ADVERTISEMENT

Due to it being so slow....

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
Hope all are doing well. Staying as safe as your lifestyle allows (meaning you have to go in to work with people, or are a first responder, etc., not that your sex addiction causes you to hook up with God knows who under God knows what kind of circumstances, not that there's anything wrong with that.....no sireee, I would never think that..... ;))

I just applied for a few controlled hunts at OWD, and hope to get lucky. For a long time, the last weekend available for McAlester is my #1 choice. Got it last year, but still haven't scored on a big one there. Haven't heard for sure if my lease was renewed for the fall, but there is always just a little bit of holding my breath about that as the kids will soon be taking over the ranch, and that always changes things.

So that brings up the thought of what hunts would you want to or plan to do this coming fall?
At this point, I dont' even know if I'll get up to do my biannual flyfishing trip, as the town in Colorado I want to go to still has basically a "no rent to out of towners" policy in place. That would suck not to get to go.

What you got, guys?

Reactions: OhWaco
I have been to MCAAP twice and had a blast. I love how everyone over manages and thinks about where to put their pin. It's so much a crap shoot and I swear the closest site to a road, office, etc may be the best place to be.

I put in for my yearly OK Controlled elk draw yesterday. Noticed the walk-in concept that is 5 days with another hunter. Sounds interesting but would like to know more info. Not sure what and if I will put in for a Controlled deer hunt. When I do these I always pick a bonus hunt outside of normal dates.

I may do a Colorado Elk hunt this fall. I am curious to see what happens to the deer leases in the State and possibly guided hunts in Colorado with the collapse of the Oil and Gas industry as well as just plain layoffs. There are a lot of acres being held up by O&G companies using it as marketing for vendors.

The time is dwindling down for me to do the drop camp for archery elk in Colorado as I'm now 64. Need to bite the bullet and just do it while I can.

That's an interesting point about what might happen to some of the big leases. (Wish we had a OSU outdoor board lease we could manage and enjoy company of other Poke fans.)
I haven't heard yet about my own lease for this fall yet. I never get enough time up there.

I'll probably make it down to Texas to hunt at my bro-in-laws ranch outside Albany a couple of times. Didn't have any mature deer on the ranch in southern OK last year, but had a couple that should be nice this year if they stick around.

Last year was the first year on our lease outside Chandler. It's mainly a duck lease, as it has about a 100 acre marsh on it, but a few deer and pigs were shot off of it. It's a pretty cool place, but its rough on equipment. If it rains an inch, the entire place turns in to a swampy mudhole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT