ADVERTISEMENT

Fargin Icehole Squirrels

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
I have a long running issue with squirrels chewing up the wood trim on my house. It hasn't been a huge deal until the last month or so. One of them has started chewing on one of my skylights (not sure if it is wood or if he is sharpening his teeth on the metal). It is happening every morning and evening and is loud enough to wake up everyone in the house. The skylight is in a location where it is not easy to visualize from the ground, but I can throw a rock in the general vicinity and scare him off (haven't broken the skylight yet). Lately, I have been waiting for him to finish, at which time he always goes to the top of the roof, where I can see him from the backyard. I have been shooting him with my Red Rider BB gun (with a compass on the stock and a thing that tells time). I have hit him a couple of times, but all that does is send him running.

Does anyone have a good solution to this issue, short of me buying a more powerful gun and firing it in my crowded suburban neighborhood? I'm not crazy about the idea of climbing up on my roof if that can be avoided.

1.) Get a .22 rifle with a barrel threaded for a suppressor. Take the squirrel out for good. If there’s a “Do no harm” equivalent oath in the veterinarian’s code then I understand if this solution poses a dilemma for you.

2.) Been Jammin throwing a rock in the area of his skylight, breaking it and letting a slew of squirrels into his house is exactly the kind of sitcom plot I need to become reality. We all need a laugh. Time to take one for the team.

My little buddy didn’t make any appearances since I took some shots at him on Friday night. Crossing my fingers that he packed up and found a new tree down the road.

Good idea. But, I’m not a fan of outdoor cats. Every one I have ever had has died an early death due to things that would not have happened had they been kept inside.
I don’t think I have had an outdoor cat not disappear about a year out. But they mound up the mice in that short time

Reactions: Been Jammin
1.) Get a .22 rifle with a barrel threaded for a suppressor. Take the squirrel out for good. If there’s a “Do no harm” equivalent oath in the veterinarian’s code then I understand if this solution poses a dilemma for you.

2.) Been Jammin throwing a rock in the area of his skylight, breaking it and letting a slew of squirrels into his house is exactly the kind of sitcom plot I need to become reality. We all need a laugh. Time to take one for the team.

Plenty of vets are hunters. No oath.

Problem with a .22 is that the only way I can shoot at him is with me on the ground and him on the roof or up in a tree. If I miss, who knows where the bullet might end up. I don’t feel comfortable with that scenario.

Plenty of vets are hunters. No oath.

Problem with a .22 is that the only way I can shoot at him is with me on the ground and him on the roof or up in a tree. If I miss, who knows where the bullet might end up. I don’t feel comfortable with that scenario.
Very true. I was kidding.

what the heck is going on with these squirrely sob's. They are becoming aggressive at my house as well. And they are smart. They are chewing holes in the cushions of the outside furniture. They will be outside looking in through the window as my 60 pound dog is barking, growling, scratching...and he just sits there knowing nothing is going to happen. I hate to kill them but that may be the only way. And I agree about the pellet gun...that's what I'd use. I'm debating.

what the heck is going on with these squirrely sob's. They are becoming aggressive at my house as well. And they are smart. They are chewing holes in the cushions of the outside furniture. They will be outside looking in through the window as my 60 pound dog is barking, growling, scratching...and he just sits there knowing nothing is going to happen. I hate to kill them but that may be the only way. And I agree about the pellet gun...that's what I'd use. I'm debating.

They can sense our collective fear and weakness.

And it’s 2020. Anything is possible, including the Fargin Icehole Squirrel Revolution

So do Vets not have a "do no harm" mantra like Dr's? Maybe now I know why Pickett freaks out when I drive across town to your office. You are just sitting back there throwing stuff at her, practicing to injure that squirrel. Seriously though I hate those things, I've trapped so many at my house and then driven them 20 miles away across two interstates to get rid of them. Man they are pissed when they are in that cage.

How do you trap them?

It’s been too long since I’ve seen Picket. Bring her by. Need someone to take out my squirrel frustration on.

You animal!!!

I do need to bring her in for something I’m sure. I actually have a metal trap that works. I’ve found the best way is to find the route they normally take to get on your roof. Wrap the trap with a dark trash bag so it looks like a dark hole. I’ve found Peanut Butter works well for bait. Leave the trap next to the path they take to get on your roof. I was catching about 2 a week for about a month. Only ever had one turn on me when I eventually let them go.
Not sure if it was my vicious right hook or my scream like a little girl that eventually made it run off.

As far as outside cats - if you’re in a rural area and you can find someone willing to give up a barn cat, that’s your ticket.

We had one when I was in high school and that car cleaned the place out of any and all rodents her size or smaller. Mice, field rats, squirrels, possums, rabbits, etc. That cat was a killing machine and wanted nothing to do with running in the house or being a pain.

I think she lived to be about 12 before she just disappeared one night.

Squirrels are awesome. They are ornery and like to have fun.

Must be some good tasting wood. Maybe offer up another food source that they prefer better than your house?

Or apply something nasty to the parts of your house they like...has to be something you could spray or spread on that they wouldn’t touch.

Squirrels are awesome. They are ornery and like to have fun.

Must be some good tasting wood. Maybe offer up another food source that they prefer better than your house?

Or apply something nasty to the parts of your house they like...has to be something you could spray or spread on that they wouldn’t touch.

Someone said we need to replace the chewed wood with Hardie Board, and paint to match. Seems expensive and like they would just find other places to chew.

Could be me I laid 2 grand worth of sod this summer to finish off my lawn and right afterwards the moles moved in. Vito vs the moles part 2. Worst part is I had the effer done it with my uncles dog and my sister goes over and saves it from the dog and lets it go. I don’t know if I have the energy for another battle again or not. Sucks my lawn was finally perfect after three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT