ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Blubaugh Article

Nice little write up by Seth with a video of Blubaugh's Olympic finals match and audio of his HOF induction.

I think I remember this right when Blubaugh was a coach at Indiana during Bobby Knight years there. Wrestlers were in the gym when the basketball team came into the gym and Knight yelled at the Coach and the wrestlers to get the hell out of the gym. Blubaugh took Knight aside and what I remember said something like if you disrespect us again, I will rip your arm off and beat you to death with it. Knight smartly backed down. The story was something like that.

Last edited:
I think I remember this right when Blubaugh was a coach at Indiana during Bobby Knight years there. Wrestlers were in the gym when the basketball team came into the gym and Knight yelled at the Coach and the wrestlers to get the hell out of the gym. Blubaugh took Knight aside and what I remember said something like if you disrespect us again, I will rip your arm off and beat you to death with it. Knight smartly backed down. The story was something like that.
The one I heard was that Doug saw Knight's office and went in to introduce himself since he admired Knight. Knight got up from his desk and started yelling at Doug and told him to get out of the office and not come back unless he was told he could. Who did Blubaugh think he was just walking into Knight's office. Doug started to leave and thought about it and turned around. Knight started poking Doug in the chest and yelling some more. Doug grabbed Knight's finger and bent it to where Knight was on his knees.
Doug then said that he just came in to pay his respects and he doesn't ever expect to be talked to like that again.
After that, every time Knight saw Doug he said hello and smiled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT