ADVERTISEMENT

Double barrel shottys

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
anybody have one? I never realized just how spendy a nice over and under shotgun was until I really started doing some research. Yeah, I had seen the $20,000 guns at shows, but I just figured those were supreme custom made jobbies, but even "cheap" doubles are pricey.

I just found an old Ithaca/SKB model 150 20 gauge side by side for $800. I figured I had gotten taken on the price a bit, but from what I can tell that's about average for even these 1970s Japan made Ithacas. Wonderful gun, tons of fun to shoot and knock around the place, taking out some squirrels and clays.

Looking at the old Ithaca/SKB line from the 70s, I would like to come across a model 600 over and under for a decent price. Check your safes lol. I might be a buyer...

I really want a over under with like a 20 gauge and a 22 mag and man the price is just nuts. I have been looking for a side by side for a while now and I just can't bring myself to pay the amount they want.

I mostly shoot a 20 ga. just because I like them..... and when I started shooting early in life, the best shots I knew gradually challenged themselves more and more using smaller bore guns. For duck or geese or mostly for pheasant where I want to reach out there and touch something, I'll use a 12 mag. but everything else, I love a lightweight, 26 inch barreled 20 ga. shotgun. Just the right blend for me.
That said I'd love to have a new o/u that was custom fit to me. My next big gun purchase possibly this spring I hope.

I really want a over under with like a 20 gauge and a 22 mag and man the price is just nuts. I have been looking for a side by side for a while now and I just can't bring myself to pay the amount they want.

I have an old Savage model 24, .357 mag/20 gauge. Probably my favorite gun in the bunch, and one of my first purchases after I really started diving back into guns. I came across it as part of dumb luck, I was actually trying to find a Savage model 24 in 22LR/.410. I just happened to walk near a small booth that an old man had set up at the Tulsa gun show one spring about 4 years ago. Saw the model 24, and picked it up and saw .357 magnum on the top barrel. At the time, I thought maybe it was a custom made jobbie, I had never even hard of one. I got him down to $550, the old guy thought it was made in the 50s. It looks like it has barely been used.

I've seen this particular gun on GB for quite a bit more, not sure if they bring the kind of money people ask or not. Funny thing, I put a scope on it, and that .357 barrel is a damn tack driver at 100 yards, which you wouldn't think a pistol caliber rifle would be like that. I have used it to take out the occasional fox or coyote, helping my neighbor defend his chickens lol. If the .357 doesn't do the job from a distance, the 20 gauge is the "finisher".

I also have an old Springfield M6 Scout in .22mag/.410. It's my little tractor/squirrel gun, perfect to carry folded up behind the seat of my tractor when I'm out brush hogging.

I dig over and under rifle/shotgun combos. The cool factor is definitely there with these types of guns. Shame they don't make very many of them anymore.

I have an old Savage model 24, .357 mag/20 gauge. Probably my favorite gun in the bunch, and one of my first purchases after I really started diving back into guns. I came across it as part of dumb luck, I was actually trying to find a Savage model 24 in 22LR/.410. I just happened to walk near a small booth that an old man had set up at the Tulsa gun show one spring about 4 years ago. Saw the model 24, and picked it up and saw .357 magnum on the top barrel. At the time, I thought maybe it was a custom made jobbie, I had never even hard of one. I got him down to $550, the old guy thought it was made in the 50s. It looks like it has barely been used.

I've seen this particular gun on GB for quite a bit more, not sure if they bring the kind of money people ask or not. Funny thing, I put a scope on it, and that .357 barrel is a damn tack driver at 100 yards, which you wouldn't think a pistol caliber rifle would be like that. I have used it to take out the occasional fox or coyote, helping my neighbor defend his chickens lol. If the .357 doesn't do the job from a distance, the 20 gauge is the "finisher".

I also have an old Springfield M6 Scout in .22mag/.410. It's my little tractor/squirrel gun, perfect to carry folded up behind the seat of my tractor when I'm out brush hogging.

I dig over and under rifle/shotgun combos. The cool factor is definitely there with these types of guns. Shame they don't make very many of them anymore.
Oh man I have never even heard of that combo. Have to keep my eye out for one of those now. lol

Look for "Savage Model 24 V Series D" when you search in GunBroker or whatever. It's hard to put a specific manufacturer date on these guns, but with what I could figure and find, mine was made around 1980-1982, somewhere around there. That was about the time the series D was being made of the Model 24V Savages.

The other one I would love to have is the Savage Model 24 C, it was a "Campers Special" or something like that, had a butt plate that had access in the stock where you could store extra ammo.

Rifle/Shotgun combos are fascinating. They have a long history, and you can get into some serious money when you get into the "drillings" and "vierlings" (drilling is German for "triplet", "vierling" is quadruple). Some of those older multiple barrel guns made in Germany are amazing. The Nazis had a drilling that they would supply to Luftwaffe pilots for survival guns if shot down. As for American pilots, during the 50s the Air Force issued the "M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon", which is roughly the same as the M6 Scout produced for civilians in the 1970s/1980s by Springfield Armory (later made by CZ in Czechoslovakia, but still distributed by Springfield). The military version was 14 inches in barrel length, chambered in 22 Hornet over .410, the .410 using number 6 birdshot rounds in aluminum shells (I know this because I have a few boxes of the unused aluminum .410 rounds). The civilian barrels were 16 inches.

Blaser's website shows they make some different drillings. I haven't priced those, I'm sure they are ridiculously expensive like most Blaser rifles.

I'll shut up now. I start typing about guns and can't stop lol. My head is filled with all this BS, I eat, sleep and dream about guns all day and night....

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
But, Rulz, you always have something interesting to share. I learn a lot from your posts.

Appreciate it, I don't have a lot of friends that go as deep as I do into the gun world lol. Therefore, i come on here and am able to spew out some of the stuff I have learned over the years. Hell, I'm that guy that goes to the local gun store to have coffee in the mornings and pick the brains of the old guys that come in....some of the older guys have some pretty good knowledge of stuff that we don't see out there everyday now with everyone wanting to jump on the latest and greatest cartridge. Not that I have a problem with that, I am glad we are getting to enjoy all this now, but I really dig the old guns and the history behind them.

I have a little bit of everything and enjoy shooting everything, reloading, a little amateur gunsmithing...I have even dabbled in 3 gun and whatnot. But, as I have said before, age and the degree I have torn up my body over the years doing various things now limits me in how much I can "maneuver". That's why I have been getting some guns together for cowboy action shooting. When it warms up, I'll probably go and jump into a meet somewhere. Which is one of the reasons I purchased the old Ithaca double barrel in the first place. Well...that and I just can't pass up the odd gun here and there, and my war on squirrels can always use another "buddy" lol.

Appreciate it, I don't have a lot of friends that go as deep as I do into the gun world lol. Therefore, i come on here and am able to spew out some of the stuff I have learned over the years. Hell, I'm that guy that goes to the local gun store to have coffee in the mornings and pick the brains of the old guys that come in....some of the older guys have some pretty good knowledge of stuff that we don't see out there everyday now with everyone wanting to jump on the latest and greatest cartridge. Not that I have a problem with that, I am glad we are getting to enjoy all this now, but I really dig the old guns and the history behind them.

I have a little bit of everything and enjoy shooting everything, reloading, a little amateur gunsmithing...I have even dabbled in 3 gun and whatnot. But, as I have said before, age and the degree I have torn up my body over the years doing various things now limits me in how much I can "maneuver". That's why I have been getting some guns together for cowboy action shooting. When it warms up, I'll probably go and jump into a meet somewhere. Which is one of the reasons I purchased the old Ithaca double barrel in the first place. Well...that and I just can't pass up the odd gun here and there, and my war on squirrels can always use another "buddy" lol.

Rulz (and everyone else), check out www.failzero.com A company I helped start (back in 2001) has had amazing success with our special ops people in severe environments. I have my M-4 and my 1911 coated with the technology and it is impossible to gum up or ever jam. the coating loves to work against itself. If you have either a M-4/AR15 or a standard 1911 .45, you can buy a pre-coated bolt carrier group to simply drop in. You will thank me later

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT