ADVERTISEMENT

Down comes the hammer on RTC’s

What's SID?

"Sports Information Director."

Basically the intermediary between the program, the media, and the fans. Usually responsible for social media updates and content creation from within the program.

OSU has some VERY good SIDs. Ryan Cameron is one of the best in the business, and has been responsible for golf and women's hoops for the last 15 years and maybe longer. Men's basketball had Courtney Bey, who was also incredible.

Wrestling gets a new intern every two years. Some have been amazing! Some have been more interested in moving on quickly. None have been able to build long standing relationships with media members or the fanbase.

Basically the intermediary between the program, the media, and the fans. Usually responsible for social media updates and content creation from within the program.

OSU has some VERY good SIDs. Ryan Cameron is one of the best in the business, and has been responsible for golf and women's hoops for the last 15 years and maybe longer. Men's basketball had Courtney Bey, who was also incredible.

Wrestling gets a new intern every two years. Some have been amazing! Some have been more interested in moving on quickly. None have been able to build long standing relationships with media members or the fanbase.
Maybe Adam Engel is interested. Dude is fantastic.

I'll believe someone will get in trouble for RTC or tampering when I see it. I'll also believe it when I see it that we are fully stepping into the RTC game. I hope it's true and I'll be one of the first to set up a recurring donation for the RTC. I think there are more people out there than they realize that would pony up some cash for this. I could be wrong.

A very good friend of mine was a intern SID when he was in college at OSU. It was part of his journalism major and he and a couple of others worked directly with the wrestling team. It was during the Jared Rosholt days and he said it was really cool but also kind of a joke because nothing was taken seriously on their end. These are college kids who might have zero interest in wrestling. Need to put someone in that position who cares permanently.

I'll believe someone will get in trouble for RTC or tampering when I see it. I'll also believe it when I see it that we are fully stepping into the RTC game. I hope it's true and I'll be one of the first to set up a recurring donation for the RTC. I think there are more people out there than they realize that would pony up some cash for this. I could be wrong.

You'll be able to do this by the end of the month.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
A very good friend of mine was a intern SID when he was in college at OSU. It was part of his journalism major and he and a couple of others worked directly with the wrestling team. It was during the Jared Rosholt days and he said it was really cool but also kind of a joke because nothing was taken seriously on their end. These are college kids who might have zero interest in wrestling. Need to put someone in that position who cares permanently.
This seems like a no-brainer. Hire good people and the results come. And they need not just a passion for wrestling... they need the drive to help get OSU back on top.

I helped Ryan get started in the SID area when he was in school. We hired him at the Nat. Wrestling Hall of Fame to write for us and do some other related things. Great guy!

I'm holding you to this or I will change my star rating of your Podcast from a 5 to a 4 :)
I'm with Inky on this. Do I think any serious violations will come out-No. I called it cheating from the start and I believe John's position on this was correct. If Penn State and others are not penalized severely or get off entirely then we will have to jump in with both feet and do it quickly. If what Penn State did is not punished than it will become the standard and it will just show how cowardly the NCAA adheres to a double standard. My opinion is that both the way RTC's are allowed to run and the NIL will just commercialize the sport possibly to the point where I and many fans will not care anymore.

NCAA isn’t going to do a thing on either RTC or NIL. They’ve back handed approved the current RTC structure as long as prospective student athletes aren’t involved. They have no interest in getting involved in NIL at this point. They are simply going to sit back and watch college athletics destroy itself. Wrestling is almost a non-factor when it comes to NIL compared to football and basketball. Time for OSU to get onboard.

NCAA isn’t going to do a thing on either RTC or NIL. They’ve back handed approved the current RTC structure as long as prospective student athletes aren’t involved. They have no interest in getting involved in NIL at this point. They are simply going to sit back and watch college athletics destroy itself. Wrestling is almost a non-factor when it comes to NIL compared to football and basketball. Time for OSU to get onboard.
I’m with you as long as we never cooperate with another NCAA investigation again. Tell them to get bent the next time they come calling.

Per a Flo article...PSU's NIL collective raised $120K in its first week. Kerkvliet & Starocci are already benefiting. There was no way PSU was going to let OhioSt & Michigan gain the upper hand on NIL.

Kervliet getting some love. Figured they’d only have room for the title winners. He probably said he’d hit the portal again if he didn’t get a seat at the table.

Willie said possible tampering. Boosters calling wrestlers and telling them to enter the portal & transfer. Wyoming's Buchanan was one of the guys called.

why woukd people do mark branch like that?

imagine all the great individual
small school performances bought off

why woukd people do mark branch like that?

imagine all the great individual
small school performances bought off
Because some big school coaches care more about their team than they do about the sport.

Check out this interview with John - about the 7:40 mark John is asked about Stanford wrestling. John was the only coach to tell Jason Borrelli to keep his guys together while they fought for reinstatement.

So I waited until the end of the month, did I miss the big news about our RTC?

I'm looking at you @leecothran your 5-star podcast rating is in the balance. :)

I know it man I can only go with what I'm told. They're doing the tailgate for Final X so we'll see if they get something out before then.

Working in tech... you'd think I'd know better than to put a date on something! I deserve the rating hit.

I hear you Lee but the bottom line is whether we are able to look back and have John say, "I told you so" or will it be a slap on the wrist to PSU and no real penalties. The way RTC's have been run at Penn State and a few other schools is illegal according to NCAA rules period. They are major violations and it appears to me NIL's and transfer rules are also being violated. If these are not addressed strongly by the NCAA it will cripple wrestling in the future. Iowa, PSU, Michigan and others will dominate for years to come. I am not complaining about John's decisions. I strongly believe he made the right one.

• Haha
I don't think the NCAA is going to be enforcing anything in wrestling... They have punished one program other than us since 91. There aren't enough resources and their hands are full with football and basketball.... Not to mention there is a lot of talk about the entire thing disbanding. Too much uncertainty.

Reactions: osu2082
I don't think the NCAA is going to be enforcing anything in wrestling... They have punished one program other than us since 91. There aren't enough resources and their hands are full with football and basketball.... Not to mention there is a lot of talk about the entire thing disbanding. Too much uncertainty.
I’d agree if they hadn’t just punished Ohio State fencing.

• Haha
I’m skeptical of the NCAA due to:
1990 FB near death penalty.
1993 Wrestling near death penalty
Dez Bryant calendar year suspension for breaking no rules but lying.
Baseball pitcher being suspended during the regional against Wichita State. Sued NCAA and won. Believe his name was Oliver.
Basketball team this season.
I am sure there are many more examples. In all of these cases many others we’re doing the same thing, or worse, and received no punishment.
I would never assume the NCAA isn’t going to punish Oklahoma State. But times have definitely changed.

Reactions: cowboychuck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT