ADVERTISEMENT

Electronic medical records the worst idea ever

HighStickHarry

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2006
Not only does every dr I see bitch about plugging shit into a computer when you visit, but there is no way determined people aren't going to get these. Every herpe, every boob job, every plunger stick stuck up the butt dr visit will be hacked and exposed. What about the notes people's psychiatrist jog down about their deepest darkest secrets? Call me mr tinfoil hat, but I used to tell my dr everything to get the best use of their skill. I will give great pause the next time my head shrinker wants to discuss the plunger thing.

Originally posted by SamuraiFred:
Nobody gives 2 shits about your medical records.
Except when you really need them and them and can't get them.

Yeah I wont go too deep into this... but I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable in the subject... cant say I've seen a data breach of an EMR provider in my 10 years doing this - at least we havent had one... but in that same time have seen so many stories of paper charts being exposed, or dropped into a dumpster unshredded. Your PHI is safe in an EMR.

This post was edited on 11/26 10:59 AM by PlatteCoPoke

I guess to add on to my previous thought... the fear shouldnt be around someone hacking in. Now if someone has system sign-ons, they could dig into your chart.. but any EMR provider has ways to see who accesses any chart - whereas a paper chart, dont exactly have that. Someone could steal a computer with info on it... but that would only contain whats local to the pc, as getting into an EMR will require logins.

I guess I don't understand why big companies with millions to spend on security can't protect my credit card number but medical records are unhackable

Originally posted by HighStickHarry:
I guess I don't understand why big companies with millions to spend on security can't protect my credit card number but medical records are unhackable
I definitely cant speak to the technical pieces as to why, not my side of the business... but ask yourself this... if you're up for criminal activity... would you rather have someones credit card number, or know what meds they're on?

Originally posted by PlatteCoPoke:

I definitely cant speak to the technical pieces as to why, not my side of the business... but ask yourself this... if you're up for criminal activity... would you rather have someones credit card number, or know what meds they're on?

Knowing which medicene cabinet to find certain meds in can be pretty good information for some.

Same line of thinking here too:

People believe MACs are hack free...not true, far from it. Just everything runs on windows and much more money involved with their systems.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Bitter Creek:
Originally posted by PlatteCoPoke:
Knowing which medicene cabinet to find certain meds in can be pretty good information for some.
Would be a hell of a lot easier to hit up a pharmacy with a gun and a ski mask - outside of OKC.

As soon as the bad guys figure out a way to monetize those records they'll start getting popped.

Also, I can see them used as blackmail. Say you have an STD, pay us 500 bucks and we won't release that info to the wife.
This post was edited on 11/27 1:20 PM by Ostatedchi

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT