ADVERTISEMENT

Dogs

Pouncey8082

Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2013
Looking to get a dog. Primarily indoors but have l big fenced in back yard. We have kids. We had a Dane before and would strongly consider again. Our last Dane was amazing and we really didn’t have any health issues, minus the shorter life span (not a deal breaker).

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with any of the different Doodles?

We are also considering a golden retriever but neither of us has any experience. How much is shedding a problem? Is is reasonably manageable.

Thanks for input. If anyone Which strongly recommended different breed then let me know.

We have a solid black cockapoo. She weighs 19 pounds. Best part is she does not shed or have any odor at all. Great little dog. Extremely athletic and smart. Also gets lots of compliments on her looks.

Golden retrievers are very cool and super smart. But there is a lot of shedding.

I have had several Labs. Have two now and both are certified therapy pets. Highly recommend and they are fantastic around kids. In fact, the youngest Lab goes to an elementary school twice a week all-day. I trained both. We have a pool and they swim all summer…. A lot. Although we have a fenced backyard we can leave them in the front yard and they won’t leave (they know property boundaries).

But Labs are prodigious shedders. My Roomba gets a ton of work.

We have two Aussies. Great dogs - not too big, about 50 lbs each, but do shed somewhat. My son has two Goldendoodles and they seem to be great dogs. I wouldn't call them high strung as much as they are...empathetic. Really like being around humans. And they don't shed, but are expensive to purchase....

I need more information. Do you jog? Is your family out a lot? Do you travel a lot? Since you had a Dane, I doubt size is an issue.

It all depends on your family. If you want a high energy dog for a very active family, there is a group of dogs for that. If you want a med level dog, there is a group for that. Low level, too.

Personally, where I live, I would never have a dog with a long coat. There’s just way too many stickers. I also wouldn’t have a drooling breed either. I love my German Short Hair and Braque du Bourbonnais. I also would not recommend them for most people, but I like to shoot things and they will help me kill stuff.

I have a golden doodle and he is the best dog. Shedding is not a problem. Scary smart dog. Was super easy to train. Amazing with kids. Other than allergies has not had any health issues. Still acts the same after 8 years. Would highly recommend.

Looking to get a dog. Primarily indoors but have l big fenced in back yard. We have kids. We had a Dane before and would strongly consider again. Our last Dane was amazing and we really didn’t have any health issues, minus the shorter life span (not a deal breaker).

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with any of the different Doodles?

We are also considering a golden retriever but neither of us has any experience. How much is shedding a problem? Is is reasonably manageable.

Thanks for input. If anyone Which strongly recommended different breed then let me know.
Advice from a vet.

Of the breeds mentioned in this thread, I would stay away from Golden Retrievers and Aussie's. Golden Retrievers are one of the 2 most likely breeds to develop cancer (Boxers being the other). Aussie's can be great, but they can also be prone to behavioral issues. Generally they do well with a lot of training and entertaining, but I see a lot of them that are extremely high anxiety patients and that can manifest in various ways.

Another word of advice. Don't forget about grooming. Your Dane just needed occasional baths, but Doodle breeds need to be professionally groomed at least every 2 months. The cost can add up.

Advice from a vet.

Of the breeds mentioned in this thread, I would stay away from Golden Retrievers and Aussie's. Golden Retrievers are one of the 2 most likely breeds to develop cancer (Boxers being the other). Aussie's can be great, but they can also be prone to behavioral issues. Generally they do well with a lot of training and entertaining, but I see a lot of them that are extremely high anxiety patients and that can manifest in various ways.

Another word of advice. Don't forget about grooming. Your Dane just needed occasional baths, but Doodle breeds need to be professionally groomed at least every 2 months. The cost can add up.

We have an Aussie. Great, great dog. Great with kids. Getting better chilling out when a bunch of people are around (only 2 years old)…but it’s taken quite a bit of work. Helps we live on 5 acres and he has access to most of it. So with all of that said, I would recommend one if you’re willing to put in the time.

Also have a mutt. He’s awesome. And a Frenchie…she’s got every allergy under the sun and is constantly battling that. Awesome dog, but won’t get another.

The best though was our boxer. Had to put him down two years ago, and he had cancer, but lived a great life until he was 14. Had the best temperament. Loved everyone. Was great with strangers and strange dogs.

Also have a mutt. He’s awesome.
I'll second getting a mutt - fewer health issues than purebreds in my uneducated, non-scientific opinion.

Both of ours are mutts that came from a puppy rescue up in Brighton, CO. Both as sweet and loving as can be, and have rightfully placed me below the kids and my wife on the totem pole.

As someone who works closely with her local shelter, PLEASE get a mutt from the pound! Most of them are really great dogs who just need a family to love them. Our shelter manager is moving heaven and earth to try to find transport elsewhere in the US, but EVERYONE is full. And yes...mutts have fewer health problems.

The problem we experienced with the pound is that all of the dogs were pit bulls or part pit bull. There were also only large dogs.

We keep our doodle shaved so he looks like a lab. He likes it much better with the heat we have. We do that about twice a year. He gets a bath about every two to three weeks. I wouldn’t say the costs or effort is bad at all.

Reactions: Been Jammin
The problem we experienced with the pound is that all of the dogs were pit bulls or part pit bull. There were also only large dogs.
Tulsa Animal Welfare had something like 400 dogs they needed homes for and OKC isn't doing much better. Pretty sure you can find a small-medium sized dog in that mix. Shelters everywhere are FULL. Our shelter manager is trying to network rescue transports to go up north and even shelters up north are full. Adopt a shelter dog and save two lives--the dog you bring home and the one you make room for.

Don't forget about breed specific rescues as well....

Having said that we are on our third Dalmation. Very smart...active...love people. As with most short hair dogs they do shed though.

Do need a bit of training because of how smart they are. They will watch your family and take over as 'top dog' if they see there is a lack of leadership.

They are certainly velcro dogs that want to be wherever you are and participate in whatever you are doing.

If you take then out and about they get A LOT of attention.

Highly recommend them.

Don't forget about breed specific rescues as well....

Having said that we are on our third Dalmation. Very smart...active...love people. As with most short hair dogs they do shed though.

Do need a bit of training because of how smart they are. They will watch your family and take over as 'top dog' if they see there is a lack of leadership.

They are certainly velcro dogs that want to be wherever you are and participate in whatever you are doing.

If you take then out and about they get A LOT of attention.

Highly recommend them.
Great breed. Hardly ever see them anymore.

I have an Entlebucher (think Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, only about 50 pounds). She is the best dog I’ve ever had. That said, we got her from a great breeder and she cost a small fortune. I was just very certain that she was the beeed I wanted at the time we got her (she is 2). We have also invested time and money into training her.

That said, my next best dog ever was a blue heeler/Dalmatian mix that didn’t cost a penny and lived to be 16 until we had to put her down last year. She was one of the smartest and most patient/gentle dogs I ever saw.

We're on our fourth standard poodle in the last 26 years. Latest is a rescue that we've had three months, and she's a jewel - raw but in process of being trained/polished - and our first with the "whole tail". Poodles are smart and trainable, but as Been said, the grooming costs are not something to be ignored.

Fantastic English Setter breeder our of Ponca. We have been very pleased with both of the dogs we got from him and love this breed.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT