ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL X coming to Stillwater

Don't know until they wrestle.
Based on the last two years, most wrestling experts would favor Carter over Dustin, is that correct????

It’s ok to say that the Penn State Wrestler is better than the OSU wrestler.... you can admit it. If not, you are an OSU homer that isn’t serious about OSU wrestling being the best ever again. Dustin will need to make major improvements to beat Carter in freestyle or folk style and that’s the truth right now. You are a clown if you’re trying to argue otherwise

Last edited:
Based on the last two years, most wrestling experts would favor Carter over Dustin, is that correct????

It’s ok to say that the Penn State Wrestler is better than the OSU wrestler.... you can admit it. If not, you are an OSU homer that isn’t serious about OSU wrestling being the best ever again. Dustin will need to make major improvements to beat Carter in freestyle or folk style and that’s the truth right now. You are a clown if you’re trying to argue otherwise

It's equally foolish to just automatically write it off and say it can't happen. Most experts favored Gwiz over Hayden Zilmer. Most experts favored Gable Steveson over Anthony Cassar. Dustin is an elite talent. He has had injuries. He probably isn't as strong as Carter. He absolutely could still win a match with him if given the opportunity. It's not impossible.

And yes. I'm not serious about OSU wrestling being the best ever again. I'm so not serious about it that I started the PFB coverage of the sport back in 2016 and advocated for Seth's hiring. I'm so not serious about it again that I've routinely advocated for better support from OSU communications on giving resources to the program. Have spent hours of my time and money to build a podcast that highlights the successes of current and former OSU wrestlers.

I don't care at all. I'm just some guy that isn't invested in OSU wrestling's success. That uses his real name on message boards so people can clown on me in their basement. That's me.

It's equally foolish to just automatically write it off and say it can't happen. Most experts favored Gwiz over Hayden Zilmer. Most experts favored Gable Steveson over Anthony Cassar. Dustin is an elite talent. He has had injuries. He probably isn't as strong as Carter. He absolutely could still win a match with him if given the opportunity. It's not impossible.

And yes. I'm not serious about OSU wrestling being the best ever again. I'm so not serious about it that I started the PFB coverage of the sport back in 2016 and advocated for Seth's hiring. I'm so not serious about it again that I've routinely advocated for better support from OSU communications on giving resources to the program. Have spent hours of my time and money to build a podcast that highlights the successes of current and former OSU wrestlers.

I don't care at all. I'm just some guy that isn't invested in OSU wrestling's success. That uses his real name on message boards so people can clown on me in their basement. That's me.
Off the top rope!

So you’re finally going to come out of the closet and disclose this is all a clever ruse to pump up ou wrestling?

Reactions: leecothran
Lots of wrestling in the last 2 weeks. Refs sure do not seem to like Daton much and he gets lots of bad calls. However he had sizeable leads in each of the 3 matches and so he should have been able to overcome Gross and the refs. Daton gave ground to Gross and put himself near out of bounds and would gave up 1 on the pushout or give up a takedown. How can Gross push Daton around is not understandable when you look at the legs and size of each wrestler. I was stunned how poorly he wrestled in the 2nd periods.
Mastro wrestled okay but was not impressive. Losing 2 out of 3 to Noto does not give me confidence that he will All American next year. Noto just stopped Trevors offense. His matches against Unger and Miller make you think he will be a top 16 finisher but will he be an All American?
Carter Young looks bigger and stronger than this college season. He was impressive up to the finals but really fell apart against Cornella where he had a big lead and lost that lead. Maybe he wore out but that 2nd period he looked like a frozen wrestler.
Jordan Williams looks like he needs a redshirt year to get stronger and become a better wrestler. He seemed to hurt his back against the Penn. St. recruit. Paniro Johnson overpowered him again but not as bad as the last time they wrestled.
Luke Surber wrestled okay but was mismatch against All American type wrestlers Cassiopi and Davison. I don't know if he is much bigger than he was during the season?
Dustin won the tournament but it appears he will not go to Worlds because it appears from the interview that Starrocci will take that weight. Great comeback for Dustin against Conigliaro who seemed to gas but I was concerned how Plott wrestled the 1st period. He wrestled good against O'Malley to win the tournament. In the interview Starocci said he would wrestle Plott anytime. Plott is not near Starocci's level as I see it. Of course Starrocci appears to be a superstar.
Kyle Haas was very unimpressive being teched in 2 minutes by Schumate who he beat a couple of years ago to make the World Team. He beat Franklin who will be a freshman at Iowa this next year, and he beat Gunderson from UNI and Bates from Northwestern beat him fairly easily. I am very concerned about 184.
At this point considering last year and freestyle season I don't see us being a threat to win 35 which I was hoping we would be. Of course there will be a bunch of you who won't like this. I like our recruiting but I don't see enough development in many of our wrestlers
Then we have Brayden Thompson who beat ranked Rocco Welsh and Josh Barr in very close matches with last second wins. He beat Luca Augustine a college wrestler 2 wins to 0 to make the World team. Thompson is strong, has good defense and on offense finds a way to win. He had a great duck against Welsh, got a leg lace exposure to beat Barr in the last seconds, nice head shuck for 2 against Augustine and is tough and in great shape ( he had 3 tough wins before his 2 out of 3 match with Augustine). He needs to develop more leg shots but if he keeps developing he will be special.

Can we not insult fellow fans especially major advocates for our program? It’s fine to have different opinions but for FFS be polite. This ain’t IOWA, y’all (see what I did there)

jk. Every Iowan I’ve met has been super nice. Like eerily nice.
Dustin could bear Carter. He’d need a good day and Carter would need to slip up. So that makes me a homer/clown. So what. My input doesn’t mean jack. I’m not the one training him.

Can we not insult fellow fans especially major advocates for our program? It’s fine to have different opinions but for FFS be polite. This ain’t IOWA, y’all (see what I did there)

jk. Every Iowan I’ve met has been super nice. Like eerily nice.
Dustin could bear Carter. He’d need a good day and Carter would need to slip up. So that makes me a homer/clown. So what. My input doesn’t mean jack. I’m not the one training him.
This board isn't real big on people offering up unpopular opinions. Around 6 months ago, tom_v31 got run off after he posted that Wittlake is highly skilled, but "coasts" during matches. Ironically, John has said virtually the same thing.

The board also isn't big on people asking tough questions. There's just very little appetite for those types of discussions.

This board isn't real big on people offering up unpopular opinions. Around 6 months ago, tom_v31 got run off after he posted that Wittlake is highly skilled, but "coasts" during matches. Ironically, John has said virtually the same thing.

The board also isn't big on people asking tough questions. There's just very little appetite for those types of discussions.

Let's be honest. There's another jump Plott would have to take to even put him in the "possible" side of beating Starocci. He's in the right place to do it.

Run out how? Banned by mods or stopped posting? TBH if “this board” insists on having a single opinion then I’ll be out of here too. I do think a certain degree of civility towards each other is something to strive for, though. And I do realize this is the internet so manners are a big ask :)

Run out how? Banned by mods or stopped posting? TBH if “this board” insists on having a single opinion then I’ll be out of here too. I do think a certain degree of civility towards each other is something to strive for, though. And I do realize this is the internet so manners are a big ask :)
He stopped posting after the replies to his comment turned to personal insults.

• Love
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I have to say at long last it is time to ask hard questions about OSU wrestling but it has nothing to do with either Jordan who is long gone from the scene or Daton Fix who admittedly did not wrestle well today in any of his 3 matches. He was aggressive for the first period in all 3 matches and then started retreating and giving ground in the 2nd period. Not the way to win matches and he was lucky to win the first match on criteria. I am big fan of Daton and his family but for whatever reason today was not his day. I am hearing rumors about a lot of dissension in the wrestling room at present and apparently we are missing two wrestlers from the team due to "fighting". I will not name names as these are unconfirmed rumors. John has to take firm action in my opinion or we will not be even as good as last year. I hate to see this program torn apart by a few. I am not going to desert a sinking ship but this is not the program that I have supported for the last 62 years.
Any word on the two wrestlers that have been away from the team? Was this rumor ever confirmed?

A lot of the experts also favored Fix over RBY over the last two years too.

You have to use the on-the-mat result. Carter's resume is long, whereas, Plott's is short besides injuries.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT