is the leader of this organization, he has to make some tough decisions NOW that are best for this team. Sometimes I wish he'd stop trying to outsmart us all. If you remember, sometime last season he called Yurcich an up-and-coming offensive coordinator (yet didn't give him a long term contract extension). I think he did this in hopes of somebody coming along and hiring Yurcich away so that he wouldn't have to fire him (which he probably thought was clever, but in the end it came back to bite him in the butt because nobody came along to hire him away). All Gundy had to do was just not renew his contract, but that would mean Gundy would have to admit he made a mistake in hiring Yurcich in the first place. It all comes down to pride, and pride comes before the fall (which is what we're experiencing right now).

Personally I've seen enough of Yurcich to know he just doesn't have "it" when it comes to calling plays, making adjustments, knowing how to play to your teams strength, and knowing how to focus on the other teams weaknesses. He just doesn't have "it," so why wait until the end of the season and throw away the rest of this season? Gundy owes it to the FANS and to the SENIORS on this team to make a change now.

Gundy should have made this change at the end of last season, especially after how it unfolded during the last 3 games of the season. What blows my mind is even though Yurcich's 3 year contract was up, Gundy didn't have the guts to fire him. Instead Gundy gave him another one year contract, which is not a ringing endorsement especially if Gundy truly thinks Yurcich is an up-and-coming coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT