ADVERTISEMENT

Egg Politics

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
Ok so as you all know I jumped into chickens about a year ago. So I just did it really because of a pending egg shortage, my son eats them every morning for breakfast, so I control the nutrition, and to teach him responsibility. Now I have been kinda wondering what is driving this egg shortage so bad.

So I am listening to a pod cast this morning while inputting and filling out paperwork and I think there are several factors all hitting at once but one category was interesting and again shows how Government or more Government control and I am sorry but making farmers grow cage free chickens should be driven by the market not government.

So you have these contributing:

1. AI
  2. CA,CO, and WA(not sure might be another state) are all making farmers only raise egg laying chickens in cage free environments.
  3. increase in fuel, feed and packaging
Now lets break this down. You are not controlling AI and unfortunately it takes time to replace a whole flock of chickens that they thought would be producing and putting eggs in the market. Takes at least 3-4 months and really 4-5 to get a bird from chick to egg layer. So this is out of our control to a degree and you will have outbreaks.

So the next one is animal welfare. Shouldn't this be a market driven type fix? If mankind wants to treat its food more humane shouldn't the market reflect this? Feed, Water and shelter. Farms will have to move states or comply with state regulations. Only like 1,000 farms produce the majority of our eggs. even if one farm changes the layout or setup of its farm from cage to cage free will cause a reduction in chickens on that farm.

Now inflation. Once again, another self-inflicted increase in cost all caused by the government.

Go Woke go broke!

If you’ve ever cared for a half way decent number of chickens, you’ll insist that your eggs and chicken flesh come from birds in controlled spaces, separated from other birds, and fed a very controlled, grain biased diet.

I do not want to eat free range chickens, nor eat their eggs, unless they are under my direct control because there is no telling what those vermin have consumed.

If you’ve ever cared for a half way decent number of chickens, you’ll insist that your eggs and chicken flesh come from birds in controlled spaces, separated from other birds, and fed a very controlled, grain biased diet.

I do not want to eat free range chickens, nor eat their eggs, unless they are under my direct control because there is no telling what those vermin have consumed.
I had one eat a snake the other day. My wife asked if we ate snake then. I said, like there was a snake inside the egg and then we ate it? She stopped talking back. They will eat anything.

I haven't ate any of my chickens. I was talking more commercial operations. The better quality is noticed.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Ok so as you all know I jumped into chickens about a year ago. So I just did it really because of a pending egg shortage, my son eats them every morning for breakfast, so I control the nutrition, and to teach him responsibility. Now I have been kinda wondering what is driving this egg shortage so bad.

So I am listening to a pod cast this morning while inputting and filling out paperwork and I think there are several factors all hitting at once but one category was interesting and again shows how Government or more Government control and I am sorry but making farmers grow cage free chickens should be driven by the market not government.

So you have these contributing:

1. AI
  2. CA,CO, and WA(not sure might be another state) are all making farmers only raise egg laying chickens in cage free environments.
  3. increase in fuel, feed and packaging
Now lets break this down. You are not controlling AI and unfortunately it takes time to replace a whole flock of chickens that they thought would be producing and putting eggs in the market. Takes at least 3-4 months and really 4-5 to get a bird from chick to egg layer. So this is out of our control to a degree and you will have outbreaks.

So the next one is animal welfare. Shouldn't this be a market driven type fix? If mankind wants to treat its food more humane shouldn't the market reflect this? Feed, Water and shelter. Farms will have to move states or comply with state regulations. Only like 1,000 farms produce the majority of our eggs. even if one farm changes the layout or setup of its farm from cage to cage free will cause a reduction in chickens on that farm.

Now inflation. Once again, another self-inflicted increase in cost all caused by the government.

Go Woke go broke!
Aren't market forces at work for CA, CO, and WA eggs? Hell, aren't the politicians who enacted free-range requirements subject to market forces as well?

Aren't market forces at work for CA, CO, and WA eggs? Hell, aren't the politicians who enacted free-range requirements subject to market forces as well?
So wouldn't farms want to naturally move to a free-range product if the market demands it?

So wouldn't farms want to naturally move to a free-range product if the market demands it?
Do you think 16 yos would buy booze if it was legal? Do you think people would buy salmon caught out of season if they could? We have all kinds of regulations - why bitch about a regulation that a laying hen have more than 67 square inches of space? That is smaller than a piece of paper. If that kills California poultry production, I am sure that Oklahoma producers will gladly pick up the slack.

Do you think 16 yos would buy booze if it was legal? Do you think people would buy salmon caught out of season if they could? We have all kinds of regulations - why bitch about a regulation that a laying hen have more than 67 square inches of space? That is smaller than a piece of paper. If that kills California poultry production, I am sure that Oklahoma producers will gladly pick up the slack.
Your making my point David but in the mean time while the farm moves states millions of birds are pulled out of production thus causing an inflation in eggs at the grocery store. lol this is the whole point of the topic David. Are you just here to yell at me about how you need rules to live?

Your making my point David but in the mean time while the farm moves states millions of birds are pulled out of production thus causing an inflation in eggs at the grocery store. lol this is the whole point of the topic David. Are you just here to yell at me about how you need rules to live?
Are you equally outraged by Iowa mandating that stores carry factory-farmed poultry and eggs?

Are you equally outraged by Iowa mandating that stores carry factory-farmed poultry and eggs?
Yes, the if I want to eat an egg from a neighbor's small farm, I should be able, just like if I want to go to Walmart and buy a bottle of bleach and drink it I can.

That rule in Iowa actually bothers me more David.

I forget sometimes how dense you are... Reasonable regulations are essential for a civil society. QED.
**** better not let a kid who can kill people with a car have a beer but hey kill fetus's all day. lol I am the dumb one here. David why do you resort to insults when the battle gets difficult?

Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20 and older per mile driven. The motor vehicle crash death rate for male drivers ages 16–19 years was three times as high as the death rate for female drivers in the same age group in 2020.

During the teenage and early adult years, the brain is still developing, making it more vulnerable to alcohol than the adult brain. Moreover, research indicates that the earlier a person starts drinking, the more likely that person will develop serious problems with alcohol or drug addiction later in life

Hum seems like one kills the person while the other can kill OTHER people.

You done @davidallen

Also @davidallen here is a little info on Salmon fishing and why they have seasons.

Salmon are caught in ocean fisheries (i.e. commercial, recreational, tribal) at different times and places because salmon migrate back to freshwater at different seasonal periods. Some salmon and steelhead may return in the spring and summer, while others may return in the fall or winter.

Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20 and older per mile driven. The motor vehicle crash death rate for male drivers ages 16–19 years was three times as high as the death rate for female drivers in the same age group in 2020.

During the teenage and early adult years, the brain is still developing, making it more vulnerable to alcohol than the adult brain. Moreover, research indicates that the earlier a person starts drinking, the more likely that person will develop serious problems with alcohol or drug addiction later in life

Hum seems like one kills the person while the other can kill OTHER people.

You done @davidallen
Let the market decide #amiright JV? Yore inability to discern sarcasm is staggering.

I forget sometimes how dense you are... Reasonable regulations are essential for a civil society. QED.
"Reasonable regulations are essential for a civil society." Couldn't agree more. But governmental regulations are often not reasonable. Reasonsble regulations can come from a free society as easy or easier than a governmentally regulated one.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Let the market decide #amiright JV? Yore inability to discern sarcasm is staggering.
Jim Carrey Ok GIF

I doubt I am the one missing something here.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
"Reasonable regulations are essential for a civil society." Couldn't agree more. But governmental regulations are often not reasonable. Reasonsble egulations can come from a free society as easy or easier than a governmentally regulated one.
And we're regulated at an exponential pace moreso today with government and our political machine. Folks just aren't given a choice. We have to sit back and take what our government "privileges" us with. Democracy got lost somewhere moreso with lib admin. Folks need to pull their melons out of their asses and think for themselves. Might be late in the game though at this point.

"Reasonable regulations are essential for a civil society." Couldn't agree more. But governmental regulations are often not reasonable. Reasonsble regulations can come from a free society as easy or easier than a governmentally regulated one.
Hot Dog GIF by FaZe Clan

So, ummm, who enacted those regulations in Washington State? How about in California?

Hey Dan, you done yore usual diligent research? How did California pass it's measures governing egg production?

I consciously don't post or read this board because of good reasons, but this thread was suggested at the bottom of a Corral thread.

We've had layers for almost 3 years now. They're entirely free-range. The eggs are great.

But the reason I came to post is about something I did not know before and I'm guessing most on this board don't either.

There is no such thing as "consensual sex" in the chicken world. It's 100% rapings or at the very least forced compliance.

Those little Dino birds are odd.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
I consciously don't post or read this board because of good reasons, but this thread was suggested at the bottom of a Corral thread.

We've had layers for almost 3 years now. They're entirely free-range. The eggs are great.

But the reason I came to post is about something I did not know before and I'm guessing most on this board don't either.

There is no such thing as "consensual sex" in the chicken world. It's 100% rapings or at the very least forced compliance.

Woke disagree brother. 👍

But the hen can reject the sperm and not let it fertilize the egg. She just shoots it back out. Roosters are sex addicts.

What breed you running?

Ever seen a buck and a doe mate? Nothing sensual about that.

Certainly have. Bull and cow many times. The consensual part for both species is the female simply moves if the time is not right.

Chickens get pinned down until the deed is done.

@SquatchinPoke RIR, some Easter and olive Eggers and random other breeds.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Certainly have. Bull and cow many times. The consensual part for both species is the female simply moves if the time is not right.

Chickens get pinned down until the deed is done.

@SquatchinPoke RIR, some Easter and olive Eggers and random other breeds.
I love my MMM I have one that is going to win the egg comp at the county fair this year. She used to lay a double yoke now it is just a massive egg. Egg shell is great and the yoke quality is top notch. Very chill birds and great free rangers. I just did a batch of show RIR. Not my favorite.

I am hitting up the auction this weekend. I am trying to get a few things in order then I want to expand the coop and expand into turkeys. I hear turkey eggs are like a duck egg and make great baking eggs. I feel like raising some will also make me a better turkey hunter as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT