ADVERTISEMENT

Earthquake (7/5/19)

Chillwell

Heisman Winner
Jun 16, 2001
I've lived in So Cal now for 19 1/2 years. I just experienced, about three minutes ago, the biggest earthquake I've ever been through. I've been through multiple little ones...this was the first time I ever felt scared.

LA Times is reporting it was a 7.1 near the earthquake from 7/4, which was about 120 miles from me. I felt the 7/4 earthquake, but it wasn't close to the shake I got tonight. Pretty freaky.

Last edited:
Experienced a 6+ one in 1999 in Bogota. At first dizzy and then the Colombians told me what was going on with the swaying. Lasted for a minute or so. Center was miles away though.

Last edited:
I’m sure in reality it probably only lasted 20-30 seconds, but it felt like a minute plus...like it just wouldn’t stop. And it felt more like a rolling sensation than a shaking.

Anyway, this was the first time in my life I got a little freaked out by something like this.

Reactions: OrangePhish
I’m sure in reality it probably only lasted 20-30 seconds, but it felt like a minute plus...like it just wouldn’t stop. And it felt more like a rolling sensation than a shaking.

Anyway, this was the first time in my life I got a little freaked out by something like this.
Much damaged around there?

Big one is coming. Scientific fact, simply a question of when and how big.

I heard it’s roughly a 2% chance of happening any given year.

Big one is coming. Scientific fact, simply a question of when and how big.

I heard it’s roughly a 2% chance of happening any given year.
I hear that a lot. I was listening to some folks from CalTech the other day, and they were saying the most recent activity was on a completely different fault than the San Andreas, which is closer to the coast and the fault line that scare most people out here. I think that's what's scaring most people when they refer to the "big one."

I hear that a lot. I was listening to some folks from CalTech the other day, and they were saying the most recent activity was on a completely different fault than the San Andreas, which is closer to the coast and the fault line that scare most people out here. I think that's what's scaring most people when they refer to the "big one."
Think you are correct. Touched the SA Fault on a geological field trip years ago.
Stayed in Bakersfield one night. Ojai was really cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT