ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Turkey 2023

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
Any of you have any tips to a novice? I have wanted to turkey hunt my whole life and finally have a spot with actual turkeys. Went out this weekend and hunted from sunup to sundown and never heard or saw them. I know the roost is somewhere on the property. Any of you give any advice or tips? I am looking for things not on google. Thanks this is all new to me. I really enjoyed walking around all day but would love to get a chance to smoke up a wild turkey for Thanksgiving this year.

Any advice on calls or spotting the roosting area like what I should be looking for.

Good news is I have my deer spot picked out and saw a huge buck. Then found when they are bedding at night. I got deer season figure out, but these damn turkeys are killing me.

Well after the entire season I finally saw the rafter and got in a good spot and then my buddy kind of pushed them into me. I got so excited I pulled the trigger 10ft to early. Spring is going to be a long way off.

We don't have many turkeys out here, but I think calls and some decoys would be a good place to start next spring. I think I remember that you had maybe 160 acres so I think moving around would be more likely to spook them than finding a good spot to set up and try to call them in.

I'm not a turkey hunter so I could totally be off.

We don't have many turkeys out here, but I think calls and some decoys would be a good place to start next spring. I think I remember that you had maybe 160 acres so I think moving around would be more likely to spook them than finding a good spot to set up and try to call them in.

I'm not a turkey hunter so I could totally be off.
Ya spring should be a lot more fun. They don't respond to calls in the fall is what I have been told. I have the perfect spot I want to setup a blind, but the bad thing is these guy roost right in the corner of the land and if you aren't careful, they just cross the road and are safe. Made hunting them difficult but super fun IMO. I think I am totally hooked on fall turkey season. I almost don't want to even deer hunt but learn the bow so I can keep on these turkey's till Jan.

Turkey and a bow is tough. The feathers hide their shape and often a stuck bird will run off with an arrow. I know some use light string to help locate the arrow/bird after it is stuck.

A decent compound bow package isn’t terribly expensive to buy or difficult to learn to shoot. Recurve/long bow take years to get competent.

Lancaster Archery has dozens of packages and very knowledgeable staff. They could totally set you up. If you’re in the OKC area there are several shops that have great staff. I like Choctaw Archery.

Lancaster

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Turkey and a bow is tough. The feathers hide their shape and often a stuck bird will run off with an arrow. I know some use light string to help locate the arrow/bird after it is stuck.

A decent compound bow package isn’t terribly expensive to buy or difficult to learn to shoot. Recurve/long bow take years to get competent.

Lancaster Archery has dozens of packages and very knowledgeable staff. They could totally set you up. If you’re in the OKC area there are several shops that have great staff. I like Choctaw Archery.

Lancaster
Thanks man. I think this is the next step I want to take in hunting. I only wish my good buddy was here to teach me.

I am going to check this out and see what it will cost to get setup. If I start now I might be able to try by next turkey and deer season and then I could hunt both at the same time. That would be kinda cool.

Thanks man. I think this is the next step I want to take in hunting. I only wish my good buddy was here to teach me.

I am going to check this out and see what it will cost to get setup. If I start now I might be able to try by next turkey and deer season and then I could hunt both at the same time. That would be kinda cool.
Legitimately, you could have a solid bow set up for $400-600. That would include a bow, sight, release, arrows and a target. If you're completely green, I really can't recommend buying online. You will need a lot of help with the initial set up and a good archery shop can do that. Additionally, a few lessons can make the learning curve dramatically easier. Learning to a good anchor point, shooting sequence, etc. is paramount to a consistent shot. None of that can truly be learned from a video or over the net. An instructor will just have to be sitting with you fitting you to a bow. It will be a little more expensive, but for your initial set up, I think it is your best bet. Also, many of the archery shops will have used bows for sale, too. That could cheapen up your initial expense a little.

I sure hope you go down the archery road. I've never killed anything with any of my bows, but I have loved shooting them. It's a very rewarding hobby.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Sounds like the Turkeys didn't like you too much either. :cool:

Did you ever get into archery?
No but I will they seem cheap to get into and we are getting the property setup finally with stands all over. I swear if China would sign off on being able to age up my clone I would pay the 450k.

Yesterday I am mowing one of my favorite but biggest jobs. I didn't go hunting Sunday to get this job caught up. Right at the end of the job a huge town Tom walks out. I am not going to lie I had a perfect stick and I was going to go full Braveheart. I then had a thought click oh shit this is what the whole neighborhood is feeding behind their homes. I had to pass on it. Wish I knew how to post photos from my phone. The beard holy shit. lol

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
So the Town Turkey is now just walking up to me. They feed this thing a head of cabbage tomatoes fresh eggs. I am telling you fine gentlemen, I am learning.

If you make him too much of a pet, you’ll feel bad killing him. If you don’t feel bad, do it like a man: use a machete.
Once I name them they are focked. Rodolf and his does are doomed also. I think the turkey will be piano wire has to be super clean. This job pays all my bills for the year and it’s my favorite place to mow.

Well fellows I just retitles the thread but 17 days and its fall turkey season. I am bow hunting the Tom this year. I watched every Robin Hood movie this off season and am bring the heat.

Jumped them today got within 15 yards. Man would have killed for that to have happened tomorrow lol.

I fully expect footage when it happens

I think the arrow or broad head breaks. I can see something flying off to the left while you can see the flu flu flying past the turkey

I fully expect footage when it happens

I think the arrow or broad head breaks. I can see something flying off to the left while you can see the flu flu flying past the turkey
I am thinking I should get a go pro thing to start wearing in the woods. At the least if I die they will know what animal got me.

Turkey have been scouted to an area and seen twice in a row now. Fingers crossed they are roosted up and come out in the sun tomorrow afternoon. I want a turkey.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT