ADVERTISEMENT

Fallout question

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
I have never played any of these games and have no clue what the story about however everyone keeps saying it's going to be awesome. I'm desperate to find a game to play on this Xbox One and since Ed Obannon screwed me out of my NCAA football game I'm really wanting to find something.

So do I need to know anything about this story once the game comes out or am I good to just jump in at the latest release?

Based on playing Fallout 3 and none of the previous games, I'd say you're fine to jump right in. It's more a sequel in terms of setting than character. You'll almost certainly miss out on some in-jokes or references, but I can almost guarantee you won't need to have played previous games in order to understand this one.

That said, if you do want to better understand the story, there are series of videos on youtube you can watch to really get a deep understanding. Basically, in some alternate-USA where fashion and technology seemed stuck in the 1950s (but was really well into the future), there was a nuclear war. Large portions of the country became an irradiated wasteland. One company, Vault-Tec, set up hundreds of bomb-proof bunkers around the country and filled them up with survivors whose families have lived for generations now in those bunkers. Vault-Tec secretly monitored those bunkers and set up weird experiments in some of them to see how people would react. Outside the bunkers, the radiation caused weird mutations, and mutant people and animals roam around the countryside, along with more normal bandits and marauders. As far as I know, each story usually follows one bunker-dweller who leaves the bunker to do something (e.g., in Fallout 3, you were looking for your dad) and takes place in and around one city.

That's pretty much it. I doubt you really need to know more than that to pick up the new one and enjoy it.

Edited to add: Here's a video summary of the main events of Fallout 3, if you're interested:

The guys voice in the video wore me down. :)

After watching that video I can only hope that the next one looks better than Fallout 3.

The guys voice in the video wore me down. :)

After watching that video I can only hope that the next one looks better than Fallout 3.
There are a bunch of videos out there if that guy's voice is annoying; I just googled and posted the first one.

Fallout 3 came out 7 years ago, so I'd imagine the new one will look a lot better. Prepare yourself for a time-suck, though. This new one has a ton of customization options.

It is a Bethesda game. Jump right in and the story will have enough detail in it for a newcomer to thoroughly enjoy it. I have never played a Fallout game, but will be getting this one. I have loved Bethesda ever since Daggerfall. I have played all the Elder Scrolls games since that release.

I think you will get the gist of the story with this one because it's told in a "prequel" way in the beginning of the game from what we have seen. You may miss some of the inside stuff as someone mentioned, but what's funny is that a lot of us started with Fallout 3 and then played New Vegas, going back and learning the story online about Fallout one and two because they were PC only. I think this game probably won't have much in it about the events in New Vegas, bid it will probably reference some form Fallout 3 since it was close in geography (DC to Boston, apparently).

This may be the greatest gaming experience in our history. At least it is for those that have become immersed into the Fallout story like I have. Grown men will be calling in sick all across the country on November 11th lol, because they will have stayed up all night playing this damn game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT